News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 21, 2022, 05:03:58 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 21, 2022, 04:25:19 PM
Completely random, but I think NCDOT should request a new U.S. Route to replace nearly all of NC 24. It would be a good case, route from biggest city to port city, connecting military installations along the way; a lot of the route is already widen to four-lane. It would begin at US 74 going east, with a routing along NC 210 through Fayetteville, and end at US 70 at Morehead City. Leftover segment of NC 24 along WT Harris Blvd would remain, while one segment of NC 27 would remain and a renumbering of the other NC 27.

Just an idea, might have been thought of before.
Don't see how that is possible aside from making it a US x17. And even if they wanted to replace NC 24 with a US route, I don't see that happening.
I thought of that, too, but it's not going to happen; the day for entirely new US routes is probably long gone.

Jacksonville has been complaining that it is the largest city in NC with no interstate connection existing or planned. This excites the Forum members who want to make all of US 17 an interstate, but a better idea might be to upgrade NC 24 to an interstate from Warsaw to Jacksonville. It is already four-laned.

tolbs17

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 21, 2022, 05:59:16 PM
Completely random, but I think NCDOT should request a new U.S. Route to replace nearly all of NC 24. It would be a good case, route from biggest city to port city, connecting military installations along the way; a lot of the route is already widen to four-lane. It would begin at US 74 going east, with a routing along NC 210 through Fayetteville, and end at US 70 at Morehead City. Leftover segment of NC 24 along WT Harris Blvd would remain, while one segment of NC 27 would remain and a renumbering of the other NC 27.

Don't see how that is possible aside from making it a US x17. And even if they wanted to replace NC 24 with a US route, I don't see that happening.
I thought of that, too, but it's not going to happen; the day for entirely new US routes is probably long gone.

Jacksonville has been complaining that it is the largest city in NC with no interstate connection existing or planned. This excites the Forum members who want to make all of US 17 an interstate, but a better idea might be to upgrade NC 24 to an interstate from Warsaw to Jacksonville. It is already four-laned.
A Beulaville bypass was considered but now it's dropped.

sprjus4

The easiest connection for Jacksonville to reach the interstate system would be US-17 to US-70 / I-42. Half the route is already built to interstate standards, with only around 14 miles of partial control of access 4 lane divided needing full upgrade.

NC-24 would also be a good connection to reach I-40 and points northwest in the state such as Raleigh, Greensboro, etc. Arguably, NC-24 should be a full freeway between Jacksonville and Morehead City due to traffic volumes, however there's obviously right of way constraints to that.

Dirt Roads

As important as Camp LeJeune is to the entire military network, I've always been surprised that the Navy/Marines didn't request an Interstate route to Jacksonville as part of the original system.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 21, 2022, 11:07:27 PM

As important as Camp LeJeune is to the entire military network, I've always been surprised that the Navy/Marines didn't request an Interstate route to Jacksonville as part of the original system.
Parris Island SC also lacks an interstate connection.

Mileage Mike

Honestly NC 24 is four lane and pretty much does the job. Traffic isn't that heavy on that corridor.

Jaxrunner

US 17 needs to be four laned completely between Jacksonville  NC and Hampton Roads VA. I know most of the route is. There is military traffic between the Camp  Leguene and the Naval Bases up in Hampton Roads.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 22, 2022, 06:22:49 PM

There are some other large military installations that are not along the Interstate system, but Parris Island is only about 31 miles off of I-95.  The main entrance of Camp LeJeune is just a tad more than 50 miles from I-40 via NC-24 (and the western section named Camp Geiger is some 13 miles closer).  But that section of I-40 wasn't on the original Interstate system.  Once approved, Camp Lejeune will be about 43 miles from future I-42 at the US-17 interchange west of New Bern. 

tolbs17

If an all-way stop is going to go there, then why not consider a roundabout afterwards since there is no plans to make a little three-lane bypass of it... A bypass of Grimesland would be ideal and I think it would be needed to avoid that blatant speed trap.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-23-pitt-county-all-way-stop.aspx

https://goo.gl/maps/Zr3t3g6GdPakrB9Y6

tolbs17

nerdom

I wouldn't call Parris Island large, even in by Marine Corps standards. Along with nearby MCAS Beaufort and the Naval Hospital it pales in size, amount of servicemen, and importance to Lejuene. MCAS Cherry Point is also nearby but will have I-42 at its doorstep, eventually.

jdunlop

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 23, 2022, 12:00:43 PM
If an all-way stop is going to go there, then why not consider a roundabout afterwards since there is no plans to make a little three-lane bypass of it... A bypass of Grimesland would be ideal and I think it would be needed to avoid that blatant speed trap.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-23-pitt-county-all-way-stop.aspx

https://goo.gl/maps/Zr3t3g6GdPakrB9Y6

An all-way stop is often an interim measure until a roundabout can be funded/built.  But if the volume is low, the all-way stop is a very safe counter-measure for a crash location such as this.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: nerdom on February 23, 2022, 05:48:56 PM
I wouldn't call Parris Island large, even in by Marine Corps standards. Along with nearby MCAS Beaufort and the Naval Hospital it pales in size, amount of servicemen, and importance to Lejuene. MCAS Cherry Point is also nearby but will have I-42 at its doorstep, eventually.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 22, 2022, 06:22:49 PM

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 23, 2022, 11:50:02 AM
There are some other large military installations that are not along the Interstate system, but Parris Island is only about 31 miles off of I-95.  The main entrance of Camp LeJeune is just a tad more than 50 miles from I-40 via NC-24 (and the western section named Camp Geiger is some 13 miles closer).  But that section of I-40 wasn't on the original Interstate system.  Once approved, Camp Lejeune will be about 43 miles from future I-42 at the US-17 interchange west of New Bern.

Quote from: nerdom on February 23, 2022, 05:48:56 PM

The primary purpose of the Interstate system was to permit the Department of Defense (DoD) to relocate military equipment from one base to another quickly (or from the supplier contractor).  My father was in the Army Reserves in a joint Army/Marines unit and they would take a large convoy to the training base every Summer.  They alternated a variety of Army bases one year with the only suitable Marine Corps base (ergo Camp LeJeune) on the opposite years.  You see this type of convoy on the Interstate system all the time.  That particular movement wasn't an Interstate-worthy maneuver, but certainly gives you some idea of how it works.  Agreed, none of that is needed at Parris Island.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 23, 2022, 12:16:38 PM
Update for latest projects. I hate delays...

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/FEBRUARY%202022%20CHANGES%20SUMMARY.pdf
They just don't like spending money in Burke, I hear that there is a structural issue with bridge 99, but it is plenty wide and handles traffic well.

wdcrft63

NCDOT: "The contractor working on a $12.3 million project to replace a bridge over Interstate 40 in McDowell County has been found in default of its contract." This is the project to replace the bridge on Sugar Hill Road at Exit 81. The project began in 2019 and was to be completed by next month, but obviously that's not happening.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-24-national-bridge-defaults-i-40-mcdowell.aspx

ARMOURERERIC

Stumbled across a local article reporting that the 221 freeway bypass contract in Rutherfordton will commence tomorrow.

tolbs17

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 27, 2022, 04:42:24 PM
Stumbled across a local article reporting that the 221 freeway bypass contract in Rutherfordton will commence tomorrow.
And it did. Construction started.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-28-rutherford-bypass-starts-construction.aspx

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 28, 2022, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 27, 2022, 04:42:24 PM
And it did. Construction started.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-02-28-rutherford-bypass-starts-construction.aspx

I wish I had been aware of the project during the meeting phase....they really needed some kind of direct connection to 74 alt.

wdcrft63

NCDOT has awarded a contract for improvements to the South Main Street interchange on US 29/70 (I-85 Business) in High Point. The bridge carrying US 29/70 over South Main Street will be replaced; the existing bridge is narrow with zero shoulders. South Main will be widened to provide turn lanes but it doesn't sound like anything much will be done to improve the inadequate ramps.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-03-01-us-29-70-85-business-interchange.aspx

BTW, weren't we going to remove Business I-85 signage? Google Maps shows it in place as of November 2021. Also, I recall US 70 is to be relocated from this section of US 29.

Mapmikey

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2022, 06:28:28 PM
NCDOT has awarded a contract for improvements to the South Main Street interchange on US 29/70 (I-85 Business) in High Point. The bridge carrying US 29/70 over South Main Street will be replaced; the existing bridge is narrow with zero shoulders. South Main will be widened to provide turn lanes but it doesn't sound like anything much will be done to improve the inadequate ramps.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-03-01-us-29-70-85-business-interchange.aspx

BTW, weren't we going to remove Business I-85 signage? Google Maps shows it in place as of November 2021. Also, I recall US 70 is to be relocated from this section of US 29.

Signage plans for this project have US 29 signs only.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2022, 06:28:28 PM

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 01, 2022, 06:32:11 PM
Signage plans for this project have US 29 signs only.

It seems like NCDOT is dragging its heels on removing signage on the north end of Green I-85.  They never posted Green I-85 on the reconstructed lanes on the south end, and now that section is I-285 anyhow.  I keep reading about the US-70 relocation (which was approved in 2019) and the removal of Green I-85 from Death Valley (approved in 2018), so those signage projects may indeed all be done in a full swoop.  Gee, it didn't take much time to get the Green I-40 signs slapped up and taken down in Greensboro when that mess happened.

tolbs17

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2022, 08:21:17 PM
But these signing plans show that US-70 will NOT be relocated.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/2021%20Highway%20Letting/11-16-21/Plans%20and%20Proposals/GUILFORD_54034.3.2_U-5754_C204665/Standard%20PDF%20Files/

The signing plans for Main St interchange are 3 months newer than these so it is possible the decision to dump signage is recent.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 01, 2022, 09:05:57 PM

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/2021%20Highway%20Letting/11-16-21/Plans%20and%20Proposals/GUILFORD_54034.3.2_U-5754_C204665/Standard%20PDF%20Files/

The signing plans for Main St interchange are 3 months newer than these so it is possible the decision to dump signage is recent.
Very disappointing if the idea of relocating US 70 has been scrapped.  Who knows someone at NCDOT we can ask about this?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 01, 2022, 09:05:57 PM

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 02, 2022, 06:29:39 PM
Very disappointing if the idea of relocating US 70 has been scrapped.  Who knows someone at NCDOT we can ask about this?

Might be a good topic for a new General Highway Talk thread, but does anybody here know if there is any precedence for a DOT backing out of a change already approved by AASHTO?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.