This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the city limits of Anchorage Alaska (1963 sq mi) are larger than the entire state of Rhode Island (1212 sq mi) and approximately the size of the entire state of Delaware (1981 sq mi).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kalvado

Quote from: ipeters61 on February 10, 2019, 12:12:42 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the city limits of Anchorage Alaska (1963 sq mi) are larger than the entire state of Rhode Island (1212 sq mi) and approximately the size of the entire state of Delaware (1981 sq mi).
And I wonder how they plow that entire area after the snowfall...

oscar

Quote from: kalvado on February 10, 2019, 03:17:50 PM

The City of Anchorage used to be much smaller. It consolidated with the former Greater Anchorage Area Borough, which swept into the new Anchorage Municipality several outlying communities that are not separately incorporated, and a lot of uninhabited mountains. The city limits thus encompass a lot of empty territory that has to go somewhere, and doesn't really belong in a neighboring borough like Kenai Peninsula or Matanuska-Susitna.

Alaska has other consolidated city-boroughs that are far larger in land area than Anchorage Municipality. The largest one is Yakutat city-borough, with more than ten times as many square miles within its boundaries (7,650) as residents (662). The Juneau, Sitka, Haines, and Wrangell city-boroughs also are larger than Anchorage.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MantyMadTown

Quote from: oscar on February 10, 2019, 03:53:28 PM

The City of Anchorage used to be much smaller. It consolidated with the former Greater Anchorage Area Borough, which swept into the new Anchorage Municipality several outlying communities that are not separately incorporated, and a lot of uninhabited mountains. The city limits thus encompass a lot of empty territory that has to go somewhere, and doesn't really belong in a neighboring borough like Kenai Peninsula or Matanuska-Susitna.

Alaska has other consolidated city-boroughs that are far larger in land area than Anchorage Municipality. The largest one is Yakutat city-borough, with more than ten times as many square miles within its boundaries (7,650) as residents (662). The Juneau, Sitka, Haines, and Wrangell city-boroughs also are larger than Anchorage.

If I remember correctly, those consolidated city-boroughs are larger in land area than any other city in the United States. Jacksonville is the largest city by land area in the United States after the consolidated city-boroughs in Alaska, with a land area of 747 sq mi.

Also Dane County is larger than Rhode Island. Talk about how small Rhode Island is.
Forget the I-41 haters

Roadgeekteen

It takes less time to drive from Pensacola to Columbus, Ohio than Key West.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 10, 2019, 06:07:15 PM
It takes less time to drive from Pensacola to Columbus, Ohio than Key West.

That reminds me of how on I-10 in Texas it's faster to drive to either side of the country than to the other side of Texas. If you're in El Paso, it takes less time to drive to San Diego than it does to drive to the other side of Texas in Orange. Likewise, if you're in Orange, TX, it takes less time to drive to Jacksonville, FL than it does to El Paso.

Also at the far northern end of California, it is faster to drive the Canadian border than to San Diego.
Forget the I-41 haters

qguy

Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 10, 2019, 05:58:05 PM

If I remember correctly, those consolidated city-boroughs are larger in land area than any other city in the United States. Jacksonville is the largest city by land area in the United States after the consolidated city-boroughs in Alaska, with a land area of 747 sq mi.

Also Dane County is larger than Rhode Island. Talk about how small Rhode Island is.

This is how Phoenix, Arizona, has been growing in population, passing the size of other cities. It's not because it's population is growing, it's because it keeps annexing more suburbs.

ipeters61

Quote from: qguy on February 11, 2019, 06:17:31 AM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on February 10, 2019, 05:58:05 PM

This is how Phoenix, Arizona, has been growing in population, passing the size of other cities. It's not because it's population is growing, it's because it keeps annexing more suburbs.
I've heard this is what happened with Middletown DE and Smyrna DE, although there's also been a lot of construction in those towns.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Bruce

Jefferson County, WA is split in half by the Olympic Mountains, which means traveling from its coastal towns to the county seat in Port Townsend requires going around via Clallam County.

bing101

thspfc

I read somewhere that Evansville, IN is closer to Pensacola than is Key West. I looked it up, and it's true - by driving, Evansville is 600 miles and Key West is 830.  :wow:
Florida is closer to the Midwest than it is to Florida  :colorful:

kevinb1994

Quote from: thspfc on April 28, 2019, 05:55:24 PM
I read somewhere that Evansville, IN is closer to Pensacola than is Key West. I looked it up, and it's true - by driving, Evansville is 600 miles and Key West is 830.  :wow:
Florida is closer to the Midwest than it is to Florida  :colorful:

This is one reason why the Dixie Highway was routed to and from the Midwest, where there are historic connections with the Lincoln Highway and other historic roads and trails, etc.

hbelkins

My brother and I were talking about places he could drive to in order to catch a cruise, in the instance driving might be cheaper than flying. Baltimore was first choice. Among the other cities he listed were Norfolk and Charleston, SC. I was a bit surprised to find that Charleston is closer than Norfolk. It doesn't seem logical considering that Kentucky and Virginia are neighbors, while there are at least two states (VA/NC, TN/NC, or TN/GA) between Kentucky and South Carolina.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2019, 05:02:18 PM
Among the other cities he listed were Norfolk and Charleston, SC. I was a bit surprised to find that Charleston is closer than Norfolk.

From where? I know you live near Stanton.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2019, 10:35:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2019, 05:02:18 PM
Among the other cities he listed were Norfolk and Charleston, SC. I was a bit surprised to find that Charleston is closer than Norfolk.

From where? I know you live near Stanton.

He's right in the middle of the Golden Triangle. Owen County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Chris

It's almost exactly the same distance in a straight line from Montréal to the Gulf of Mexico as it is to the north cape of Québec.

In fact, from the southern Québec border it's approximately the same distance to the northernmost point of the province as it is to the Bahamas.

Québec is pretty huge. It's also the same distance south to north as San Diego is to Vancouver.

TheHighwayMan3561

When messing around with Maps I was surprised when I learned it's still over 1,000 miles from Houlton, ME to the eastern tip of Newfoundland.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: Chris on May 11, 2019, 10:19:28 AM
Québec is pretty huge. It's also the same distance south to north as San Diego is to Vancouver.
Which Vancouver?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2019, 09:24:59 PM
Which Vancouver?

I assume Canada.

Verlanka

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 11, 2019, 09:26:25 PM
Which Vancouver?

I assume Canada.

Or perhaps Vancouver, Washington.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 12, 2019, 10:09:01 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on May 12, 2019, 09:08:37 AM
Which Vancouver?

I assume Canada.

Doubtful.
A good tool for verifying such claims:
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=1200mi%40yul
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=san-yvr&R=1200mi%40san
It seems borderline.
another fun fact to notice, though, is that San Diego to Vancouver BC is shorter than San Diego to Houston TX.

sparker

In fact, from the southern Québec border it's approximately the same distance to the northernmost point of the province as it is to the Bahamas.

Montreal resident: "Honey, would you rather go to Nassau over Christmas or up to Ivujivic to see the Northern Lights?"

Mrs. Montreal resident: "You've gotta be f***ing kidding me!  What do you think?"

Montreal resident: "......uhhh......Nassau it is!?"

TheHighwayMan3561

Which Vancouver?

I assume Canada.

Doubtful.

Honestly I don't know why this trips people up so much. Vancouver, WA is just a suburb of Portland. If OP meant that one, he would have said Portland.

kalvado

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 12, 2019, 05:19:43 PM
Which Vancouver?

I assume Canada.

Doubtful.

Honestly I don't know why this trips people up so much. Vancouver, WA is just a suburb of Portland. If OP meant that one, he would have said Portland.
There is also some room for playing with toponyms.
For example, do you know that Amsterdam* is closer to NYC than London**?

*Amsterdam NY
** London ON

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.