News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: thenetwork on May 09, 2015, 01:58:18 AM
...One of the reasons you watched "The Partridge Family" as a kid was because you liked to see all of the road signs hanging up on the walls when they practiced in their garage....

...only to realize when you got a bit older and wiser that the signs weren't even close to being the real things!!!
For part of the one of the seasons (not sure if it was first or second), the garage wall actually sported a correctly shaped and colored state named (IIRC, it was Ohio) Interstate 70 shield.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on May 11, 2015, 09:36:26 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 09, 2015, 01:58:18 AM
...One of the reasons you watched "The Partridge Family" as a kid was because you liked to see all of the road signs hanging up on the walls when they practiced in their garage....

...only to realize when you got a bit older and wiser that the signs weren't even close to being the real things!!!
For part of the one of the seasons (not sure if it was first or second), the garage wall actually sported a correctly shaped and colored state named (IIRC, it was Ohio) Interstate 70 shield.
In one scene, there was actually a state-named (PA) I-76 shield (in correct colors and proportions) hanging on the garage wall as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TheHighwayMan3561

When your non-roadgeek friends post road pictures and you want to critique them and show them how to do it better next time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

OracleUsr

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 29, 2014, 05:19:46 PM
... while doing sit-ups or push-ups, one counts in route numbers or exit numbers*.

*sequential exit numbers.

I saw this earlier and didn't want to Necro the thread. 

I do this, except I count non-sequential exit number like this:

1...2...3...4...5...6...Harmon Den...8...9...10...11...12...13...14...Fines Creek...16...17...18...19...US 276...etc.

(that's I-40 in NC for those unfamiliar with the exits).
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

US71

I add 10 to the mileposts on I-40 in Arkansas and know how far I am from home ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

thenetwork

When you travel out of state, you take more notice on the signs, assemblies, lights and bridge designs than you do the actual scenery!

noelbotevera

You know you're a young roadgeek if...

you keep screwing up on trying to explain yourself

accidentally derail the NJ Turnpike thread

you keep screwing up in general

you have a feeling you're like ethanman or sr641

you exaggerate too much (that's my style of writing - so sorry to all of you)

you feel kicked out in a thread and stop posting
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

US71

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 22, 2015, 05:57:22 PM
You know you're a young roadgeek if...

you keep screwing up on trying to explain yourself

accidentally derail the NJ Turnpike thread

you keep screwing up in general

you have a feeling you're like ethanman or sr641

you exaggerate too much (that's my style of writing - so sorry to all of you)

you feel kicked out in a thread and stop posting

Could be worse: you could be Calrog  :-o

cappicard

Lol!

I have actually drawn maps of North America and of the US freehand on the chalkboard during recess in the 3rd grade.

I can still do it. A somewhat useless skill? Nope, especially for those times when either Apple and Google are dead wrong!

iPhone

jp the roadgeek

You doodle golf course ideas with holes that involve a fairway with an interstate highway overpass that you either have to hit over or under, or a hole built on an international border where you have to go through customs between the tee and green.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

yakra

...if your sand sculptures at the beach involve grading for dual carriageways, a diamond interchange and driftwood overpass, and seaweed BGSes.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: US71 on December 22, 2015, 04:38:29 PM
I add 10 to the mileposts on I-40 in Arkansas and know how far I am from home ;)

I do the same, except for the next interchange or exit to some town. I have to fudge that on a 119 kilometer (74 mile)-long strecht of freeway that is actually 113 km (70 miles) long, due to kmposts being placed as close as 0.37 miles and as far as 0.93 miles apart (an actual kilometer is 0.62 miles). I'd name that the "Space distortion freeway" if I had not named it the "Pearson S. Trail" before.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Katavia

i make up routes that don't exist  :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan:
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

GCrites

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 22, 2015, 07:44:23 PM
You doodle golf course ideas with holes that involve a fairway with an interstate highway overpass that you either have to hit over or under, or a hole built on an international border where you have to go through customs between the tee and green.

Play some Outlaw Golf on Original Xbox if you want to see a course with the New Jersey Turnpike running through it.

mgk920

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 25, 2015, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 22, 2015, 07:44:23 PM

Play some Outlaw Golf on Original Xbox if you want to see a course with the New Jersey Turnpike running through it.

The Oakmont C.C. near Pittsburgh (a common major tournament stop) straddles the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) and a major railroad.

Mike

brycecordry

Back to the original question:

--If you spend your time looking on Google Maps trying to scout out new routes for interstates using as many four-lane divided expressways as possible.
--If you drive around looking if an interstate would work in that particular corridor.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

SD Mapman

...for Halloween one year you went as an interchange (SD I-90 Exit 107 in my case).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

yakra

* if you considered going as Sine Salad one year, but just never bothered actually making the costume.

* if you know what Sine Salad is.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Henry

Quote from: Katavia on December 23, 2015, 07:20:19 AM
i make up routes that don't exist  :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan:
See, that's the beauty of Fictional Highways! By any chance, do you draw your own highways on road atlases, like I do?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

brycecordry

Quote from: Henry on December 30, 2015, 11:30:22 AM
See, that's the beauty of Fictional Highways! By any chance, do you draw your own highways on road atlases, like I do?

I actually use the "path" tool on Google Earth and draw out my locations for new freeways. It takes a long time, so I only do it on plans which could actually be considered.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

D-Dey65

Anytime you hear about the R&B Group 112, you still think of this:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NY-112.svg

renegade

Quote from: SD Mapman on December 28, 2015, 11:23:10 AM
...for Halloween one year you went as an interchange (SD I-90 Exit 107 in my case).
I would like to see that! :awesomeface:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

yakra

US71

Not sure if this counts, but I was investigating a road washout near Witter, Arkansas and found myself directing traffic around the barricades.

D-Dey65

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.