News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NBA Executive Reportedly Says League Will Eventually Have Team in Kansas City

Started by bing101, May 19, 2018, 09:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

The Census definition of "urban" just means an incorporated city of 2500.  And "urbanized area" is one or more "census blocks" (similar concept to a single voting precinct) with a density of at least 1000 people/sq. mi.   

This makes any wide spot in the road anywhere "urban".  It does not mean that anything near that lives in a more realistic definition of an "urban area".  If you add up the TV market size, slightly less than 40% of the country lives in a TV market with an NBA team.  The NHL is significantly lower, due to its absence from the large southern cities of Houston and Atlanta.

dvferyance

Here would be my NBA realignment with 32 teams.
East
Atlantic Division
Boston Celtics
Brooklyn Nets
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Toronto Raptors
Washington Wizards
Central
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavilers
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Milwaukee Bucks
Southeast
Atlanta Hawks
Charlotte Hornets
Memphis Grizzles
Miami Heat
Orlando Magic
West
Northwest
Denver Nuggets
Kansas City Knights
Minnesota Timberwolves
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle Supersonics
Utah Jazz
Southwest
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
New Orleans Pelicans
Oklahoma City Thunder
San Antonio Spurs
Pacific
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings

Life in Paradise

Quote from: dvferyance on June 08, 2018, 08:30:20 PM
East
Atlantic Division
Boston Celtics
Brooklyn Nets
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Toronto Raptors
Washington Wizards
Central
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavilers
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Milwaukee Bucks
Southeast
Atlanta Hawks
Charlotte Hornets
Memphis Grizzles
Miami Heat
Orlando Magic
West
Northwest
Denver Nuggets
Kansas City Knights
Minnesota Timberwolves
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle Supersonics
Utah Jazz
Southwest
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
New Orleans Pelicans
Oklahoma City Thunder
San Antonio Spurs
Pacific
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings

Not bad, but I would recommend that you pull one out of the Atlantic (probably Washington) and put in South East.  Otherwise you have 7 in the Atlantic and 5 in the Central and South East.  They should all be either 5 or 6 each.  The other option would be to move Toronto from the Atlantic to the Central.  That actually might be better since they are closer to the Central teams than Washington is to the SE teams.

JMoses24

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 21, 2018, 01:36:03 PM
The thing is all these smaller cities like St. Louis and Pittsburgh already have an NHL team and I don't think just any city can support both an NBA team and NHL team. Only the real big metro areas are able to do that. I believe the smallest four sport city is Denver but Denver is the largest metro area in about a 600 mile radius and is in the middle of an urban corridor with around 5 million people. Minnesota is the least populated state to have a team in all four. And now the most populated metro area with no teams in any sport is Hartford, CT. Look at Atlanta they couldn't support the NHL and NBA and Georgia is the most populated state without a team in all four sports. Virginia remains the most populated state with no teams although northern Virginia residents are within the Washington, D.C. area that has teams in all four sports. And Iowa is the most populated state that has neither a team or is within a media market of one. Kansas City failed with both the NBA and NHL and St. Louis failed with the NBA. Ohio has a strange case where they have at least one team in all the major sports but none of their cities or metro areas has four teams. Two NFL teams, two MLB teams, one NBA team, one NHL team. I just don't think Kansas City would be a good fit as it's already a failed NBA city.

Mason City, Iowa is a secondary market for the Vikings and parts of southern Iowa are similar for the Chiefs (and used to be for the Rams).

dvferyance

Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 09, 2018, 12:36:39 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 08, 2018, 08:30:20 PM
East
Atlantic Division
Boston Celtics
Brooklyn Nets
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Toronto Raptors
Washington Wizards
Central
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavilers
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Milwaukee Bucks
Southeast
Atlanta Hawks
Charlotte Hornets
Memphis Grizzles
Miami Heat
Orlando Magic
West
Northwest
Denver Nuggets
Kansas City Knights
Minnesota Timberwolves
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle Supersonics
Utah Jazz
Southwest
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
New Orleans Pelicans
Oklahoma City Thunder
San Antonio Spurs
Pacific
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings

Not bad, but I would recommend that you pull one out of the Atlantic (probably Washington) and put in South East.  Otherwise you have 7 in the Atlantic and 5 in the Central and South East.  They should all be either 5 or 6 each.  The other option would be to move Toronto from the Atlantic to the Central.  That actually might be better since they are closer to the Central teams than Washington is to the SE teams.
I moved Washington becasue I thought it made more sense being in the Atlantic than the southeast. Washington DC is closer proximity to cities like Philly and NYC than it is to Atlanta, Orlando or Miami. One division had to have 6 teams anyways.

davewiecking

If given a list of 32 items to be put into groups, the first thing that comes to mind is 6 groups with unequal numbers of items??

Alps

Quote from: davewiecking on June 09, 2018, 08:40:56 PM
If given a list of 32 items to be put into groups, the first thing that comes to mind is 6 groups with unequal numbers of items??
I would have created 9 groups of 4 teams each and just given teams random byes for the empty teams.

Flint1979

Quote from: Alps on June 10, 2018, 12:56:29 AM
I would have created 9 groups of 4 teams each and just given teams random byes for the empty teams.
You mean 8 groups of 4 teams? 9 groups of 4 teams would be 36 teams.

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 10, 2018, 11:36:11 AM
Quote from: Alps on June 10, 2018, 12:56:29 AM
You mean 8 groups of 4 teams? 9 groups of 4 teams would be 36 teams.
I thought we were being ridiculous

Bruce

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 23, 2018, 07:11:26 PM
It seems feasible with Seattle reviving itself as of the major NBA seats of power, but I just don't think Seattle will get an NBA team regardless if it has a WNBA team. Yes, the metro is big enough, but traveling to Seattle is very expensive as with going to other big cities. It's hard to travel to Seattle for an NBA game in the winter due to the harsh conditions on Interstate 90 and other roadways. That I think was one of the factors playing to the Sonics becoming the Thunder in OKC, among other major factors. Yes, it's great having the Sounders soccer team and Seahawks NFL team but I don't think the city of Seattle has enough capital to squeeze a new NBA franchise or revive the Sonics name. This NBA executive is essentially talking out of his own ass thinking KC will get an NBA team. Nope. It failed in Saint Louis and and KC and Missouri can't hold an NBA team anyway despite being able to hold the Chiefs NFL team and the Royals/Cards MLB teams. I think KC's got an MLS team, but it may be on the way out if it isn't already.

Could the NBA build a franchise in say, Montana, Idaho or Wyoming? Nooope. Why? The designated TV markets in these states are too small to hold a large NBA team. Plus, if the Jazz is in Salt Lake City and it's a few hours south of Boise, why does Boise need an NBA team? Makes no sense, does it? Also, Montana only has about 1.1 million people in the state that covers over 500,000 square miles. No NBA team can thrive there, either. The markets are too small to hold them. Wyoming is a scratch because it would be overrun by Denver.

So, if KC is a no go, who would fill the second expansion seat if Seattle was approved to get a new NBA team, then? There aren't a whole lot of options the NBA has to get another expansion team if Seattle gets one.

The arena study released a few weeks ago predicted that 90% of NBA fans traveling to the arena would be from Western Washington (at its most extreme, from Chehalis to Vancouver BC). Attendees from Eastern WA (and beyond) are a non-factor.

Kansas City does have an MLS team that built its own stadium and rebranded itself, to much success. There's no way they'll be relocating soon, especially while under local ownership.

The main factors were the owner's intent to move to OKC (as it always had been, according to the leaked e-mails), the lack of a "suitable" arena (which had been renovated only a decade earlier and praised by Stern), and to piss off the locals.

As far as I'm concerned, the NBA is not welcome in Seattle. They burnt their bridges and long-time fans just fell away from the sport and found better alternatives.

dvferyance

KC has the arena for it. The Sprint Center which is nearly 10 years old now was built to try to bring in an NBA team. There really hasn't been much sports there with the exception of having an AFL team for a few years and a few college basketball tournaments there. Seattle on the other hand would have to build a new arena. I really can't think of any new markets that would be viable for the NBA. I hear suggestions like Las Vegas and Pittsburgh but they already have NHL teams. Maybe Louisville but I am not sure how the university there would feel about having to share the arena with an NBA team. I don't get this whole argument the NBA already failed there so it's out. The NFL failed 3 times in LA and now they have not one but two teams.

bugo

I never thought an NBA team would succeed in Oklahoma City but the Thunder are huge. I never thought that Oklahoma was a basketball state but I was proven wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.