News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sequels you dislike compared to the origi

Started by roadman65, March 02, 2021, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2021, 02:11:24 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2021, 10:35:32 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen the "Star Trek" movies, but I remember being bored and a little let down by the first one, especially since I had been such a fan of the television series. And I never really understood why Khan was the villain brought back for the second movie, as I never really was a huge fan of the "Space Seed" episode where he first appeared. I almost would have preferred a return of tribbles.

After the first movie was successful at the box office but had also cost (for the time) an enormous amount of money to make which Paramount saw as a pyrrhic victory, Gene Roddenberry was kicked upstairs. One of the new creative heads brought in for the sequel watched all the TOS episodes and felt Khan was the perfect villain. If you think about it though, he's really the only "name" villain associated with the entire franchise. The bad guys of the week were usually identified by races, not names and faces. DS9 brought back three TOS Klingon villains of the week (I believe they killed off two, then kept the third one for a few recurring appearances before offing him as well), but only hardcore fans of the franchise would get those references.

Some guys tried making a feature length fan film about Garth of Izar ("Whom Gods Destroy") which got Paramount's attention in a very bad way, and led to their heavy crackdown on Trek fan media.
The Go Fund Me effort and questionable places for the finances really got CBS teed off (they had most to lose) especially since they were starting up the CBS All Access and was going to showcase new Star Trek to drive up subscriptions.  They now were concerned about the money they could lose if someone else was doing a decent Trek online for "free".

vdeane

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 05, 2021, 01:03:49 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2021, 02:11:24 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2021, 10:35:32 PM
It's been awhile since I've seen the "Star Trek" movies, but I remember being bored and a little let down by the first one, especially since I had been such a fan of the television series. And I never really understood why Khan was the villain brought back for the second movie, as I never really was a huge fan of the "Space Seed" episode where he first appeared. I almost would have preferred a return of tribbles.

After the first movie was successful at the box office but had also cost (for the time) an enormous amount of money to make which Paramount saw as a pyrrhic victory, Gene Roddenberry was kicked upstairs. One of the new creative heads brought in for the sequel watched all the TOS episodes and felt Khan was the perfect villain. If you think about it though, he's really the only "name" villain associated with the entire franchise. The bad guys of the week were usually identified by races, not names and faces. DS9 brought back three TOS Klingon villains of the week (I believe they killed off two, then kept the third one for a few recurring appearances before offing him as well), but only hardcore fans of the franchise would get those references.

Some guys tried making a feature length fan film about Garth of Izar ("Whom Gods Destroy") which got Paramount's attention in a very bad way, and led to their heavy crackdown on Trek fan media.
The Go Fund Me effort and questionable places for the finances really got CBS teed off (they had most to lose) especially since they were starting up the CBS All Access and was going to showcase new Star Trek to drive up subscriptions.  They now were concerned about the money they could lose if someone else was doing a decent Trek online for "free".
Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking.  Just because you're not selling the movie doesn't mean you're not profiting from the Kickstarter if you're going to be selling movies made with the same studio built using the Kickstarter funds.  They were practically asking to be shut down.  The fact that the movie took place in the mid-23rd Century and that all this was happening right as Star Trek: Discovery was starting pre-production could not have helped either.

It looks like that crackdown might have relaxed a little, as I've seen fan media released in recent times that exceeds the 15 minutes max per part/30 minutes max total from the original guidelines.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 05, 2021, 10:12:51 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 05, 2021, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on March 04, 2021, 10:20:28 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 03, 2021, 06:40:45 PM
I don't know why Star Wars gets away with that.  Jedi had to copy the same ending as the original.  Can't ever write some original scripts.

But Return of the Jedi has more going on than just the assault on the Death Star - it also has the ground battle and the battles between Luke, Vader and the Emperor.  The original only had the assault on the first Death Star.

And the Empire is defeated by teddy bears

Yeah that was cheesy. The Ewoks were obviously for the younger audience, but that said I'd take the Ewoks over Jar-Jar any day!

A little cheezy, but you needed a primal element that could outsmart the technological prowess of the Empire. After all, Luke switches off his computer in the Battle of Yavin IV and trusts his otherworldly senses. His machinery and tools are stymied by Yoda. It still begs the question how they could have allowed the shield base to be built there in the first place, if they were able to outwit them later on. Maybe they just didn't care until they had something to fight for in the name of the Storytelling Solar Element / Great Golden Master.

A race of Wookiees would have made quicker work for essentially the same effect, but (1) then they'd be able to out-muscle the humans (2) the costumes would have cost more.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.