News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

english si

I'm annoyed - we have Monday Night Football being shown on the BBC this season. However it's at midnight to 5am and on their non-TiVoable interactive channel.

Given that BBC2 is the same as BBC News for that time, why not put the Football on BBC2 and let it be far more accessible.

Channel 4 are airing their Sunday Night Game on their main channel, so at least TiVo gives me that game.

Still, three live games a week on free-to-air channels - not just a game on Christmas Day and the Superbowl, plus highlights of the Wembley game. It's gaining momentum here.
---
Away from TV - I gather Dublin are pushing for a second NFL game in Europe (the massive sell out and excellent money-spinner at Wembley being the first).

NYYPhil777

Quote from: english si on September 12, 2012, 05:39:10 AM
I'm annoyed - we have Monday Night Football being shown on the BBC this season. However it's at midnight to 5am and on their non-TiVoable interactive channel.

Given that BBC2 is the same as BBC News for that time, why not put the Football on BBC2 and let it be far more accessible.

Channel 4 are airing their Sunday Night Game on their main channel, so at least TiVo gives me that game.

Still, three live games a week on free-to-air channels - not just a game on Christmas Day and the Superbowl, plus highlights of the Wembley game. It's gaining momentum here.
---
Away from TV - I gather Dublin are pushing for a second NFL game in Europe (the massive sell out and excellent money-spinner at Wembley being the first).
I would be just as annoyed if I too, was living in the UK and having to see two U.S. football teams play at a British venue. That would be a St. Louis Rams "home" game against the defending AFC (but not Super Bowl) champion NE Patriots.
Even though I live in St. Louis, I honestly wish the Rams would move back to Los Angeles. St. Louis cares more about its Cardinals than anything.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Stephane Dumas

Duke87

Quote from: english si on September 12, 2012, 05:39:10 AM

Interesting, I would not have guessed that there would be enough interest for BBC to put it on at all. American football actually has a fanbase in the UK? Who knew!

As for TiVo... eh, I don't see the point in watching a sports game taped, anyway. Once the game is over, you can just look up the results online.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Desert Man

At least the real references returned to work in the NFL, because we do not want another game when the team loses...wins. Last week's Seahawks-Packers game was an example of substitute stupidity to costed one team (the Packers) a win. But not to worry this time, the Packers won by a point against the Saints...and the real refs made the call.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

NYYPhil777

Quote from: Mike D boy on October 01, 2012, 10:27:32 PM
At least the real references returned to work in the NFL, because we do not want another game when the team loses...wins. Last week's Seahawks-Packers game was an example of substitute stupidity to costed one team (the Packers) a win. But not to worry this time, the Packers won by a point against the Saints...and the real refs made the call.
Sure they have the real refs back (woo-hoo) but I'm still suspicious that Goodell might be rigging all games the Saints play against the Saints.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

english si

Quote from: Duke87 on October 01, 2012, 10:18:04 PMInteresting, I would not have guessed that there would be enough interest for BBC to put it on at all. American football actually has a fanbase in the UK? Who knew!
Anyone who has heard how quick the Wembley game sells out? It's at a time when ratings are low (I'd imagine that live sports will always get the highest ratings at that time of day, followed by live news then the programmes that were on earlier, but this time have a signer signing along for the deaf) and you have a small crew doing the analysis, but the game is simply the US TV feed, so no need for a US crew.

And NFL would probably charge little for the rights as they want us Brits to watch it so little expense there - sure every NFL game is televised on premium sports channels, but having them on free-to-air channels makes it much more accessible.
QuoteAs for TiVo... eh, I don't see the point in watching a sports game taped, anyway. Once the game is over, you can just look up the results online.
If all you care about is the score, then sure, just look up the result. While I try and avoid the scores to keep the suspense, I watch Premier League highlights whether I know the score or not - was that goal good? did that team play well, or poorly? etc.

I watched half of the Sunday night game, but felt that at 3am, it was way past bedtime - as on Channel 4 it was TiVoed, so I'll watch the rest tonight. It makes little sense to get halfway and then replace actual watching with the score simply as you went to bed. Plus a n00b like me has to rely on watching games to get myself into the game - which teams are defensive, which play running games, which are good, which are just lucky, where team X is strong, which players they have which are good, etc, etc. Sure, I'm watching one or two games each week, and some highlights of the others, but I'm beginning to be able to have a conversation on the sport beyond the rules and where each team calls home!

Plus with TiVo, I can fast forward the adverts, inane comments where they discuss around the subject while the US have a longer break (partially because you always have more and longer breaks, and because few people want to advertise at 3 in the morning - normally they are trailers for other programmes). Instead of 150 minutes, the second half and meaningful analysis can become an hour long. And most importantly for me, not at silly o'clock in the morning!

The BBC have put last night's game on their web catch-up player, but having it recorded means it's easier to watch it on the big screen, in bits, etc.

mgk920

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on October 02, 2012, 04:35:28 AM
Quote from: Mike D boy on October 01, 2012, 10:27:32 PM
At least the real references (? - MGK) returned to work in the NFL, because we do not want another game when the team loses...wins. Last week's Seahawks-Packers game was an example of substitute stupidity to costed one team (the Packers) a win. But not to worry this time, the Packers won by a point against the Saints...and the real refs made the call.
Sure they have the real refs back (woo-hoo) but I'm still suspicious that Goodell might be rigging all games the Saints play against the Saints.

I don't know about that one, I was at Sunday's Aints @ Packers game and they blew several really bad ones against the Packers that nearly swung the outcome.

:angry:

Mike

texaskdog

BigMattFromTexas

A little late, but my town (San Angelo, TX) was on the Monday Night Football thing, before the game! :D
It was filmed here, and the band is local. The schools are Veribest (6-man school East of Angelo) and Central, our 5A school. It is pretty much stereotypical Texas...
http://youtu.be/nlssMNiWnx0
BigMatt

TheHighwayMan3561

Even I'm pretty impressed at how my Vikes have done so far. I expected them to be better than last season, but a 4-1 start (and the Colts loss doesn't look quite so bad anymore) was better than I expected - the defense looks great and for the most part the offense has played mistake-free ball. I'm not counting my chickens yet though with five division games in the second half of the season.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

A scary moment in the Bears-Lions game: A certain Lions defensive tackle named Suh has put a concussion on Cutler, but the quarterback is able to walk off under his own power. Because Chicago won, Cutler can laugh it off.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

english si

With the NFL game in London, there's been increased talk of a franchise here - the NFL had discussions with the Mayor about getting back on the shortlist for the Olympic Station. The NFL seem to think that it's simply a matter of sorting out the logistics of the long journeys - I reckon there's more: which franchise will move here? will it be part of an expansion? what will they do to the Olympic Stadium to make it hold enough seats (capacity is being reduced as we speak, though the running track can be converted to retractable seats for £200 million, but is 60k seats enough?) to make money off of 8 home games?

And the more trivial matter - what to call the team. London Monarchs doesn't fill me with encouragement - it is, I guess a little better than the "Silly Nannies" - I know you have various tamer names for teams than the parade of big powerful mammals, birds of prey and various types of people known for fighting/manual labour: "dolphins", "cardinals", "saints", "browns" are not scary team names. British Bulldogs would be good, but the UK Aussie rules teams grabbed that.  London Blitz, London Olympians and London Warriors are pre-existing BAFA Premiership teams, so those names are out. I look out the window and see a red kite on the thermals, looking for some meat to eat, but London Kites is just going to confuse.

Here's some ideas I've come up with. Some of the names work with more than one exonym - London Badgers works, for instance:
British Badgers, British Bees, British Bats, British Bucks, British Boars, English Europeans (can't see this one being popular), English Eels, English Oaks, English Angles, London Dockers, London Foxes, London Saxons, London Celts (too close to Colts, probably), London Legionnaires (ie Romans), London Towers (more a basketball name).

1995hoo

Too bad the team in Detroit already has the name, otherwise British Lions would be a fine nod to the history of British rock music (as in the former members of Mott the Hoople).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

You can borrow the name from the fictional future MLB team mentioned in Star Trek DS9.
The London Kings.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: english si on October 31, 2012, 11:40:51 AM"dolphins"... [are] not scary team names.

Yeah, but they are arguably some of the smartest beings in the animal kingdom, after humans.  Some of them are ferocious, although everyone thinks of Flipper.

And not off to a bad start, with a 4-3 record; although the Tanneyhill injury is not bad, it's still kind of questionable. Nobody had terrific aspirations for this season, maybe 6-10, at best.

Alps

How about the London Blighties? London Dickens? The British Humours?

CanesFan27

1995hoo

Colts player picked for "C'mon Man!" last night–click image for video:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Grzrd

Atlanta Falcons CB Asante Samuel is trying to pin a new road-related nickname on QB Matt Ryan: "Matty Black Ice":

"He's Matty Black Ice,'' cornerback Asante Samuel said. "Slick, you don't see it coming.''

triplemultiplex

So it's Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh in New Orleans.  Should be a decent game; I think they'll match up well.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 21, 2013, 05:35:17 PM
So it's Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh in New Orleans.  Should be a decent game; I think they'll match up well.

From a Pittsburgh perspective, this is one of the worst Super Bowls there could be.  The 49ers are looking for a tying 6th Lombardi, and the Ravens are the hated rival.
I already know that the worst part of this game is that one of the teams is guaranteed to win it.

I also started getting tired of hearing about the "Har-Bowl" when there was still 10 seconds left on the clock in the Ravens/Pats game.

But that's just, like, my opinion... man.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

formulanone

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 22, 2013, 01:34:57 PM
I also started getting tired of hearing about the "Har-Bowl" when there was still 10 seconds left on the clock in the Ravens/Pats game.

If it were up to me: no two-week break for the media to endlessly spout about every little detail of the Really Big Football Game.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.