News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Part of overpass on I-95 in NE Philly collapses after tanker fire

Started by Mr. Matté, June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 11, 2023, 04:38:47 PM
Poor US 1 and I-295 and US 130...

Eh, that's honestly probably not too horribly burdened... if you are heading south on the turnpike, presumably you'd either stay on the Nj turnpike or the PA turnpike.

ilpt4u

Quote from: famartin on June 11, 2023, 04:51:00 PM

Eh, that's honestly probably not too horribly burdened... if you are heading south on the turnpike, presumably you'd either stay on the Nj turnpike or the PA turnpike.
Hopefully the NJTP is advertising the closure along the TP via VMS, and same for NJDOT along I-295 and other routes

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2023, 03:45:57 PM
Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 09:09:45 AM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 11, 2023, 08:48:58 AM
https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philly-overpass-tanker/13368736/

Truck was under the overpass from northbound exit 30 to Cottman Avenue (Tacony neighborhood). Looks like this was a relatively new overpass (GSV shows it in by 2016) but I guess you can't exactly design for high temperature fires all the time.
While high (and low) temperature are pretty bad for steel, and hard to design for (cough... world trade center), I have a different question about all this.  I wonder if there was a reason for the driver to stop under the bridge? The only way to get where he ended up is by taking exit 30 from the highway.  Stopping literally 100 feet earlier would leave the fire burn in the open; pulling another 100' forward would be a fire in the middle of an intersection...
Of course, it's possible that driver noted something in a rear view during the turn off-ramp, and didn't think much about anything else...

I believe the truck driver took the ramp too fast, hit the bridge abutment, crashed, and stopped disabled under the overpass. It wasn't a case where the truck just suddenly caught fire in mid-travel and the driver decided to abandon it under an overpass.
Now that is the way to end trucking career!

Dough4872

https://www5.septa.org/bulletins/until-further-notice-septa-is-adding-extra-capacity-and-service-due-to-i-95-bridge-collapse/ SEPTA will be adding extra capacity and trains to the Trenton, West Trenton, and Fox Chase lines to help commuters affected by the closure.

bwana39

The I-40 bridge in Oklahoma was 2 months and it was presumed to be extraordinarily fast. They got lucky because a vendor had a set of (prestressed concrete) beams in process for another project that was less than an inch different.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-40_bridge_disaster

That is the whole thing here. Are there any steel beams that meet or exceed the requirements available to fabricate the replacements from?  Once they get the steel and details cut, you can probably have them welded / drilled in a matter of weeks. A week or two to assemble them on site. Then 2-3 weeks for the concrete work. If (and that is a big IF, ) the steel to build the beam assemblies  out of is readily available, you might could make this happen in 6-weeks. If the beams have to be imported or forged / extruded, you can be adding months to this project. It could be as little as 5-6 weeks, more likely 8-10 weeks or even longer if the materials are not ready.

The Hernando DeSoto Bridge repair (Memphis) took over 10 weeks in a breakneck 24-hrs process.

I would expect that both NB & SB will have to be replaced. Hopefully the damage to the adjacent spans and the bents are minimal if at all.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/uNprLN8HYJCDfrqW9
A GSV image of the structure. The news got it wrong. It's not Cottman Avenue proper. It's the ramp to it from I-95 NB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Luckily steel beams can be formed pretty quickly, and being this was replaced not too long ago, as-built plans are readily available. One of their emergency contractors were probably already chosen today and this will most likely be moving quickly this week to get this project started.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2023, 06:17:34 PM
Luckily steel beams can be formed pretty quickly, and being this was replaced not too long ago, as-built plans are readily available. One of their emergency contractors were probably already chosen today and this will most likely be moving quickly this week to get this project started.
Not really.  Steel delivery times are currently quite long in the area.

I suppose a premium will be made to get to the front of the line somewhere, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on June 11, 2023, 06:14:22 PM
A GSV image of the structure. The news got it wrong. It's not Cottman Avenue proper. It's the ramp to it from I-95 NB.

There's a shitload of news reports about it. Which one are you referring to? It's the Cottman Ave offramp, so any reference to Cottman Ave/PA 73/Exit 30 is close enough.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2023, 06:19:17 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2023, 06:17:34 PM
Not really.  Steel delivery times are currently quite long in the area.

I suppose a premium will be made to get to the front of the line somewhere, though.

Sounds a bit different from what I said. Beams can be formed quickly,  correct?

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 10:49:37 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 11, 2023, 10:46:30 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:40:59 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 11, 2023, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:22:50 AM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?
The technology you keep trying to push is only good in an ideal world, Kernals.

Impact font memes in 2023. Sure, buddy.
Can you make it even smaller?
I can try.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2023, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 11, 2023, 06:14:22 PM

There's a shitload of news reports about it. Which one are you referring to? It's the Cottman Ave offramp, so any reference to Cottman Ave/PA 73/Exit 30 is close enough.

The one in the OP link.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 11, 2023, 10:46:30 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:40:59 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 11, 2023, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 11, 2023, 10:22:50 AM
They say the bridge will be closed for weeks. But can't they use accelerated bridge construction and replace it in a day or two?
The technology you keep trying to push is only good in an ideal world, Kernals.

Impact font memes in 2023. Sure, buddy.

I'm more taken aback at kernals calling himself a clown.  That's some unexpected introspectiveness.

Dough4872

https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philly-overpass-tanker/13368736/ Updates from 6abc, looks like the closure of I-95 will last for "several months" . Governor Shapiro plans to issue a disaster declaration tomorrow.

ixnay

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 11, 2023, 08:10:39 PM
https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philly-overpass-tanker/13368736/ Updates from 6abc, looks like the closure of I-95 will last for "several months" \. Governor Shapiro plans to issue a disaster declaration tomorrow.

As did the 1996 closure. 

Philly is a bastion of organized labor.  As the poster of post #8 of https://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/3423857-portion-interstate-95-collapses-philadelphia-after.html suggests... well, this repair might get d r a w n out.

OTOH Georgia is IIRC a RTW state.  Did that help expedite the I-85 repair process?

hbelkins

Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 09:40:25 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2023, 09:37:55 AM
Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 09:35:19 AM
Quote from: 1 on June 11, 2023, 09:16:13 AM
and hard to design for (cough... world trade center)

Almost nothing can be designed for someone intentionally trying to destroy it. The World Trade Center in particular was designed to survive accidental hits for those intending to land at an airport in New York but encountering too much fog (i.e. fuel almost empty).

This tanker fire wasn't intentional, but it collapsed anyway.
If you will, a very tangential argument would be that WTC steel had fire protection, while road bridges steel usually doesn't. I suspect cost (primarily extra weight of the structure) vs benefit (one accident in decade?) would likely be on a wrong side...
WTC also used asbestos.  I wonder if people would approve of DOTs spraying all their bridges with the stuff. :D
As far as I understand, today they are still spraying concrete on steel - and I would think without asbestos. Not sure if there are any other additives like mineral fiber, but  asbestos is definitely not there.

Asbestos abatement is called for in a number of Kentucky's bridge replacement projects.

Quote from: ixnay on June 11, 2023, 08:18:16 PM
https://6abc.com/interstate-95-collapse-i-95-fire-philly-overpass-tanker/13368736/ Updates from 6abc, looks like the closure of I-95 will last for "several months" . Governor Shapiro plans to issue a disaster declaration tomorrow.

As did the 1996 closure. 

Philly is a bastion of organized labor.  As the poster of post #8 of https://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/3423857-portion-interstate-95-collapses-philadelphia-after.html suggests... well, this repair might get d r a w n out.

OTOH Georgia is IIRC a RTW state.  Did that help expedite the I-85 repair process?

I'm sure federal prevailing wage requirements will be in effect for this project, even though the truck's insurance company will ultimately be responsible for the costs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on June 11, 2023, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 09:40:25 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2023, 09:37:55 AM
Quote from: kalvado on June 11, 2023, 09:35:19 AM
Quote from: 1 on June 11, 2023, 09:16:13 AM
and hard to design for (cough... world trade center)

Almost nothing can be designed for someone intentionally trying to destroy it. The World Trade Center in particular was designed to survive accidental hits for those intending to land at an airport in New York but encountering too much fog (i.e. fuel almost empty).

This tanker fire wasn't intentional, but it collapsed anyway.
If you will, a very tangential argument would be that WTC steel had fire protection, while road bridges steel usually doesn't. I suspect cost (primarily extra weight of the structure) vs benefit (one accident in decade?) would likely be on a wrong side...
WTC also used asbestos.  I wonder if people would approve of DOTs spraying all their bridges with the stuff. :D
As far as I understand, today they are still spraying concrete on steel - and I would think without asbestos. Not sure if there are any other additives like mineral fiber, but  asbestos is definitely not there.

Asbestos abatement is called for in a number of Kentucky's bridge replacement projects.

Quote from: ixnay on June 11, 2023, 08:18:16 PM

As did the 1996 closure. 

I'm sure federal prevailing wage requirements will be in effect for this project, even though the truck's insurance company will ultimately be responsible for the costs.

Is the abatement needed for coating of the steel or due to utility lines running along the bridge?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bwana39

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2023, 06:25:10 PM

Sounds a bit different from what I said. Beams can be formed quickly,  correct?

Yes, but....

You have to have the ingots in an alloy that meets or exceeds the requirement. You have to tool the extruder or forge to make the correct size and configuration of beam. If you had proper ingots in the soaking oven you could PROBABLy have the beams in a week, less if you don't worry about quality checks. Our US capacity to make large beam stock domestically is literally 25% of what it was in the 1970's. Imported steel has riddled the US Steel industry. Until the 1980's you could have had the material needed custom manufactured at either Port Arthur Texas or Bethlehem PA.  Most of the Beam stock made in the US today is from Nucor.  It has neither the capacity nor the flexibility that the legacy US plants would have had.

I would suggest a minimum of a month if everything goes smoothly. I might suggest one "perhaps", . If the state of PA uses a standardized or generic beam stock for lots of different bridges, they may have either stock or manufacturer's reserve and the bare beams will not have to be manufactured.

Then there are details that have to be fabricated and attached to the beams. After you finally get the beams installed ,then you have to start work on the concrete. First the deck, then the barriers. Eventually you have to stripe it and get it ready.

EVEN if the correct beams are available in the USA, you are still looking at 6-8 weeks if construction starts tomorrow.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

jeffandnicole

Notice that not a single person has said "oh, if we only had the green detour route signage to follow to get around the collapse".  Biggest waste of signage in PA.

Dough4872

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 11, 2023, 11:57:47 PM
Notice that not a single person has said "oh, if we only had the green detour route signage to follow to get around the collapse".  Biggest waste of signage in PA.

Those color-coded detour routes are better suited to short-term incidents where a quick detour onto nearby parallel surface roads would suffice. However, a long-term detour onto such roads would strain the local road network and more planning is needed to establish detours onto roads better suited to handle the traffic volume for an extended closure. As mentioned in this thread, there are many alternate routes to I-95 for both local and long-distance traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 12, 2023, 12:05:30 AM

Those color-coded detour routes are better suited to short-term incidents where a quick detour onto nearby parallel surface roads would suffice. However, a long-term detour onto such roads would strain the local road network and more planning is needed to establish detours onto roads better suited to handle the traffic volume for an extended closure. As mentioned in this thread, there are many alternate routes to I-95 for both local and long-distance traffic.

The point is, they've never once been mentioned. And good luck finding any situation anywhere in the state where they've been used.

roadman65

Well Michigan shuts down freeways on purpose to replace bridges. If the Detroit area gets by without I-75, I'm sure Philly can handle it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 11, 2023, 05:07:10 PM
Quote from: famartin on June 11, 2023, 04:51:00 PM

Hopefully the NJTP is advertising the closure along the TP via VMS, and same for NJDOT along I-295 and other routes

NJDOT had messages on the signs on 287 in the Middlesex/Somerset area today. I'll bet they'll have them on every sign on every major roadway for a while.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 12, 2023, 01:15:58 AM
Quote from: Dough4872 on June 12, 2023, 12:05:30 AM

The point is, they've never once been mentioned. And good luck finding any situation anywhere in the state where they've been used.

The only time I saw it used was in 2015 or so when I was heading south on I-81, and it was closed for an incident south of PA 233 (Exit 37).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2023, 01:55:59 AM
Well Michigan shuts down freeways on purpose to replace bridges. If the Detroit area gets by without I-75, I'm sure Philly can handle it.

When has I-75 (or any other urban freeway in Michigan) been shut down for more than a weekend or few days?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.