News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Longest construction zone?

Started by vtk, September 05, 2011, 06:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmsandw

SB I-55 near Mt. Olive, IL has a sign posted "Road Work next 53 miles"
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

UCFKnights

Quote from: rmsandw on September 12, 2011, 12:17:15 AM
SB I-55 near Mt. Olive, IL has a sign posted "Road Work next 53 miles"

I had to bump this topic for the sign I saw today on i-75. I believe it said "road construction next 87 miles", starting in Marion County and all the way through Alachua County here in Florida. The other impressive part of this is on the portion I drove, it seemed like you could always see an "Uneven Pavement" at all times. I'm fairly confident they had a sign on both sides of the freeway, and both northbound and southbound at least every half mile if not more, so if it did infact keep up the pace throughout the work zone, they would have posted about 700 "Uneven Pavement" signs for this construction project. I kind of feel like on a project this long and simple (its just resurfacing, minus one interchange getting guardrail and really minor roadway modifications), they should have just divided into smaller sections, and maybe even just did one side of the road at a time. When I drove down it, they had one lane done the for at least 40 miles without work on the other 2 lanes starting (and they appear to have done this on each side of the road).

mgk920

What's the length of the current I-35 zone in central Texas?

Mike

tckma

What was the length of the extension of the car/truck lane split extension from exit 8A down to exit 6 on the NJ Turnpike?

Failing that, when I was in college I used to take I-80 to I-380 to I-81 to get between campus and my parents' house.  I remember I-380 in Pennsylvania being under construction and single-laned in each direction for its entire length for at least a full year and a half while it was COMPLETELY resurfaced, down to the dirt road bed.  This would have been in the late 1990s, back when PA still had sequential exit numbers.

TheHighwayMan3561

I remember the first phase of the recent rebuild/widen of I-90 between Rockford and Elgin was something like 35 miles of work. And it was all 45 MPH speed limit. Ugh.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Perfxion

If time is a factor, longest construction zone is I-45 south of downtown. They been working on it for like 60 years. By the time they are almost "finished" widening the road, they are re-widening it because of new growth and expanion.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

leroys73

For what felt like a thousand miles on I-65 in Kentucky there was a construction area for over a year with the speed limit 55 and absolutely no work of any kind could even be imagined in about 90% of it.  I figure stretches like this are just so fines can be doubled. 

On the subject of construction, so many times I see construction zone signs still up and barrels along the side of the road long after it is obvious the construction is finished.  There are even weeds and small trees growing near the signs and barrels.  It is no wonder some drivers don't slow down in these zones.  I think they just leave them there as a place to store them until the next project.

I do like the zones that state fines double when workers are present. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

RobbieL2415

NYSTA likes em long.  I got stuck in a ~7 or 8-mile one-lane squeezedown on I-90 west of Syracuse.  It was part of a full rehab of both carriageways.

ET21

Longest I've seen is about 24 miles, with I-90 in Illinois
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Jardine

I-29 from Council Bluffs Iowa to Loveland Iowa was closed all summer in 2011.  First 100+ days was water over the road, and then (IIRC) another month of scrubbing the slime off the surface and fixing the shoulders.  15-20 miles m/l.

The substance deposited on the road surface was surprisingly resistant to scrubbing.  The contractor noted sweeping appeared to remove it, but if the pavement became wet, it was still dangerously slippery from the residue.  They had to hose it down and sweep it wet to get the stuff off.

All lanes both directions were closed.  Huge annoyance . . .

bzakharin

The longest I personally have driven through is probably the already mentioned NJ Turnpike widening project which, by the way, was 33 miles long.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on May 12, 2016, 02:10:10 PM
The longest I personally have driven through is probably the already mentioned NJ Turnpike widening project which, by the way, was 33 miles long.

But it was 26 separate contracts, so they were just a bunch of 1 1/4 mile construction zones!  :-D

The Turnpike Authority did an impressive job maintaining traffic thru that 33 miles without any fanfare whatsoever.  When one builds what is essentially a 2nd, 6 lane highway directly next to an existing 6 lane highway, while maintaining a 55 mph speed limit (actual speeds were much higher), it was basically done as if the public shouldn't have been inconvenienced at all.  When lanes had to be closed, they were generally closed for good reason.  I don't recall any all-night closures of the highway for overhead overpass or sign installations, unlike what other states put their drivers thru. 

The biggest issue was the lack of shoulders, so when someone had car trouble or an accident, it immediately reduced the lane availability.  But whenever possible, the cops would try to take up as little lane as possible, trying to at least keep the incident lane partially open.

ILRoad55

Definitely think the Northwest Tollway construction in Illinois has been the longest I've seen.

I remember when there was construction on that 80/94/294 stretch in Illinois and Indiana. That felt long and felt like years of work, and it was like one project after another

ftballfan

Been through some long projects, especially on I-75 in southern Georgia

slorydn1

Back in the mid 90's to early 2000's it seemed like I-95 in GA was under construction from Savannah all the way to the FL border.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

US 81

Quote from: mgk920 on May 09, 2016, 09:53:03 AM

Mike

I drove thru this week. IIRC, it ran from around Lacy Lakeview (north of Waco) to south of Salado (just south of Temple-Belton), roughly sixty (60) miles.

[If I had known there would be a quiz, I would have paid more attention to the endpoints]

Tom958

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 02, 2016, 10:00:41 PM
Back in the mid 90's to early 2000's it seemed like I-95 in GA was under construction from Savannah all the way to the FL border.

IIRC, I-75 from I-475 to I-675 (49 miles) and from US 411 to the Tennessee line (60 miles) were under construction at the same time, too. Not one big project, but adjacent projects with overlapping timeframes.

djlynch

Quote from: mgk920 on May 09, 2016, 09:53:03 AM

Mike

At one point, it was 53 miles from the Williamson/Bell county line (MM 277) to SH6 on the south side of Waco (MM 330), plus another 20-odd miles between northern Waco and just south of Hillsboro, but the expansion between SH 6 and the Brazos River was done prior to the other work starting.

dvferyance

Back in the 90's there was a work zone on I-43 in Walworth County that I believe was 26 miles long.

CNGL-Leudimin

I don't think I've seen longer than 10 miles. That is the longest one I've driven, on Spanish N-232 Northwest of Zaragoza, as works have recently started to duplicate it into A-68.

Anyway, I believe the whole German autobahn network (8000 miles) is a construction zone now :-D.
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2011, 12:55:52 AMThe person or business entity making this post (herein referred to as "I") is curious as to why the person or business entity making the post quoted herein (herein referred to as "You") has posted in a manner similar to that of a lawyer or other person who writes contracts, specifically writing the number in words, then following it with the number written in figures. This was done two (2) times.

The person or business entity making this post (herein referred to as 'I') enjoyed reading the post quoted herein and regards it as one of the best posts ever.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

codyg1985

I-65 through central Kentucky is currently being widened under a few separate contracts between Exit 58  and Exit 91. I think work along I-35 in central Texas in 2013 was one of the longest construction zones I have seen.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

westerninterloper

A sign on southbound US 23 leaving Michigan and entering Ohio at Toledo:

I-75 I-475 Construction: Next 50 miles

The construction is not continuous, but covers about 40 of those 50 miles on either route (downtown Toledo or through Maumee) down to Findlay, Ohio.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TEG24601

Between 2000 and 2008, I remember 20-40 mile contraflows along I-90/80/94 while replacing the concrete roadways through Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

coatimundi

Not that long, but the entire 16-mile stretch of I-680 in Iowa - from I-80 to I-29 - is currently under construction. I guess it's not as impressive since I-680 continues just south of there, but it tried my patience.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.