News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

Quote from: amroad17 on October 09, 2014, 03:28:02 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 08, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
When you're bored in class you do stuff like this https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15291564900/
That, young man, is classic!!!  :nod:  And, very good.

Agreed. That's pretty cool.

QuoteWait, you forgot I-575.

You know you're a roadgeek when you notice that.  :)
(On that note, you forgot I-24 as well)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

adventurernumber1

Here's my best GA map Ive ever made.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15467443766/

Most of my maps are like this. Like I said, the one I did in class was just a quick doodle, lol.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

signalman

I thought of this thread while looking at my Facebook news feed.  While looking at pictures of the rallying in the streets of Ferguson, MO, I enlarged the pictures to see what the downtown streets and signals looked like.

Zeffy

Quote from: signalman on November 27, 2014, 03:19:07 AM
I thought of this thread while looking at my Facebook news feed.  While looking at pictures of the rallying in the streets of Ferguson, MO, I enlarged the pictures to see what the downtown streets and signals looked like.

I found myself going on Google Street View in Ferguson while watching a streamer in Ferguson (On West Florissant Ave mostly), and seeing what I could find there.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

You think NH3 (ammonia) should be US3.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Dr Frankenstein

thenetwork

You love watching "The Rockford Files" because of the L.A. Freeway signs seen during the show's opening.

http://youtu.be/tO0Vq4fj3ho

hm insulators

You get a seasonal job packing boxes at an amazon.com warehouse. The boxes are in many sizes; each size is numbered A3 or A7 or S5. One box size is numbered N3, and each time you use that size box, you automatically think of Angeles Forest Highway--Los Angeles County Route N3.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

1995hoo

The TV weatherman sends a tweet about the forecast using hashtag #HOT, denoting hot weather, and you see "HOT" and think of the high occupancy/toll lanes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 27, 2014, 01:37:40 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 08, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
When you're bored in class you do stuff like this https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15291564900/
I've done something like that in a meeting at work yesterday.
The first public meeting on the now-stalled I-93/I-95 interchange reconstruction in Reading/Woburn was a couple of nights before our model railroad club monthly business meeting (and was a subject of discussion at the dinner before the meeting).  When discussions on certain items bogged down with details that didn't need to be recorded in the minutes, I started sketching possible sign legends in my notebook.  At one point, the club vice-president looked over at me, saw what I was doing, and just rolled his eyes and said "Figures."

Still have those sketches somewhere.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 03, 2014, 08:15:06 PMWhen discussions on certain items bogged down with details that didn't need to be recorded in the minutes, I started sketching possible sign legends in my notebook.
I did similar during my 8 AM Expository Writing class during my freshman year in college.  I needed to do something in order to stay awake.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

adventurernumber1

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 04, 2014, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: roadman on December 03, 2014, 08:15:06 PMWhen discussions on certain items bogged down with details that didn't need to be recorded in the minutes, I started sketching possible sign legends in my notebook.
I did similar during my 8 AM Expository Writing class during my freshman year in college.  I needed to do something in order to stay awake.  :sombrero:

Haha, and largely due to the fact I get little sleep each night (thanks to school, and its truck load of homework & projects), many times I'll have to do interesting things in class to stay awake. Especially Biology (not so much of a religious thing, simply because I am not interested in the subject at all).

And I know I'm a roadgeek because..  :sombrero:

Today in Biology (just an hour ago), I was bored out of my mind with a huge packet of cell transport stuff. I saw the word "transport," and I immediately started drawing interstates in a diagram of the cell. I made an I-275 beltway encircling the nucleus, and several other interstates serving the cell. I also made an outer cell beltway (I-475), that closely followed the cell membrane  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

pumpkineater2

If you sit in class drawing interstate shields around every number on the paper that you know is an actual interstate.
And if you always spend several minutes of class drawing perfectly to scale freeways all over your papers. :hyper:
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

OracleUsr

If you sit at a breakfast restaurant in Charlottesville and look at a VA map and wonder if they could make a "name the highways challenge" for the unmarked but obviously highway lines on the map.  Like "number the highways correctly in ten minutes and get a free omelette" or something like that.

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

SignGeek101

Don't know if anyone's said this, but when you look at homework pages, and think of highways that have the same number. For example, if page 95 has exercises related to that day's lecture, you start think of I-95, US 95 etc etc

yakra

My credit card number contains several two-digit state highway numbers. The CVC code is a 3DI, US Route, FM road, State Spur or State Loop or something.
No, I'm not gonna say which ones.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

1995hoo

You have a roadtrip planned for months leaving at a specific time. The day before the trip, you learn the express lanes on the Interstate will be closed at your departure time. So you delay your departure until later in the morning when they are to reopen.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

You see the scores of a sports event, and the numbers remind you of numbered highways. Like an NBA game with a 101-99 final score, CA immediately comes to mind because of the two highways with those numbers that exist there. Same with the standings, as an 85-77 (or 77-85) MLB team calls to mind the Interstate highways that run through Charlotte, NC (which, ironically, does not have an MLB team of its own!).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jrouse

You use route numbers and control cities for your passwords (apologies if this was previously mentioned in the thread)

akotchi

Quote from: yakra on December 05, 2014, 10:38:27 AM
My credit card number contains several two-digit state highway numbers. The CVC code is a 3DI, US Route, FM road, State Spur or State Loop or something.
No, I'm not gonna say which ones.
Or better yet . . . you look at serial numbers on dollar bills for various 2di and 3di combinations out of consecutive digits.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

... while doing sit-ups or push-ups, one counts in route numbers or exit numbers*.

*sequential exit numbers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Nature Boy

You're taking a road trip with a friend of the opposite sex and you are REALLY excited to take them through Breezewood. You hype it and hype it and afterwards, she's like "that was it?"

(this may or may not have happened to me recently)

yakra

Quote from: akotchi on December 29, 2014, 12:01:17 PM
Or better yet . . . you look at serial numbers on dollar bills for various 2di and 3di combinations out of consecutive digits.
Great. Upon reading that I had to pull my wad of cash outta my pocket and inspect it. Hm. The first $10 I found is JA 02928787 A. Hey. The 287/87 multiplex in New York, across the Tappan Zee. OK, that's pretty neat! :D

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 29, 2014, 06:44:30 PM
You're taking a road trip with a friend of the opposite sex and you are REALLY excited to take them through Breezewood. You hype it and hype it and afterwards, she's like "that was it?"

(this may or may not have happened to me recently)
Dude. You have friends of the opposite sex? Wot's it loike? (Ah, I kid, I kid...)
One time back in February or June or whenever, this young lady n I were bipping up I-95, somewhere around mile 40, when during the course of our conversation she asked me what a SPUI was. She seemed genuinely interested. Aw man. Yeah. Good times.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

ajlynch91

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on December 04, 2014, 07:30:57 PM
If you sit in class drawing interstate shields around every number on the paper that you know is an actual interstate.
And if you always spend several minutes of class drawing perfectly to scale freeways all over your papers. :hyper:

Totally did this. And I also numbered all the major halls by Interstate rules ascending from west to east, north to south, and giving 3di numbers to branch halls.

Zeffy

Upon getting a new game with highways in it, you hold up traffic to stare at the signs. While everyone around you is going full speed on a freeway, you are casually going the speed limit following the AI cars.

Okay it's not a new game, but its a new game in the sense that I got the upgraded version for the next generation consoles. The game is GTA V, and the roads in that game are so beautiful. I just wish there was more traffic on the freeways in downtown.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.