News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Other than Springfield and Washington what are popular city or town names?

Started by roadman65, August 18, 2018, 08:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Revive 755

Max Rockatansky

Beltway

At the other end of popularity are names that are unique.

Front Royal, VA is the only instance of that name (at least in the U.S.)
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

hotdogPi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 18, 2018, 09:40:35 PM
With google, it's hard to stump the band.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-common-town-and-city-names-in-the-u-s-a.html

I'm not sure how that's counting them. There shouldn't be more than one Washington per state, since "Washington Township" isn't being included (the number would be over 100 if it was).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SCtoKC

Hurricane Rex

Paris is decently frequent. Not as frequent as Washington though.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Beltway

Quote from: 1 on August 19, 2018, 09:34:51 AM
I'm not sure how that's counting them. There shouldn't be more than one Washington per state, since "Washington Township" isn't being included (the number would be over 100 if it was).

"Occurrences of Place Name Nationwide"

Cities and towns, counties, and townships.  Virginia doesn't have townships, but there are a number of cases where a county has the same name as a city or town.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on August 19, 2018, 03:04:49 PM

Cities and towns, counties, and townships.  Virginia doesn't have townships, but there are a number of cases where a county has the same name as a city or town.

That's true in North Carolina as well, among others, and like in Virginia, the county isn't necessarily near the city or town with the same name–Richmond County, Virginia, is on the Northern Neck, for example, and in North Carolina Rockingham County is up on the Virginia state line while the city of Rockingham (where the lamented NASCAR speedway is located) is down near the South Carolina state line in (amusingly, given my Virginia example) Richmond County.

Come to think of it, Virginia has a Washington County in far Southwest Virginia (county seat is Abingdon), quite far away from the small town (population 135 as of the last census) of Washington, Virginia, that's the county seat of Rappahannock County and is better known as "Little Washington" due both to the proximity to the Nation's Capital and to the absolutely outstanding Inn at Little Washington located in town.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Penn Township is pretty popular in Pennsylvania.

Fairfield is pretty popular.  Also many that are named after places in the UK such as Manchester, Windsor, Bristol, Middletown, Albany, Plymouth, Chester, Woodbury to name a few 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Zmapper

Of notable places, Bloomington. MN, IL, and IN (and more) all have Bloomingtons that have a regional draw.

GenExpwy

For repeating place names in one state, look at the lists of townships in Indiana and Ohio.

For example, I count 28 Jefferson Townships in Indiana and 24 in Ohio.

Henry

I've seen lots of Concords, Portlands and Wilmingtons on the map as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Lots of towns use city as part of the name

Kansas City, Iowa City, Lowry City, Y City, etc
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Stephane Dumas

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 19, 2018, 04:10:30 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 19, 2018, 03:04:49 PM

That's true in North Carolina as well, among others, and like in Virginia, the county isn't necessarily near the city or town with the same name–Richmond County, Virginia, is on the Northern Neck, for example, and in North Carolina Rockingham County is up on the Virginia state line while the city of Rockingham (where the lamented NASCAR speedway is located) is down near the South Carolina state line in (amusingly, given my Virginia example) Richmond County.

Come to think of it, Virginia has a Washington County in far Southwest Virginia (county seat is Abingdon), quite far away from the small town (population 135 as of the last census) of Washington, Virginia, that's the county seat of Rappahannock County and is better known as "Little Washington" due both to the proximity to the Nation's Capital and to the absolutely outstanding Inn at Little Washington located in town.

Another North Carolina one:

There is an Ashe County, North Carolina but neither Asheville or Asheboro are located there. The fact that Nashville is located in Nash County seems to be an exception to the general rule in NC and Virginia.

South Carolina on the other hand is reasonably good about keeping towns in their same name counties. Dillon is in Dillon County, Florence is in Florence County, Darlington is in Darlington County, Marion is in Marion County.....etc.

Beltway

(Robert Coté, 2002)

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfield

Fairfield is a popular city name but California and Connecticut are the most notable examples using this name.

webny99

Monroe is very, very popular for counties and towns. Less so for cities, though there are some.

Most former presidents - at least the significant ones - have multiple namesakes in every state.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on October 22, 2018, 09:41:37 AM
Most former presidents - at least the significant ones - have multiple namesakes in every state.

Some of them aren't named for the presidents though. (Lincoln MA and NH, every Clinton, and many others)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on October 22, 2018, 09:49:32 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 22, 2018, 09:41:37 AM
Some of them aren't named for the presidents though. (Lincoln MA and NH, every Clinton, and many others)

Yes, coincidence in some cases. There were famous Clintons before the president, and Lincoln is a city in the UK.

It is pretty safe to assume most of the Washingtons, Jeffersons, Madisons, and Monroes are named for their respective Presidents.

michravera

abefroman329

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.