AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north  (Read 40236 times)

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 08:54:11 PM
Re: Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »

My Nevada upbringing, I learned this as "basin and range" topography. It dominates most of central and northern Nevada, and also explains why there's only three real long-haul east-west routes across the state (I-80, US 50 and US 6).

Right -- you don't hear horst und graben outside the geology classroom (did all my collegiate science requirements in geology).  In any case, it was damn good luck that the surveyors back in the 1840's found the Humboldt River channel, which had over time dug itself through several of the ranges, providing a continuous gap that now contains 2 UP (formerly SP and WP) rail lines plus I-80.  Of course, US 50 surmounts one range after another on its way across the state, while US 6 skirts the southern end of the ranges, crossing them at a lower altitude -- but still with significant gradients.  Fortunately for those who will be planning I-11, the terrain is relatively benign, with no major ridges to cross and no canyons to navigate.  It won't be a walk in the park by any means, but it isn't prohibitive either.   

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 04:51:43 PM
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2017, 11:05:44 AM »

My Nevada upbringing, I learned this as "basin and range" topography. It dominates most of central and northern Nevada, and also explains why there's only three real long-haul east-west routes across the state (I-80, US 50 and US 6).

Right -- you don't hear horst und graben outside the geology classroom (did all my collegiate science requirements in geology).  In any case, it was damn good luck that the surveyors back in the 1840's found the Humboldt River channel, which had over time dug itself through several of the ranges, providing a continuous gap that now contains 2 UP (formerly SP and WP) rail lines plus I-80.  Of course, US 50 surmounts one range after another on its way across the state, while US 6 skirts the southern end of the ranges, crossing them at a lower altitude -- but still with significant gradients.  Fortunately for those who will be planning I-11, the terrain is relatively benign, with no major ridges to cross and no canyons to navigate.  It won't be a walk in the park by any means, but it isn't prohibitive either.   

As I suggested several pages upthread, how workable would a crossover between US 95 in the Walker Lake area south of Schurz and NV 208 a short distance south of Yerington, then past Smith and Wellington to US 395 at Topaz Lake be?

Mike

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 10:12:12 PM
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »

As I suggested several pages upthread, how workable would a crossover between US 95 in the Walker Lake area south of Schurz and NV 208 a short distance south of Yerington, then past Smith and Wellington to US 395 at Topaz Lake be?

Mike

Well, there's a substantial mountain range running N-S west of Walker Lake and Walker River.  There is decommissioned Nevada route 2C over a pass, but it's pretty high, climbing from 4100 feet elevation at US 95 up to 6200 feet at the pass.  Could be built but would defeat the purpose of a faster or easier route between Reno and L.V.

Alt US 95 goes around the north end of that mountain range. That route has only a slight rise of a few hundred feet.  But if you zig north on Alt US 95 around that mountain range, you have to zag south to follow NV 208 around the south end of the next mountain range, west of Smith Valley.  You'd end up with a longer route from L.V. to Reno, not shorter.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 08:54:11 PM
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

Mike

Well, there's a substantial mountain range running N-S west of Walker Lake and Walker River.  There is decommissioned Nevada route 2C over a pass, but it's pretty high, climbing from 4100 feet elevation at US 95 up to 6200 feet at the pass.  Could be built but would defeat the purpose of a faster or easier route between Reno and L.V.

Alt US 95 goes around the north end of that mountain range. That route has only a slight rise of a few hundred feet.  But if you zig north on Alt US 95 around that mountain range, you have to zag south to follow NV 208 around the south end of the next mountain range, west of Smith Valley.  You'd end up with a longer route from L.V. to Reno, not shorter.

Bottom line -- unless huge levels of funding are available to get across or through the ranges E and SE of Carson City, the I-11 corridor won't serve Carson City but rather intersect I-80 somewhere around Fernley, with traffic using westward I-80 to reach Reno.  I-580 will remain the sole Interstate connection to the state capital.  Also, such a connection would be more conducive to forming a relatively continuous corridor if an extension east on I-80 and then north mostly along US 95 to the Boise/Treasure Valley region of SW Idaho ends up being selected for further corridor expansion.   

michravera

• Last Login: Today at 05:52:11 PM
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »

What are the current volumes on these roads now(395,95,93)?
rom what I can see they all are well built and have good shoulders. It would make sense to start with passing lanes

US-95 is one of the few places where a 3-lane road actually makes sense!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.