March Madness 2018 and Conference Tournaments

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, February 27, 2018, 11:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

So after the first day of tournament proper, all three Pac 12 bids are gone. It has never happened before that one of the major conferences get busted out so early. Now that is something.

Also, there are no Washington DC area teams on the March Madness this year, for the first time in 40 years.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 27, 2018, 11:50:31 AM
It's about time! March is around the corner, and the conference tournaments have already begun. The Atlantic Sun tournament started yesterday, and four teams have already taken out from the contest for their auto berth. Today the Big South and Patriot tournaments follow suit. There are four teams that existed in 1948 that have never made it into the March Madness: Army, The Citadel, St. Francis Brooklyn and William & Mary (Northwestern was also in this list until they got an at-large berth last year). Three teams cannot make the March Madness due to failure to meet the required Academic Progress Rate: Alabama A&M, Grambling State and SE Missouri State (originally Savannah State was also banned, but they got a waiver; next year they will play their last Division I season). Finally, I now consider March Madness 2013 to have never taken place :bigass:.

I now proceed to announce the names I'll know each of the venues. As we know, I refuse to recognize naming rights as the companies who purchased them don't pay me (changed names are in bold):
First Four:
Dayton: UD Arena

First and Second Rounds:
Pittsburgh: Penguins Arena
Wichita: Sedgwick County Arena
Dallas: Mavericks Arena
Boise: BSU Pavillion
Charlotte: Charlotte Bobcats Hornets Arena
Detroit: Detroit Events Center
Nashville: Nashville Arena
San Diego: Aztec Bowl Arena

Regional Semifinals and Finals (the finals a.k.a. "quarter-finals" by me):
Los Angeles: L.A. Arena
Atlanta: Hawks Arena
Boston: Boston Garden
Omaha: Omaha Arena and Convention Center

Final Four:
San Antonio: Alamodome

I've already selected my full roster for my spoof, which consists of association football teams :sombrero:. I'll do the seeding after next weekend but before Selection Sunday, and then place the teams in the corresponding placements once Selection Sunday is done.

So you won't recognize any of the other sponsors but have no problem promoting Alamo Car Rental??
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 16, 2018, 06:33:02 AM

Also, there are no Washington DC area teams on the March Madness this year, for the first time in 40 years.

The University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 27 miles from the District line says "hi".  To be yet more nitpicky, so does the joint UVA-VT (even has its own Metro stop) NOVA center.  But, yeah, the massive decline into irrelevance of programs like Georgetown, Maryland, and even George Mason is significant. 

tchafe1978

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 16, 2018, 08:42:14 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 27, 2018, 11:50:31 AM
It's about time! March is around the corner, and the conference tournaments have already begun. The Atlantic Sun tournament started yesterday, and four teams have already taken out from the contest for their auto berth. Today the Big South and Patriot tournaments follow suit. There are four teams that existed in 1948 that have never made it into the March Madness: Army, The Citadel, St. Francis Brooklyn and William & Mary (Northwestern was also in this list until they got an at-large berth last year). Three teams cannot make the March Madness due to failure to meet the required Academic Progress Rate: Alabama A&M, Grambling State and SE Missouri State (originally Savannah State was also banned, but they got a waiver; next year they will play their last Division I season). Finally, I now consider March Madness 2013 to have never taken place :bigass:.

I now proceed to announce the names I'll know each of the venues. As we know, I refuse to recognize naming rights as the companies who purchased them don't pay me (changed names are in bold):
First Four:
Dayton: UD Arena

First and Second Rounds:
Pittsburgh: Penguins Arena
Wichita: Sedgwick County Arena
Dallas: Mavericks Arena
Boise: BSU Pavillion
Charlotte: Charlotte Bobcats Hornets Arena
Detroit: Detroit Events Center
Nashville: Nashville Arena
San Diego: Aztec Bowl Arena

Regional Semifinals and Finals (the finals a.k.a. "quarter-finals" by me):
Los Angeles: L.A. Arena
Atlanta: Hawks Arena
Boston: Boston Garden
Omaha: Omaha Arena and Convention Center

Final Four:
San Antonio: Alamodome

I've already selected my full roster for my spoof, which consists of association football teams :sombrero:. I'll do the seeding after next weekend but before Selection Sunday, and then place the teams in the corresponding placements once Selection Sunday is done.

So you won't recognize any of the other sponsors but have no problem promoting Alamo Car Rental??

As far as I know, the Alamodome is named after the actual Alamo, not the Almao Car Rental Company.

ET21

#MACtion with Buffalo screwing up 99% of the brackets  :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Eth

Quote from: ET21 on March 16, 2018, 10:53:31 AM
#MACtion with Buffalo screwing up 99% of the brackets  :-D :-D

Including mine (well, not too badly, I only had Arizona in the Sweet 16, no farther). Though I'm more annoyed at falling just a couple minutes short of looking like a genius for taking Stephen F. Austin.

I missed six games yesterday, but fortunately Arizona was the only one of those I had winning next round anyway.

jeffandnicole

I went with all the favorites across the board in my bracket at work (w/ Nova winning it all).  Usually I don't do that, but...

...for the College Football bowl series, using the list I got, which consisted of Team A vs. Team B, I picked all the Team B's.  Didn't even look at the teams.  I wound up tying for first place, winning half the pooled money.

So, simple worked for me once this year already!! :-)

hbelkins

My team's road just got a lot less bumpier. Buffalo took Arizona out, and one of Virginia's star players is out with a broken wrist. Given this year's team's youth and inexperience, anything beyond a regional semifinal is gravy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on March 16, 2018, 10:05:55 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 16, 2018, 06:33:02 AM

The University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 27 miles from the District line says "hi".  To be yet more nitpicky, so does the joint UVA-VT (even has its own Metro stop) NOVA center.  But, yeah, the massive decline into irrelevance of programs like Georgetown, Maryland, and even George Mason is significant.

Calling UMBC "Washington, D.C.-area" is a bit of a stretch.  It'd be like calling Kenosha, WI "Chicago-area."

Buck87

It has finally happened....a 16 seed has taken down a 1

And it was a 20 point beatdown to boot

UMBC 74 Virginia 54

LM117

Quote from: Buck87 on March 16, 2018, 11:39:09 PM
It has finally happened....a 16 seed has taken down a 1

And it was a 20 point beatdown to boot

UMBC 74 Virginia 54

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

CNGL-Leudimin

I woke up expecting to write up "Quinto" (the team that replaces Virginia) in my parody bracket, only to wound up writting "Mazaleon" (the one in Maryland-Baltimore County place) instead. I was like, "SERIOUSLY?". My main bracket is totally busted, as I predicted Virginia to be champion, as do my others that had VA in the Final Four (But make Villanova and Gonzaga champions respectively. Yes, I'm predicting Gonzaga to take the title :sombrero:).
Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 16, 2018, 10:49:59 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 16, 2018, 08:42:14 AM

As far as I know, the Alamodome is named after the actual Alamo, not the Almao Car Rental Company.

This.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

On the womens' side, UConn just laid 140 on St. Francis (PA).  94 in the first half.  Broke the NCAA tournament single game record early in the 3rd quarter, and only 9 points less than the all-time NCAA record for any womens' game.

UVa destroyed my bracket too.  Had them losing to Nova in the championship game.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on March 16, 2018, 01:41:00 PM
My team's road just got a lot less bumpier. Buffalo took Arizona out, and one of Virginia's star players is out with a broken wrist. Given this year's team's youth and inexperience, anything beyond a regional semifinal is gravy.

And now a Final Four appears to be destiny for UK if they don't revert back that four-game-losing-streak form.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Buck87

The South is now the first ever region to have none of its top 4 seeds advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

ET21

Who had Loyola in the Elite 8???! Cause I didn't....
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

Basketball season is over. All I have left is to root for Duke to lose.

US 89

Quote from: ET21 on March 23, 2018, 08:48:50 AM
Who had Loyola in the Elite 8???! Cause I didn't....

Even Sister Jean, their 98-year-old chaplain, had them losing yesterday's game because she wanted her bracket to be realistic.

Alps

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on March 23, 2018, 07:56:41 PM
Go Blue!

I'll do my best. Even though I live in Massachusetts, I can campaign in competitive NH-01, which is only a few miles away from me.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Alps

Blue continues to go, and setting up a Final Four matchup with sweetheart Loyola. I already know which side of the bracket I want to win.

ftballfan

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:41:16 PM
Basketball season is over. All I have left is to root for Duke to lose.
Or Dook, as they are commonly called

CNGL-Leudimin

Of my three picks to win it all, now only Villanova remains. Yet somehow I see Loyola taking the title. What a crazy South bracket has been: the top seed was already out by the Second Round, no top 4 seeds remained by the Sweet Sixteen, and no top half seeds played in the quarterfinals (I know any round of 8 as "quarterfinals" regardless of the official name). Nothing of this had happened before.

CNGL-Leudimin

I like how the "right" semifinal is going to be what I had predicted as the Championship Game last year: Villanova vs Kansas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.