News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: thspfc on April 17, 2021, 02:22:32 PM
With the Marquette Interchange, Mitchell Interchange, Zoo Interchange, and I-894 all recently done, the only major projects that remain undone in southeast WI are I-43 north of downtown and I-94 between 70th and 16th. A rebuild of the Stadium Interchange, which is needed, would cover a pretty sizeable chunk of the latter, when you consider the approaches to the new interchange on both sides.

I-43 could use a rebuild between the Layton Avenue interchange and I-894, along with a redesign of the I-894 interchange so the NB I-43 ramp enters NB I-41/WB I-894 on the right.

For the time it appears the traffic signal on WI 794 at the Oklahoma Avenue connector has been removed down to the foundations.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
I am well aware of the Milwaukee's long-time opposition to expanding their freeways within their city limits. However, I think this is one case where expansion is warranted. Maybe the DOT should do what they did with the Zoo Interchange Reconstruction: keep the freeway 6 lanes, but build extra-wide shoulders to accommodate a fourth lane in the future. This segment of Interstate 94 needs to be reconstructed sooner rather than later, given the roadway first opened 60 years ago.

Again, how does this benefit the City of Milwaukee?

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 18, 2021, 03:55:06 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
I am well aware of the Milwaukee's long-time opposition to expanding their freeways within their city limits. However, I think this is one case where expansion is warranted. Maybe the DOT should do what they did with the Zoo Interchange Reconstruction: keep the freeway 6 lanes, but build extra-wide shoulders to accommodate a fourth lane in the future. This segment of Interstate 94 needs to be reconstructed sooner rather than later, given the roadway first opened 60 years ago.

Again, how does this benefit the City of Milwaukee?

Thank you for reiterating this. Until WisDOT actually takes Milwaukee's concerns into the discussion, it's not going to happen. Does it need to happen? I think so. Do the residents of the city care if Waukesha County commuters save a few minutes on their commute? Absolutely not. It's a democracy and the power of voters around the construction site matters.

JoePCool14

With the Marquette Interchange, Mitchell Interchange, Zoo Interchange, and I-894 all recently done, the only major projects that remain undone in southeast WI are I-43 north of downtown and I-94 between 70th and 16th. A rebuild of the Stadium Interchange, which is needed, would cover a pretty sizeable chunk of the latter, when you consider the approaches to the new interchange on both sides.

I-43 north of downtown definitely could use some upgrades. Driving from Chicagoland, it's crazy when you go from what you have south of downtown, through downtown, and then when you get north, you're on a subpar, overcrowded, 4-lane freeway for quite some time.

Are there any concrete plans or interest in improving that segment of I-43 anytime soon?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SEWIGuy

In the long run, both I-94 E/W and I-43 expansions are needed.  But I completely understand why the City of Milwaukee wouldn't really be a fan of either.  It has been scarred by a history of over-zealous highway expansion in the past.

The Ghostbuster

What overzealous highway expansion? Only about half of Milwaukee County's freeway system was built, and only two routes were built after the 1974 freeway referendum: the STH-119 Airport Spur (completed in 1978), and the STH-794 Lake Parkway (initially completed in 1999, short extension to intersect Pennsylvania Ave. completed in 2004). Prior to the reconstruction of the Marquette Interchange in 2004, none of the freeways in Milwaukee County were ever expanded (as far as I know). If you are referring to the initial construction of the Milwaukee freeway system when you say "overzealous highway expansion", or to the routes that were canceled in the 1970s, Milwaukee is not unique in that aspect. The Wisconsin Highways website has a great and in-depth history into the highway system of Wisconsin, including the evolution of the Milwaukee freeway system: wisconsinhighways.org.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 19, 2021, 01:01:01 PM
What overzealous highway expansion? Only about half of Milwaukee County's freeway system was built, and only two routes were built after the 1974 freeway referendum: the STH-119 Airport Spur (completed in 1978), and the STH-794 Lake Parkway (initially completed in 1999, short extension to intersect Pennsylvania Ave. completed in 2004). Prior to the reconstruction of the Marquette Interchange in 2004, none of the freeways in Milwaukee County were ever expanded (as far as I know). If you are referring to the initial construction of the Milwaukee freeway system when you say "overzealous highway expansion", or to the routes that were canceled in the 1970s, Milwaukee is not unique in that aspect. The Wisconsin Highways website has a great and in-depth history into the highway system of Wisconsin, including the evolution of the Milwaukee freeway system: wisconsinhighways.org.

I'm fully aware of the history.  I am fully aware of neighborhoods that were cut in two by ROWs cleared for highways that were either never built or partially built.

tchafe1978

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/43crdr/default.aspx

I-43 is supposed to undergo a reconstruction and expansion project starting later this year, from Silver Spring Dr. to WIS 60.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 19, 2021, 11:14:51 PM

I-43 is supposed to undergo a reconstruction and expansion project starting later this year, from Silver Spring Dr. to WIS 60.

Long overdue! That section should've been widened 10-20 years ago...

peterj920

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on April 19, 2021, 11:25:41 PM

The roadbed is completely shot and resurfacing does nothing anymore. Within 2 years of new asphalt it crumbles. With a complete rebuild the road should last for decades to come.

SEWIGuy

Is Silver Spring where it currently goes down to two lanes?

JoePCool14

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 20, 2021, 09:25:22 AM

Correct.

Widening the road that far north would work wonders. I remember driving that route up to Door County both in summer 2019 and 2020. Even with the virus, that stretch was fairly congested. Not to mention the road surface itself is in poor shape. I assume they'll be using concrete on it as well.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 20, 2021, 11:08:51 AM

Correct.

Widening the road that far north would work wonders. I remember driving that route up to Door County both in summer 2019 and 2020. Even with the virus, that stretch was fairly congested. Not to mention the road surface itself is in poor shape. I assume they'll be using concrete on it as well.

Also none of the project (I believe) lies within the City of Milwaukee.

The Ghostbuster

There once was a Wisconsin Senator (Mordecai Lee) who got a budget amendment passed in 1983 that forbade the expansion of Interstate 43 between Bender Rd. and the Ozaukee County Line. It was overturned in the 1990's. Source: http://wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/northsouth.html. I'm surprised the moratorium didn't go all the way south to the Marquette Interchange, but maybe the moratorium only covered the area the senator represented. The Interstate 43 reconstruction and expansion project greatly interests me, and I hope it and the new Highland Rd. interchange (Exit 87) will be beneficial to the corridor.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 20, 2021, 11:31:11 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 20, 2021, 11:08:51 AM

Correct.

Also none of the project (I believe) lies within the City of Milwaukee.

That's also correct. Though if you go straight west, you're in Milwaukee.

triplemultiplex

Maybe we can save everyone time and skip ahead to the part where WisDOT has to kick in some sheckles to Milwaukee County Transit just like the last big court fight over the Zoo Interchange.
The thing about going from a six lane freeway to an eight lane freeway is you can almost always do it without additional right of way and it makes it much easier and safer to handle the traffic coming into/out of the system interchanges.  And in terms of cost, rebuilding and modernizing this stretch of 94 as 6 lanes vs 8 lanes is minor relative to the cost of the whole project.  It's gonna cost a billion dollars whether it has 6 lanes or 8.  I think the only difference would be your bridge widths over 70th, 68th, Hawley, Mitchell, the river, etc; maybe a few extra retaining walls.  A pittance in the scheme of things.  All overpasses would be built to physically span an 8 lane freeway anyway due to shoulder widths and embankments. 

This is one of those situations where I think my peeps in the city should compromise if they can get something out of it.  The car people can expand some more freeways and in exchange, we legalize weed in Wisconsin and use the tax revenue from it to beef up public transit.  Turn that token street car line into a bonafide light rail system; I dunno.  That's right, it's grand bargain time 'sconnie!

SB 43/94/420; the "Legalize Cannabis and Expand the Beltline and Milwaukee Freeways Act of 2021".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 20, 2021, 06:04:54 PM

SB 43/94/420; the "Legalize Cannabis and Expand the Beltline and Milwaukee Freeways Act of 2021".
And you wrote that on 4/20.

dvferyance

I would say I-94 between Waukesha and Oconomowoc needs to be expanded.

thspfc

Quote from: dvferyance on April 20, 2021, 07:43:45 PM
I would say I-94 between Waukesha and Oconomowoc needs to be expanded.
As far west as the WI-83 exit.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on April 20, 2021, 12:11:42 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on April 19, 2021, 11:25:41 PM

The roadbed is completely shot and resurfacing does nothing anymore. Within 2 years of new asphalt it crumbles. With a complete rebuild the road should last for decades to come.

The part of that that is in Milwaukee County is still the patched and bodged together pre-freeway Port Washington Rd (US 141) that was somehow accepted for marking as a full interstate.

Mike

tchafe1978

https://www.facebook.com/WisDOT/posts/4215240631833733

WisDOT is moving away from plywood signs. Not sure if this means they are also moving away from unisigns as well.

JoePCool14

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 21, 2021, 11:43:06 PM

WisDOT is moving away from plywood signs. Not sure if this means they are also moving away from unisigns as well.

They stopped using them in 2017, as they said. WisDOT very much still uses unisigns though. They just print them on big sheets of aluminum with rounded corners which look pretty good. And as they said, they can be recycled at the end of their service, so that's a win.

Here's an example at the western end of WI-11:
https://goo.gl/maps/UdVZB2BLL6SjR8e46

peterj920

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 22, 2021, 10:10:32 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 21, 2021, 11:43:06 PM

They stopped using them in 2017, as they said. WisDOT very much still uses unisigns though. They just print them on big sheets of aluminum with rounded corners which look pretty good. And as they said, they can be recycled at the end of their service, so that's a win.

Here's an example at the western end of WI-11:
https://goo.gl/maps/UdVZB2BLL6SjR8e46

Good call with the high price of wood!

peterj920

Drove on the freeway stretch of US 12 in Walworth County. It was just resurfaced in addition to new concrete below bridges from the state line to Lake Geneva. There's now signals at the stub end. Between Wis 67 and Wis 50, the freeway is in rough shape and will hopefully be worked on soon!

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on April 26, 2021, 12:54:37 AM
Drove on the freeway stretch of US 12 in Walworth County. It was just resurfaced in addition to new concrete below bridges from the state line to Lake Geneva. There's now signals at the stub end. Between Wis 67 and Wis 50, the freeway is in rough shape and will hopefully be worked on soon!
Decades likely.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.