News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

S.C.'s I-526 extension

Started by brownpelican, October 20, 2010, 12:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

http://www.scdot.org/I526/default.shtml

I just happened to stumble upon this while browsing SCDOT's Web site. Looks like a draft EIS has been completed on the will-be-completed-in-the-future extension of Interstate 526 from the current western end at Savannah Highway (U.S. 17) to the James Island Expressway (S.C. 30), running through West Ashley, Johns Island and James Island.

The site does have the proposed alignments of the extension, with a proposed interchange at Maybank Highway (S.C. 70).

FLRoads

According to the website, SCDOT's preferred alignment calls for at-grade intersections and a regulated speed limit between 35mph and 45mph. The preferred alternative map, otherwise known as Alternative G, shows at-grade intersections with two new connector roads on Johns Island that will link the proposed road with River Road. Also noted is that the current end of SC 30 at SC 171 will also be an at-grade interchange once the route is complete.

Given that SCDOT's preferred alignment is for an at-grade route and lower speed limits, I cannot see how this would be an extension of Interstate 526. The only way I see the interstate being extended is if they went for Alternatives A, C, D or E.

UptownRoadGeek

I remember seeing plans for this that were completely grade separated a while back.

froggie

Some slightly delayed news from last Thursday, but the Charleston County Council voted unanimously (8-0) against SCDOT's plan for I-526.  A follow-on 5-to-3 vote recommended the "No Build" alternative.  There's some question though as to whether this would ultimately stop SCDOT from building the project.

Jerseyman4

South Carolina seems to have a larger "environmentalist" lobby than people think. That being said, you wonder why US 17 out of Charleston towards I-95 took this long to be 4 laned. From whom i have talked to in Charleston metro, they don't want I-526 but complain about the traffic at the same time!

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on April 19, 2011, 05:45:33 PM
Some slightly delayed news from last Thursday, but the Charleston County Council voted unanimously (8-0) against SCDOT's plan for I-526.  A follow-on 5-to-3 vote recommended the "No Build" alternative.  There's some question though as to whether this would ultimately stop SCDOT from building the project.
Quote from: Jerseyman4 on July 30, 2011, 05:14:15 PM
From whom i have talked to in Charleston metro, they don't want I-526 but complain about the traffic at the same time!

This article reports that the voters may get to decide whether there will be a completion of the Mark Clark Expressway extension/ I-526  across Johns and James Islands:

In a quick and unexpected move, Charleston County Council will decide Tuesday whether to ask voters in the November election whether they support the controversial completion of the Mark Clark Expressway across Johns and James Islands.
The proposal council will consider bringing to voters rules out the state Department of Transportation's preferred alternative for the road, the parkway-style Alternative G. But it does not specify whether the road would be a more traditional, high-speed interstate highway, or take some other form.
Councilman Vic Rawl requested the proposal be placed on the group's agenda. It also includes a provision to rule out the need for consent from the cities and towns through which the road would pass. State law requires consent from municipalities ....

Proposed referendum question Charleston County Council will consider Tuesday:
Should the Mark Clark Expressway extension/I-526 project be completed with the understanding that the recommended preferred alternative (Alternative G) should not be considered and that any municipal consent (pursuant to S.C. Code Ann. 56-5-820) should not be applicable?

Should be an interesting meeting ...

Beltway

The original plan that I saw about 20 years ago for this, was to be a full freeway design.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alex

The NIMBY's have organized a movement against any Interstate 526 extension:

https://www.facebook.com/nix526

QuoteNix526.org is a grassroots group of ordinary citizens working to protect James and Johns Islands from the useless expansion of I-526. 36 seconds is not worth $556 million in taxpayer money, nor is it worth harming the homes of 780 families.

NYYPhil777

Quote from: Alex on August 11, 2012, 04:51:32 PM

QuoteNix526.org is a grassroots group of ordinary citizens working to protect James and Johns Islands from the useless expansion of I-526. 36 seconds is not worth $556 million in taxpayer money, nor is it worth harming the homes of 780 families.

And yet the NIMBY's at the same time complain about the traffic! And it takes much more time than 36 seconds to build a freeway.
Makes me wonder why people are so ignorant about wanting to be responsible citizens...  :banghead:
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

broadhurst04

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 11, 2012, 04:58:01 PM

And it takes much more time than 36 seconds to build a freeway.

I haven't seen the page....but surely 36 seconds refers to the estimated savings in travel time versus existing roads. If people really think a freeway can be built in 36 seconds, God help us !

NYYPhil777

Quote from: broadhurst04 on August 11, 2012, 08:49:14 PM

And it takes much more time than 36 seconds to build a freeway.

I haven't seen the page....but surely 36 seconds refers to the estimated savings in travel time versus existing roads. If people really think a freeway can be built in 36 seconds, God help us !

Now I see... 36 seconds isn't a lot of travel time being shaved off (should the I-526 extension been built)!
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Beltway

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 12, 2012, 12:20:07 AM

Now I see... 36 seconds isn't a lot of travel time being shaved off (should the I-526 extension been built)!

There are several river crossings and accesses that will provide a number of trips that will save 10 minutes or more over existing roads.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex on August 11, 2012, 04:51:32 PM

And yet the NIMBY's at the same time complain about the traffic! And it takes much more time than 36 seconds to build a freeway.
Makes me wonder why people are so ignorant about wanting to be responsible citizens...  :banghead:

I know this area reasonably well, and I think an extension of I-526 would save a little more than the  36 seconds claimed by the NIMBYs.  They probably took one line in an environmental impact statement out of context. 

Additional consideration - the Low Country of South  Carolina is vulnerable to a hurricane strike (the last bad one was Hugo in the late 1980's), and having a decent highway network in that part of the Palmetto State is important for evacuation reasons. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 11, 2012, 03:55:23 PM
This article reports that the voters may get to decide whether there will be a completion of the Mark Clark Expressway extension/ I-526  across Johns and James Islands

This article reports that the Charleston County Council voted 6-2 Tuesday with one abstention against placing the I-526 extension on the ballot Nov. 6:

....Voters won't be weighing in on the extension of the interstate across Johns and James islands after Charleston County Council voted 6-2 Tuesday with one abstention against placing it on the ballot Nov. 6 ....
Council member ... Vic Rawl ...  said the purpose of placing it on the ballot was to gauge whether there was widespread public support for the road project and, if such support existed, send a strong, clear message to the state Department of Transportation.
That's important because Charleston County in January voted to turn over the long-stalled project to the DOT, but the department hasn't yet agreed to take it. If it doesn't, the county could be on the hook for $11.6 million already spent on the project. The DOT needs to be reassured the public supports the road, Rawl said ....

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Grzrd on August 15, 2012, 09:46:02 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 11, 2012, 03:55:23 PM
This article reports that the voters may get to decide whether there will be a completion of the Mark Clark Expressway extension/ I-526  across Johns and James Islands

This article reports that the Charleston County Council voted 6-2 Tuesday with one abstention against placing the I-526 extension on the ballot Nov. 6:

I wish like Hades that highway projects would be on the ballot more often. 

Anti-highway/anti-mobility groups know that such votes are frequently going to go against them, and their anti-highway efforts are usually much more successful behind the scenes and at public meetings and hearings (where they can engineer a (relatively-speaking) large anti-highway turnout) on proposed improvements or additions to the highway network.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Grzrd

The controversy continues, and this article indicates that a December 13 vote by the Charleston County Council may be pivotal:

Charleston County Council stands poised to decide whether to turn over the controversial completion of I-526 to the city – which surely would build it – but other options might enter the picture before an expected Dec. 13 vote.

Grzrd

This article reports that the Charleston County Council voted, 5-4, to build a parkway version of the I-526 extension:

Council members voted 5-4 in favor of completing the road across Johns and James islands, a project that has been on the books since the 1970s. Councilman Elliott Summey presented a resolution to move forward with the parkway plan for the project, also known as Alternative G. That plan included an overpass at Folly Road on James Island, an overpass at East Shore Lane in West Ashley and a consistent speed limit of 45 mph. Councilwoman Anna Johnson submitted amendments to the plan, and council approved those. They included safety improvements in some James Island neighborhoods; mitigating noise, light and emissions; improvements to some intersections on James Island; and compensation for a drop in property value for some residents who live within 1,000 feet of the road.
Even though the $558 million project was approved, it will be years before construction begins. It faces a lengthy federal approval process, and likely challenges to environmental permits.

From the article:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Grzrd on December 14, 2012, 11:04:08 AM
This article reports that the Charleston County Council voted, 5-4, to build a parkway version of the I-526 extension;

Good move.  Though this will not be cheap.

Alps

Will there be at-grades? The article only mentions a couple of overpasses, and the map doesn't really tell you what's going on. "Parkway style" could be anything from two-lane undivided with no grade separation (US 202, PA) to multi-lane divided with full access control (Cross Island, Cross County, etc., NY). I presume, with the 45 mph speed limit and desire to reduce the impact of people complaining about freeways (damned people), it'll be signed as SC 30.

Grzrd

Quote from: Steve on December 14, 2012, 06:15:36 PM
Will there be at-grades?

The SCDOT I-526 Updates page describes Alternative G as follows:

The study team merged the alignment of Alternative D (formerly Alternative 11) and the parkway design of Alternative F (formerly Alternative 36) into a hybrid alternative, Alternative G.

Alternative F is described as follows:

Alternative F extends from U.S. 17 across the Stono River to Johns Island but it is proposed as a four-lane parkway with low speeds ... Access to the parkway would be provided at intersections with Maybank Highway, Folly Road, and other future connections.

So, I am assuming that there are at-grades in the modified Alternative G approved by the County Council.

mgk920

I just hope that it will be designed in such a way as to allow for easy and economical upgrades if and when they ever become necessary.  At least the corridor is being developed.

Mike

CarolinaPaladin

Atlernative G is discouraging to complete Interstate 526 as an interstate highway.  First, bicycles and pedestrian traffic is not allowed on interstate highways.  Second, interstate highways do not have at-grade intersections unless they are at their termini.  Third, most interstate highways exceed 45 miles per hour.  If the remaining section is to be completed properly later, it will cost mose at that time than now.

Though Charleston County council voted in favor of a parkway option, hurdles will remain.

NE2

Quote from: CarolinaPaladin on December 19, 2012, 02:52:10 PM
First, bicycles and pedestrian traffic is not allowed on interstate highways.
False.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 19, 2012, 09:28:14 PM
First, bicycles and pedestrian traffic is not allowed on interstate highways.
False.
Well, in this case, it's unlikely that you'd have an Interstate built without removing that traffic from the corridor or at least shoving it farther out of the ROW. Though it's certainly possible.

cpzilliacus

Atlernative G is discouraging to complete Interstate 526 as an interstate highway.  First, bicycles and pedestrian traffic is not allowed on interstate highways.

Some states do allow some bike traffic on Interstate shoulders. 

And bike/ped trails have been built as part of Interstate projects.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.