News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is up with Mississippi?

Started by HemiCRZ, November 16, 2018, 12:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnutella

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 20, 2018, 12:41:47 PM
Quote from: HemiCRZ on November 16, 2018, 12:10:34 AM
- US 49, are they ever going to upgrade this to a freeway from Jackson to Hattiesburg, or are they just going to keep building the redlights.

MDOT is currently widening a portion of US 49 to six lanes in Rankin County, but I believe it is just that; no upgrading it to a freeway.

That segment in Rankin County is in bad shape too, with lots of hobby-horsing. It's a much-overdue upgrade.

golden eagle

Quote from: froggie on January 12, 2019, 10:42:30 AM
Quote from: golden eagleRe: US 49, the central Mississippi highway commissioner once floated the idea years ago of upgrading to an interstate, but it was just talk.

It wasn't just talk.  It became part of "Vision 21" that was passed by the state Legislature in 2002.  Of course, the Legislature's refusal to raise taxes or find other funding to build out "Vision 21" is a big reason it hasn't gone anywhere.

I had also heard of a proposal to build an interstate from Jackson to the coast, and that the proposed I-310 could possibly serve as the southern leg of it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.