News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rejected License Plates

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 29, 2019, 10:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Came across this in my Facebook newsfeed today regarding rejected California license plates:

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/rejected-vanity-plates/

ONW2BYB was my personal favorite given the brazen application explanation.  Any other examples of rejected license plates?

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on March 29, 2019, 10:42:24 AM
Must log in to continue.

Swapped out to the site URL instead of the Facebook one. 

abefroman329

GOVTSUX, allegedly, possibly in Illinois.

Takumi

For "DICKOUT"
"Applicant Explanation: Celebration of my son moving out of the house"
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Maybe 20 to 25 years ago the Washington Post had an article about a woman in Maryland whose plate had been issued but was then revoked. The combination? CUNTESS. She claimed it meant "Countess," like the title of nobility (a count's wife), and that she simply had to omit one letter due to the space limitation. I don't think anyone believed that and I was very surprised they ever issued it in the first place.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

I remember seeing a plate locally that said "UDAM RYT"  around 2000. My dad knew the owner, who apparently knew someone that worked for DMV.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mr. Matté

NE2

Since when is monkey a euphemism for vagina? Excuse me while I go spank my monkey.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 89

Fox 13 published a whole list of rejected Utah vanity plates going back 5 years.

From sex to hate speech, here's the list of rejected vanity plates in Utah

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

Rejected plates in Wisconsin.  Unfortunately they make you click for each one.
https://www.tmj4.com/homepage-gallery/75-rejected-rejected-wisconsin-personalized-license-plates#id68
And FIB is in there.

oscar

In one locally-famous case, somebody got Virginia DMV to issue a specialty plate, with EATTHE custom text preceding "Kids First" on the bottom line. Alas, later the DMV humorlessly revoked the tag.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Throckmorton

One that didn't get rejected in Missouri was, "12 HUNG."   

I saw this years ago on a late model Corvette. Maybe today it wouldn't be issued.   

I read somewhere that, "3M TA3." is banned in most states.   

Proceed with caution

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on March 29, 2019, 02:59:44 PM
In one locally-famous case, somebody got Virginia DMV to issue a specialty plate, with EATTHE custom text preceding "Kids First" on the bottom line. Alas, later the DMV humorlessly revoked the tag.

Yet the guy in Alexandria who has the "Kids First"  plate with the message "PDOFIL"  appears still to have it. I have no idea why anyone would want to put that message on a license plate.

I was behind a car that had "MRCAFYA"  a year or two ago.

Scott5114

I still think the best one that got through was a Florida regular issue plate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Throckmorton on March 29, 2019, 03:02:39 PM

One that didn't get rejected in Missouri was, "12 HUNG."   

That makes me think of a jury.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjk374

Quote from: Big John on March 29, 2019, 02:44:53 PM
Rejected plates in Wisconsin.  Unfortunately they make you click for each one.
https://www.tmj4.com/homepage-gallery/75-rejected-rejected-wisconsin-personalized-license-plates#id68
And FIB is in there.

I found a big list of WI plates of rejected & accepted plates:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/it-s-ok-to-be-naked-but-most-body-parts/article_32120660-6d01-564a-8f88-95c2b5a3add3.html

I don't understand what half of the rejected plates mean. Does this mean I am old?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

FIB rejected... I would think that Wisconsin would want something anti-Illinois.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2019, 08:56:56 AM
FIB rejected... I would think that Wisconsin would want something anti-Illinois.

They know what it means.  On the other hand, I saw an Illinois plate that was "NO FIB" .
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Truvelo

Our government also bans certain plates. Here's some examples.
BA57 ARD
J1 HAD
TE57 CLE
Speed limits limit life

1995hoo

I read somewhere, I think the Washington Post, that Virginia's DMV uses the California DMV's list of banned combinations because California allows more characters per plate than Virginia does. It's not perfect, though, because of people who use the plate itself to add to the message. That sometimes slips through, like a guy who used the split-V UVA plate (it has the "V-Virginia"  logo on the left) to use the preprinted "V"  together with "AGINAS"  to spell a euphemism for a part of the female anatomy. Apparently the DMV doesn't factor in the plate itself–similar to the infamous Florida plate where the orange made it look like "ASSORGY."

TheHighwayMan3561

MN had a controversy a few years ago because someone got one through that appeared to be a statement meant to target a particular religious group. His were revoked and triggered a subsequent review of all previously issued vanity plates resulting in 39 more sets being cancelled as a result.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CNGL-Leudimin

Sweden uses a XXX ### plate system, and they have several banned letter combinations. These include several words, including bad words. The one that caught my eyes was ETA, due to the now-defunct Basque terrorist group.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ErmineNotyours

A few years ago, Washington added a fourth digit and has started going through the alphabet again starting with AAA0000, all scrunched together.  I wonder if they issued the ANU5### series, because nobody wants to see a big ANU5 on their rear end bumper.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.