News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most popular sports/teams in your area

Started by Sctvhound, August 03, 2017, 09:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on August 03, 2017, 10:05:32 AM
Quote from: Henry on August 03, 2017, 09:57:47 AM
I'll bite with my three hometowns:

Chicago: I don't know enough about DePaul, and seeing that this is Big Ten country, Illinois and Indiana tend to dominate the scene locally.

It's all f-ing Notre Dame.  Even Northwestern gets second billing to the Domers.

Go Irish and Go Huskies! :D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

csw

Most fans in central Indiana like the Colts, IU basketball, Notre Dame football, and the Pacers, in that order. As far as baseball goes, it seems pretty evenly split between the Cubs and Reds, with some Cardinals fans.

Naturally, I can't stand any of these teams, except the Colts and Pacers. Even those two are depressing.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: csw on October 22, 2017, 09:50:11 PM
Most fans in central Indiana like the Colts, IU basketball, Notre Dame football, and the Pacers, in that order. As far as baseball goes, it seems pretty evenly split between the Cubs and Reds, with some Cardinals fans.

Naturally, I can't stand any of these teams, except the Colts and Pacers. Even those two are depressing.
Andrew Luck out till thanksgiving.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

csw

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 23, 2017, 09:07:01 AM

Thanks, I was aware.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: csw on October 23, 2017, 10:56:03 AM

Thanks, I was aware.

And how does Chuck Pagano still have a job?  Should've been let go after that fake punt fail against the Pats a couple of years ago.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 23, 2017, 02:04:09 PM

Thanks, I was aware.

And how does Chuck Pagano still have a job?  Should've been let go after that fake punt fail against the Pats a couple of years ago.
cancer

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Thanks, I was aware.

That was the worst football play I had ever seen. I still watch the youtube video of that if I need a good laugh.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 23, 2017, 07:58:11 PM

Thanks, I was aware.

That was the worst football play I had ever seen. I still watch the youtube video of that if I need a good laugh.
He will most likely be fired after this season.

Desert Man

In my area of So Cal (Palm Springs-Coachella valley), here's the most popular teams:
Baseball - 1. Angels (Palm Springs had spring training site, 1961-93 and Indio CA native family Mike and Tony Reagins), 2. Dodgers (world series fever swept us) and 3. Padres (not really many fans). I noticed newcomers and snowbirds love the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, A's, Giants, Mariners and Blue Jays the most.
Football- 1. Raiders (huge fan base in CA, despite left LA or leaving Oakland again to Vegas), 2. Chargers (now in LA), 3. Rams (back in LA) and 4. 49ers (the best super bowl record 5-1). Other faves are Seahawks, Cardinals, Cowboys, Broncos, Patriots, Giants, Packers and Vikings (Indio CA native Ed(ward) White's alma mater).
Basketball-1. Lakers (big deal here), 2. Clippers (developmental Agua Caliente Clippers play in nearby Ontario CA arena), 3. Warriors (current NBA champs in northern CA) and 4. Kings (a few fans). I noticed an occassional Knicks, Nets, Bulls, Spurs, Mavs, Nuggets and Blazers fan. The Phoenix Suns hosted the outdoor NBA game in Indian Wells tennis garden in 2008-10.
And Hockey - 1. Ducks (closer to Anaheim and the OC), 2. Kings and 3. Sharks. So far, Canucks, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Coyotes, Avalanche, Flames, Oilers and BlackHawks fans winter in the area watch their teams on TVs.

California and Texas claim to be the best sports market state, then let's take a look:
The Houston Astros in baseball defeated the LA Dodgers in this year's world series. but the Oakland Raiders didn't want San Antonio...it moved to Las Vegas 50 miles from CA. The Houston Rockets might move to Las Vegas (attempted in the 1990s), cus the nearby Mavericks & Spurs do better in basketball. And I don't think the Arizona (was Phoenix) Coyotes a 250-mile drive from Indio CA in hockey are moving to Houston, nor Seattle (the all-female city council voted against the arena 5-0, trying a 2nd NBA team proposal). In the 2000s, the Coyotes tried to move to (Las) Vegas, now has the Golden Knights.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Bruce

Quote from: Desert Man on November 09, 2017, 10:43:42 AMnor Seattle (the all-female city council voted against the arena 5-0, trying a 2nd NBA team proposal).

Get your facts straight. The city council, which is majority female (not all), voted against the arena because it was a poor proposal. Also the Port had some meddling, mainly arguing against the use of a street vacation right next to the truck entrance to the container port...while not used often, it's still important to consider.

Skye

A week ago, I probably would have said the Bengals, but resigning Marvin Lewis is probably going to hurt things.

Rothman

Yep.  My cousins are die-hard fans in Fayette County, KY and are furious.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

1. College football. It's a mixture of both Michigan State and Michigan for the most part. Michigan seems to have more fans though.

2. High school football. Saginaw High and Arthur Hill even though both schools have declining enrollment is a big rivalry in Saginaw.

3. NFL. Detroit Lions. Steelers are up there as well they have a former Linebacker from Saginaw named LaMarr Woodley who is pretty popular around here even though he no longer plays for the Steelers. There are some Green Bay fans around here as well.

4. College baseball/basketball. Michigan State is the biggest in college basketball around here. They usually have a top team.

5. MLB. Well the Detroit Tigers pretty much own the landscape for MLB in Michigan. There are a lot of Chicago and Yankees fans here too though.

6. Minor league teams. Midland has the Great Lakes Loons who are a Dodgers farm team, I remember when Clayton Kershaw played for this team. They have a nice stadium for minor league baseball and draw well.

7. NBA/NHL. Pistons and Red Wings just like the rest of the sports teams around here most people are Detroit fans.

8. Golf/tennis. Not big around here really.

Roadgeekteen

NFL and NBA are pretty close for number 1.

bing101

Quote from: Alps on August 03, 2017, 10:44:27 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 03, 2017, 09:50:52 PM
For the San Francisco area

1. Golden state Warriors mainly because of the Rivalry with the Cleveland Cavs in the NBA Finals.

2. San Francisco Giants ok

3. San Jose sharks

4. San Francisco 49ers

5. New England Patriots mainly because News Outlets mention that Tom Brady grew up in San Mateo as a Child.
But perennially, until recently, it was 4-2-1-A's-3? (Don't forget the A's!)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21987900/jon-gruden-named-oakland-raiders-head-coach

Now this the Raiders until they move to Las Vegas is getting attention in my area.

Flint1979

We get that New England Patriots following here too because Tom Brady attended the University of Michigan. I for one don't care about where he went to college or where he played in the NFL. I'm a Chicago Bears fan.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 07, 2018, 01:47:17 PM
We get that New England Patriots following here too because Tom Brady attended the University of Michigan. I for one don't care about where he went to college or where he played in the NFL. I'm a Chicago Bears fan.
How does it feel rooting for a divisional rival in enemy territory?

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 07, 2018, 04:59:19 PM
It's not really as bad as you'd think. There are a lot of Chicago fans mixed in depending where you are in Michigan. I'm closer to Detroit though and never have had any problems.

DTComposer

Quote from: Alps on August 03, 2017, 10:44:27 PM
For the San Francisco area

1. Golden state Warriors mainly because of the Rivalry with the Cleveland Cavs in the NBA Finals.

2. San Francisco Giants ok

3. San Jose sharks

4. San Francisco 49ers

5. New England Patriots mainly because News Outlets mention that Tom Brady grew up in San Mateo as a Child.
But perennially, until recently, it was 4-2-1-A's-3? (Don't forget the A's!)

It depends on what you mean by "perennially." I'd say if you were take "average" of the last 50 years into account (basically since the A's moved to Oakland) it would be something like:
1. Giants
2. 49ers
3. Raiders
4. Warriors
5. A's
6. Sharks

The 49ers were certainly the biggest team in town for the 15-year stretch where they won five Super Bowls, but not as big before or since. The A's were probably bigger than the Giants during their World Series stretches of the early '70s and late '80s. The Sharks are only on the bottom because 1) they're still the new kid in town, and 2) the relative popularity of the NHL compared to the other leagues. They're still well-loved and well-attended.

At this writing, it's probably something closer to this:
1. Warriors
2. 49ers (lots of optimism for next season)
3. Giants (not as much optimism)
4. Sharks
5. A's
6. Raiders (and this is only because they're a lame duck until they move)

No, the Patriots are not any more popular here than any other out-of-market team, Tom Brady's hometown notwithstanding. You're far more likely to get news about teams with recent Stanford or Cal players (Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Christian McCaffrey, Jared Goff, etc.).

Hurricane Rex

Basketball: Portland trail blazers
Football: Slight majority Seattle Seahawks
Baseball: split
Soccer: Portland Timbers
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

slorydn1

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 07, 2018, 05:04:12 PM
It's not really as bad as you'd think. There are a lot of Chicago fans mixed in depending where you are in Michigan. I'm closer to Detroit though and never have had any problems.

^This^
As a young child in the 1970's living in Jenison, Mi it seemed all of my friends and their parents were Bears fans, not Lions fans. Yet baseball wise it was Tigers or bust, no one rooted for either of the 2 Chicago teams.

Now for my current area:

NFL and MLB:
When I first moved here in 1991 we had no local NFL or MLB team to root for. Most lifelong locals pulled for the Washington Redskins in football and it seemed to be a 50/50 split between the Baltimore Orioles and Atlanta Braves in MLB. The next town west on US-70 had the Kinston Indians, which was Cleveland's AA(?) farm club for many years. It seemed when ever a player made it to the big show the local TV stations would give them some love for a few weeks featuring highlights of a hit here or a good play there with Cleveland and then that was it. When the Braves were winning in the mid 90's one almost couldn't find a Baltimore fan. Strangly enough it was the same thing when the Cowboys were winning in the 90's the Redskins pretty much ceased to exist around here. I think we have a bunch of bandwagon jumpers. In this half of the state there are not a bunch of Panthers fans now (though since the Rivera regime turned things around more and more people have started following them).

Actually with the large numbers of military that get out and then stay here in the area (MCAS Cherry Point and MCB Camp Lejune are both in our area) you will find that team alliegances are all over the place. Heck, just between the 6 of us that work on my rotation in 911 you have a Bears fan (me), 2 Steelers fans, 1 Packers fan, 1 Redskins fan and 1 Panthers fan.

NBA: When I first moved here, the Chicago Bulls just starting their run of 6 titles in 8 years, so it was no surprise to me that I was able to find that the majority of people around here pulled for the Bulls. MJ being from this part of NC (Wilmington) didn't hurt matters either. The Charlotte Hornets just never really took a foothold in this half of the state.

NCAA: For basketball its either UNC or Duke or go home. No one cares a wit for NC State. For football its the ECU Pirates-though here again we are starting to see a real watering down of loyalties based on a growing population of "not from here's" and their children. For me personally its Michigan-and there is a Florida Gators fan, and a Duke fan on my shift, not sure about the other half of our rotation.

NASCAR: Its been huge around here, though its beginning to die off because many of us are irritated at all the changes that have occured since Brian France became the Chairman circa 2003. We always had race pools at work, many of us were season ticket holders at various tracks (for me it was Rockingham and Darlington). One of my neighbors had the coveted Bristol tickets handed down from his parents, back when the only way to get tickets to Bristol was to have had older family members who already held the season tickets because the waiting list was like 5 years long. Now its easy to get tickets to Bristol since they screwed up the track in 2008.

Hockey: This was never a big hockey area, though the Carolina Hurricanes seem to do quite well among my neighbors now.

Soccer: In the immortal words of one of my old shift lieutenants from the sheriff's office: "What's that?" Enough said.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Flint1979

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 16, 2018, 03:50:31 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 07, 2018, 05:04:12 PM

^This^
As a young child in the 1970's living in Jenison, Mi it seemed all of my friends and their parents were Bears fans, not Lions fans. Yet baseball wise it was Tigers or bust, no one rooted for either of the 2 Chicago teams.

Now for my current area:

NFL and MLB:
When I first moved here in 1991 we had no local NFL or MLB team to root for. Most lifelong locals pulled for the Washington Redskins in football and it seemed to be a 50/50 split between the Baltimore Orioles and Atlanta Braves in MLB. The next town west on US-70 had the Kinston Indians, which was Cleveland's AA(?) farm club for many years. It seemed when ever a player made it to the big show the local TV stations would give them some love for a few weeks featuring highlights of a hit here or a good play there with Cleveland and then that was it. When the Braves were winning in the mid 90's one almost couldn't find a Baltimore fan. Strangly enough it was the same thing when the Cowboys were winning in the 90's the Redskins pretty much ceased to exist around here. I think we have a bunch of bandwagon jumpers. In this half of the state there are not a bunch of Panthers fans now (though since the Rivera regime turned things around more and more people have started following them).

Actually with the large numbers of military that get out and then stay here in the area (MCAS Cherry Point and MCB Camp Lejune are both in our area) you will find that team alliegances are all over the place. Heck, just between the 6 of us that work on my rotation in 911 you have a Bears fan (me), 2 Steelers fans, 1 Packers fan, 1 Redskins fan and 1 Panthers fan.

NBA: When I first moved here, the Chicago Bulls just starting their run of 6 titles in 8 years, so it was no surprise to me that I was able to find that the majority of people around here pulled for the Bulls. MJ being from this part of NC (Wilmington) didn't hurt matters either. The Charlotte Hornets just never really took a foothold in this half of the state.

NCAA: For basketball its either UNC or Duke or go home. No one cares a wit for NC State. For football its the ECU Pirates-though here again we are starting to see a real watering down of loyalties based on a growing population of "not from here's" and their children. For me personally its Michigan-and there is a Florida Gators fan, and a Duke fan on my shift, not sure about the other half of our rotation.

NASCAR: Its been huge around here, though its beginning to die off because many of us are irritated at all the changes that have occured since Brian France became the Chairman circa 2003. We always had race pools at work, many of us were season ticket holders at various tracks (for me it was Rockingham and Darlington). One of my neighbors had the coveted Bristol tickets handed down from his parents, back when the only way to get tickets to Bristol was to have had older family members who already held the season tickets because the waiting list was like 5 years long. Now its easy to get tickets to Bristol since they screwed up the track in 2008.

Hockey: This was never a big hockey area, though the Carolina Hurricanes seem to do quite well among my neighbors now.

Soccer: In the immortal words of one of my old shift lieutenants from the sheriff's office: "What's that?" Enough said.
I guess it's just the closeness of Chicago and I was there every summer so I started liking the White Sox and that was mainly because I liked Frank Thomas and Jack McDowell. I just chose to go with all Chicago teams and I live in Saginaw. It was harder being a Blackhawks fan around here than anything for awhile but that's kind of lost it's edge especially with the Wings moving to the Eastern Conference.

ftballfan

Where I live now, the pecking order is:
1. University of Michigan
2. Lions
3. Tigers
4. Red Wings
5. Michigan State University
6. Pistons

In most of Michigan, at least one of the Packers, Cubs, Bears, and Patriots are ahead of the Pistons. Outside of Ann Arbor and Lansing, Michigan and MSU are closer to each other in the pecking order

Alps

Quote from: ftballfan on January 21, 2018, 07:27:21 PM
2. Lions
3. Tigers
4. Red Wings
6. Pistons

In most of Michigan, at least one of the Packers, Cubs, Bears, and Patriots are ahead of the Pistons. Outside of Ann Arbor and Lansing, Michigan and MSU are closer to each other in the pecking order
Man, that's a sign how far the Wings have fallen. A few years ago they'd have been #2.

Flint1979

Quote from: Alps on January 21, 2018, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on January 21, 2018, 07:27:21 PM
2. Lions
3. Tigers
4. Red Wings
6. Pistons

Man, that's a sign how far the Wings have fallen. A few years ago they'd have been #2.
Even though Detroit is Hockeytown the Red Wings were never really above the Lions or Tigers. Detroit is a town that goes with the team based on the season and attendance to these teams is based on if they are winning or losing at the time. Like in 2017 the Tigers lost 98 games and their attendance has been declining since 2014 as they are only middle of the pack in the AL in attendance these days.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.