News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

Quote from: Alex on December 30, 2015, 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on December 30, 2015, 03:12:30 PM
I drove DE 1 through the now mostly finished auxiliary lane project between US 40 and DE 273 and took a couple pictures of the signs that went up in conjunction with the project.  The gantries are (at least from what I've seen, correct me if I'm wrong) new to the state, but the signs themselves leave something to be desired.

Bob C. shared a pic of one with me a few weeks ago and stated the same thing about them being the first monotubes used in Delaware. I concur with both of you.

As for the design, at least they don't read "MUST EXIT", but they have the usual misuses of Clearview.

I was gonna say, the awkward spacing and sizing kind of reminded me of those signs on the Newport Viaduct.  The lettering isn't nearly as horrid, but nonetheless..

👉😎👉

davewiecking

Quote from: ixnay on December 22, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
I just signed up for that list.  I don't how long you have been on that list, dave, but when detours are lifted, does DelDOT notify you?

ixnay
Consider yourself notified. New culvert is MUCH wider than just road width.
(DE20 still closed at US113.)

Alex4897

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2016/01/08/bridge-connect-riverfront-south-wilmington/78428348/

Per DelawareOnline, funding has been secured for the new Christina River crossing at the Wilmington Riverfront, to be dubbed 'New Sweden St.'  Alongside this news came a flyover + ground level animation of the proposal.  DelDOT seems to be pointing to a Summer 2017 start and Fall 2018 completion for the entire project.

Hopefully the new signage isn't as bad as the animation's.  :ded:
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on January 08, 2016, 05:24:16 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/videos/news/local/2016/01/08/78505014/

Per DelawareOnline, funding has been secured for the new Christina River crossing at the Wilmington Riverfront, to be dubbed 'New Sweden St.'  Alongside this news came a flyover + ground level animation of the proposal.  DelDOT seems to be pointing to a Summer 2017 start and Fall 2018 completion for the entire project.

Hopefully the new signage isn't as bad as the animation's.  :ded:

Will take that signage over the either non existant signage for US 13 Business elsewhere in Wilmington,  or the many references to the route as mainline US 13.

Didn't know about this bridge otherwise. I was surprised to find that new shopping center between Walnut and Market when browsing through GSV. Looks like the long range goal is to replace more of the old industrial landscape with new development.

mariethefoxy

with the talk of Massachusetts moving to mileage based exits and Connecticut moving towards that eventually, are there any plans for Delaware to move to mileage based exits? My wish list would be if they could remove those confusing kilometer exit numbers on Route 1 and replace them with proper mileage based exits. I doubt the USA is moving to the metric system any time soon.

Alex4897

Quote from: mariethefoxy on January 08, 2016, 09:32:20 PM
with the talk of Massachusetts moving to mileage based exits and Connecticut moving towards that eventually, are there any plans for Delaware to move to mileage based exits? My wish list would be if they could remove those confusing kilometer exit numbers on Route 1 and replace them with proper mileage based exits. I doubt the USA is moving to the metric system any time soon.

I haven't seen any talk about this from DelDOT.  All of the new interchanges along DE 1 have been either signed with kilometer based exit numbers, or simply none at all (DE 30).  Future exits, such as the US 301 toll road, also have kilometer based numbers.  As for the interstates (which are signed with sequential exit numbers), they aren't adding any new interchanges so the inevitable shifting of exit numbers that would occur upon the addition of a new exit isn't spurring the conversation at all.
👉😎👉

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alex4897 on January 08, 2016, 10:18:32 PM

I haven't seen any talk about this from DelDOT.  All of the new interchanges along DE 1 have been either signed with kilometer based exit numbers, or simply none at all (DE 30).  Future exits, such as the US 301 toll road, also have kilometer based numbers.  As for the interstates (which are signed with sequential exit numbers), they aren't adding any new interchanges so the inevitable shifting of exit numbers that would occur upon the addition of a new exit isn't spurring the conversation at all.
So all of the mileage based signs that remain will stay, and won't be replaced by kilometer based numbering, but new projects will have the kilometer based numbering (that involves building freeways)?

Alex4897

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 09, 2016, 06:23:19 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on January 08, 2016, 10:18:32 PM

So all of the mileage based signs that remain will stay, and won't be replaced by kilometer based numbering, but new projects will have the kilometer based numbering (that involves building freeways)?

We're not talking about mile markers, we're talking about exit numbers of which there are none that are based on mileage.  I-95 / 495 has sequential exit numbers, and DE 1 has kilometer based exit numbers.  Nothing is being replaced because none of those roads are changing their exit numbering systems.

Unrelated, but I just checked and it appears that the US 301 toll road will have mileage based exit numbers. Hmm..
👉😎👉

mariethefoxy

Isnt there some sorta federal mandate they have to comply with? As far as conversion they have a pretty easy time since they only have 3 freeways with sequential numbers (I-95, I-495, DE 141) and they aren't very long nor do they have a lot of exits.

vdeane

Given that distance signs and milemarkers are in miles on DE 1, IMO DE 1 should switch to mile-based exit numbers.  It's confusing to have them be km-based when everything else is in miles.

Also, DE 141's exit numbers would appear to not need changing for a mile-based system based on the measuring I did on Google Maps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: vdeane on January 09, 2016, 04:58:05 PM
Given that distance signs and milemarkers are in miles on DE 1, IMO DE 1 should switch to mile-based exit numbers.  It's confusing to have them be km-based when everything else is in miles.

Also, DE 141's exit numbers would appear to not need changing for a mile-based system based on the measuring I did on Google Maps.

theyre off slightly. If you go by wikipedia it should be:

Exit 1A-B -  US 13/40 Wilmington Dover
Exit 2A - I-295 North Delaware Memorial Bridge
Exit 2B - I-95/495 US 202 Wilmington
Exit 2C - I-95 South Newark Baltimore
Exit 3A - S James Street Airport Road
Exit 3B - DE 4 Newport Stanton
Exit 4 - DE 62 Boxwood Road
Exit 5A-B - DE 2/41 Elsmere Newark

vdeane

Only if you round down.  IMO that's a terrible way to do mile-based numbers - they should be rounded to the nearest milepost, even if that's the next milepost instead of the previous one.  Airport Rd (and by extension DE 4) would still be off under a strict interpretation, but I'd be fine with them the way they are.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2016, 06:59:25 PM
Only if you round down.  IMO that's a terrible way to do mile-based numbers - they should be rounded to the nearest milepost, even if that's the next milepost instead of the previous one.  Airport Rd (and by extension DE 4) would still be off under a strict interpretation, but I'd be fine with them the way they are.
IMO it doesn't matter one iota which method you choose, as long as you're consistent.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mariethefoxy on January 09, 2016, 11:08:47 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 09, 2016, 04:58:05 PM

theyre off slightly. If you go by wikipedia it should be:

Exit 1A-B -  US 13/40 Wilmington Dover
Exit 2A - I-295 North Delaware Memorial Bridge
Exit 2B - I-95/495 US 202 Wilmington
Exit 2C - I-95 South Newark Baltimore
Exit 3A - S James Street Airport Road
Exit 3B - DE 4 Newport Stanton
Exit 4 - DE 62 Boxwood Road
Exit 5A-B - DE 2/41 Elsmere Newark

In the traditional sense, US 13/40 isn't really a numbered interchange because it's in a local, non-highway area where interchanges generally aren't numbered. I wouldn't have an issue with it being signed as Exit 1A/B though.

Alex4897

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5869

And so it begins.
Construction on Delaware's first DDI will begin early this spring.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5949

And yet another interchange project has begun, the South Frederica interchange on DE 1 started the other day.  We now have 4 major interchange projects going on at once on DE 1, woo!
👉😎👉

ekt8750

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 22, 2016, 09:46:07 AM
http://www.deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5949

And yet another interchange project has begun, the South Frederica interchange on DE 1 started the other day.  We now have 4 major interchange projects going on at once on DE 1, woo!

Great to hear! Is the goal to eliminate all of the at grade intersections in that corridor? I go to the DE Beaches and OCMD a lot and I know how DE 1 gets on its bad days.

froggie

QuoteGreat to hear! Is the goal to eliminate all of the at grade intersections in that corridor? I go to the DE Beaches and OCMD a lot and I know how DE 1 gets on its bad days.

Not really.  The goal appears to be to eliminate existing signals and prevent new signals from being needed, but the goal does not appear to be full access control.

Alex4897

Quote from: froggie on March 22, 2016, 06:56:29 PM
QuoteGreat to hear! Is the goal to eliminate all of the at grade intersections in that corridor? I go to the DE Beaches and OCMD a lot and I know how DE 1 gets on its bad days.

Not really.  The goal appears to be to eliminate existing signals and prevent new signals from being needed, but the goal does not appear to be full access control.
The overall quality of some of the ramps points to this also, they're a lot narrower and the corners are a lot tighter than ramps you'd see on a corridor that's supposed to be converted to a full freeway.  The DE 9 interchange comes to mind, I've used the southbound DE 1 on ramp a couple times and the merge is just uncomfortable between the sharp corner and the lack of a real shoulder.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1052469,-75.4554772,3a,75y,104.03h,79.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_XZLpTJ4fe-BCnl4Ko994g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
👉😎👉

mariethefoxy

Quote from: froggie on March 22, 2016, 06:56:29 PM

is the end result some sort of Jersey freeway type arrangement?

froggie

No.  The goal is an arterial with fewer traffic signals.

cpzilliacus

A better idea - get rid of the U.S. customary units of measurement. 

In spite of what right wing radio talk show hosts want people to think, a very large part of the U.S. economy is already metric, including liquor and wine, nearly all motor vehicle parts and all pharmaceuticals. 

Anything that a U.S. manufacturer hopes to sell in an EU nation must be made using Metric dimensions, which means that in most cases, it is easier for them to just build everything using those dimensions.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 19, 2016, 07:44:19 AM

A better idea - get rid of the U.S. customary units of measurement. 

In spite of what right wing radio talk show hosts want people to think, a very large part of the U.S. economy is already metric, including liquor and wine, nearly all motor vehicle parts and all pharmaceuticals. 

And soda, which strangely use both measurements.  2 liter bottles & 20 oz bottles, 12 oz cans and 500ml (16.9oz) bottles.

jeffandnicole

And we could bring up the 3-1-1 at the airports, which actually shorts us.  In the rest of the world, it's 100ml, which is actually 3.4oz (and what is permitted, but good luck with most people understanding that).

vdeane

I don't care what measurement system DE 1 uses, as long as it uses the same one for exit numbers, distance signage, and milemarkers.  Either put the distance signage and milemarkers back to km or switch the exit numbers to miles.  I can work with miles, I can work with km, but I can't convert between the two willy-nilly; when in Canada, I drop the US units and think in metric (where I'm familiar enough with the metric to do that, which in practice means distance signs and speed limits, but not gas stations, weather reports, or thermostats), but with DE 1, one has to constantly convert the km-based exit numbers back to miles in order for them to be useful.  When I traveled that road, I had no reference to neither how close I was to my destination nor how many exits were in between.  At least everywhere else, I'd have one or the other.

And I-95 and I-495 should really be switched off of sequential (I'd like to see exit numbers on I-295 as well).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.