News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maximum Commute Distance

Started by webny99, February 16, 2018, 08:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

The longest commute I been through would be from Solano County to Sacramento when I was going to College and its an hour drive in each direction.

Also I have done a commute to the San Francisco area and its 1.5 hour commute in each direction per day from the same location.

ftballfan

My uncle drives every day from Winchester, VA to Romney, WV for work (about an hour). I would imagine there are plenty of people that commute from Winchester to the DC area (Winchester to Dulles Airport is just under an hour according to Google Maps)

7/8

The longest commutes I've had were around 20-25 minutes for a co-op job in Guelph and for University. I would be hesistant to take a commute longer than 30 minutes. Thankfully, the job I'm starting on Tuesday is only 10-15 minutes away. My best commute was for a co-op job in St. Catharines; it was a 3 minute walk from my apartment to my desk!

My Mom used to commute from Brampton to downtown Toronto by driving to the GO station and then taking the train to downtown. It would take 1-1.5 hours, which must have been crappy.

ET21

Job 1: 3 min drive or 5-10 min bike ride from my parents house

Job 2: About a 7 min drive from my apartment while at school, after I graduated that turned into a 60 mile drive from home. Only took stagehand shifts that could cover gas $$ and still come out with a profit (mainly concerts or big sporting events).

Internship: Only drove from school, which would be about 50 miles, took about 45-50 mins due to Sunday traffic

Job 3: 20 min drive from home mainly using 3 streets.

Job 4: Before I moved out of my parents, would be an hour in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Now its only 30-40 mins after living closer.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on May 19, 2018, 11:55:05 PM
My best commute was for a co-op job in St. Catharines; it was a 3 minute walk from my apartment to my desk!

On the other hand, I have a friend who used to commute from St. Catharines to Toronto! That would have been absolute crap, between the distance and the traffic. There's not a hope of making that trek inside of an hour, and especially not at rush hour, when I imagine planning for two hours wouldn't have been unrealistic.

US 89

My uncle used to commute from his home College Station to work in Houston, which was about 100 miles each way. He now lives in Cypress, which is only 25 miles away.

doorknob60

Quote from: doorknob60 on February 23, 2018, 06:39:05 PM
My longest commute was 22 miles. Roughly 30 minutes in the morning, and 35-45 in the afternoon (record was about an hour). Now I moved closer and it's 9 miles and 15 minutes in the morning, roughly 20 in the afternoon unless there's snow or an accident (record about 50 minutes).

Update, I moved. Now it's about 4.5 miles, which takes 12-15 minutes. There's never been enough traffic to significantly affect commute times. There's even a major construction zone in the middle of it, which hasn't been a problem either. All that really matters is if I end up having to wait for certain signals or not (the main road I go on does not really have a progression system, as the roads it intersects are busier). Even though the time is nearly the same (without traffic), it feels so much faster and it's really the perfect amount of commute for me. Traveling on not-terribly-busy 2 lane 30 MPH streets instead of rush hour packed 6-8 lane freeways makes a big difference  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.