News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2022 Road Trip Plans

Started by D-Dey65, December 12, 2021, 03:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Since nobody has started this thread yet, I thought I'd add one for generic 2022 road trips.

So, what is everybody's plans?

As expected, mine will be a standard NYC-Long Island Trip.

Max Rockatansky

I'm finalizing some plans for Knott's Berry Farms New Years Day and Saguaro National Park in January.  Michigan is on the board for summer and eastern Nevada.  I'm not sure what the rest of the year will entail, Alaska might be part of it.

Rothman

Headed to MA for Christmas.

Flying out to Utah and then driving back to Ohio to help my brother-in-law and sister-in-law move.  Flying from OH back to NY -- mid-January.

Have a trip planned to IA and NE to see the sandhill crane migration at the end of March/April

Hopefully headed to London, UK and Paris, France at the end of the summer.

Have another couple of trips bouncing around in my head, including one to finish clinching counties in KY and another quick jaunt to MD to see some sights I've missed along the way.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2021, 03:45:22 PM
I'm not sure what the rest of the year will entail, Alaska might be part of it.

Alaska might be in my 2022 plans too, especially if the Northwest Territories reopens to non-resident tourist travel (currently mostly closed, for Covid reasons). Aside from southeastern Alaska in 2016 and 2017 (not due for a revisit), I haven't been to Alaska for almost a decade.

Otherwise, besides travel within the D.C. metro area, nothing for me until my usual February trip to Florida, and probably the Natchez MS meet in March. More trips are likely (as Rothman puts it, "bouncing around in my head"), but TBD.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

My only solid plans at the moment are to attend the Natchez MS meet in March, and then the customary Thanksgiving trip to Kansas City. Other tentative plans include tagging along with a friend to one of her regular trips to Ulysses KS (she'd be there to see one of her friends, but I'd be there to clinch counties) and perhaps a business trip to one of the coasts to collect as much seaweed as possible (it makes excellent fertilizer).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

I'm thinking of doing a cross-country drive in the early summer, starting from my corner and making my way over the East Coast via the Southwest, then looping back via the northern tier. I've done some long trips around the Northwest (but always within a day or two of home), so hopefully I'm prepared enough to try this.

So far, my draft route looks something like this: Seattle > Astoria > Crescent City > Sacramento > San Francisco > Sequoia NP > Los Angeles > San Diego > Las Vegas > Grand Canyon > Phoenix > Tucson > El Paso > Albuquerque > Denver > Cheyenne > Rapid City > Sioux Falls > Omaha > Lincoln > Kansas City > Oklahoma City > Dallas > Houston > New Orleans > Memphis > Nashville > Louisville > Cincinnati > Indianapolis > Chicago > Cleveland > Pittsburgh > Philadelphia > Atlantic City

KCRoadFan

Thinking about going up to Wisconsin to visit my brother in Madison in the summer - while I'm there, I plan on going to one of the waterparks at the Dells, as well as to Milwaukee for a Brewers game. This would be in late July, around my birthday.

Also that summer, I might visit some friends in Colorado.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Baton Rouge in February (if not sooner)
Ottawa, Ontario in May
Seattle/Portland in July (I'm not driving from C-bus to the Pacific Northwest [and back] however)
Helena/Clarksdale in October, or Oklahoma City if that roadmeet comes together then.
All assuming I don't change jobs in the next year.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NWI_Irish96

No family trips planned yet for 2022. I have one 3-day clinching trip mapped out in Illinois to get the remainder of interstate mileage and visit the remaining counties that I'm missing. Don't have it specifically scheduled yet but hoping to get it in before the end of March.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

My first child is being born on Thursday, so alas, no permanent plans can be made for a while.  I'm guessing his first trip will probably be a simple one to Kansas City to visit his grandparents.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 13, 2021, 08:32:25 AM
My first child is being born on Thursday, so alas, no permanent plans can be made for a while.  I'm guessing his first trip will probably be a simple one to Kansas City to visit his grandparents.
Congrats, Jayhawkco.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 13, 2021, 09:30:34 AM
Congrats, Jayhawkco.

Thanks!

kevinb1994

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 13, 2021, 09:32:53 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 13, 2021, 09:30:34 AM
Congrats, Jayhawkco.

Thanks!
No problem. I became an uncle recently so I'll see when I can see the new addition to the family.

hbelkins

It's likely I won't get to go check out the new US 35 in West Virginia until the page turns on the calendar.

Still up in the air about going with my brother to Arizona, and what to do during that time he'll be down in the Grand Canyon and I'll have a week to kill.

Other than that, my vehicle situation and finances preclude any county visiting or road clinching trips. And since I've pretty much retired from attending meets, won't be heading to any of those.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: Bruce on December 13, 2021, 01:17:00 AM
I'm thinking of doing a cross-country drive in the early summer, starting from my corner and making my way over the East Coast via the Southwest, then looping back via the northern tier. I've done some long trips around the Northwest (but always within a day or two of home), so hopefully I'm prepared enough to try this.

So far, my draft route looks something like this: Seattle > Astoria > Crescent City > Sacramento > San Francisco > Sequoia NP > Los Angeles > San Diego > Las Vegas > Grand Canyon > Phoenix > Tucson > El Paso > Albuquerque > Denver > Cheyenne > Rapid City > Sioux Falls > Omaha > Lincoln > Kansas City > Oklahoma City > Dallas > Houston > New Orleans > Memphis > Nashville > Louisville > Cincinnati > Indianapolis > Chicago > Cleveland > Pittsburgh > Philadelphia > Atlantic City
Glad I'm not the only one with some anxiety over the idea of a cross-country trip.  I'd like to do one at some point (should the stars ever align for it... between work, family, and roadmeets, finding a large enough gap in my schedule that isn't in the middle of winter is hard), but the longest I've ever done was seven days (Florida and back) broken up by my cousin's wedding in the middle.  Between driving that many days in a row, the mileage on the car, and chaining that many hotel stays, cross-country trips are certainly a class in and of themselves.  Perhaps a specific thread on general tips for them could be useful.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on December 13, 2021, 12:53:26 PM

Glad I'm not the only one with some anxiety over the idea of a cross-country trip.  I'd like to do one at some point (should the stars ever align for it... between work, family, and roadmeets, finding a large enough gap in my schedule that isn't in the middle of winter is hard), but the longest I've ever done was seven days (Florida and back) broken up by my cousin's wedding in the middle.  Between driving that many days in a row, the mileage on the car, and chaining that many hotel stays, cross-country trips are certainly a class in and of themselves.  Perhaps a specific thread on general tips for them could be useful.

Having done all sorts of different kinds of road trips, I can't think of how cross-country trips are different than thinking about them as elongated multi-day trips (i.e., 3-day trips).  Yes, they are different than daytrips, but I do the same preparations for longer multi-day trips than I do for shorter (e.g., keep the air compressor in the car, have AAA, reserve lodging, keep oil changes in mind, figure out laundry, etc.).

Yeah, you're right.  Maybe a separate thread is necessary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

Yeah, my week-long trips around the Northwest taught me my limits in terms of daily driving and what I should/shouldn't prioritize. Also, definitely should bring along backup glasses!

Scott5114

I had to see this on a map because I'm pretty sure you're insane.

I've found that the best way to plan a roadgeek trip of any length is to try to build a loop, i.e. identify the destination furthest from home, and then try to draw two routes, one there and one back, both of which hit as many of your travel goals as possible while maintaining reasonably straight lines. If possible, I like to have the trip "there" be the more indirect and contain more points of interest, while the trip "back" is a reasonably straight shot. This is operating under the assumption that on the way back I will be less inclined to wander and looking forward to getting back home. (It also means that if something happens where I have to abort the trip midway, or something like a breakdown occurs and puts a damper on the mood for the rest of the trip, I am likely to have gotten more of my goals accomplished.)

Thus I would suggest, that instead of doing them all in this sine-wave order that you have now, you perhaps draw an east-west line and get all cities of interest south of that line on the way there and all north of them on the way back. As it is now, you're going to be spending more time going back and forth north-south than east-west, which I guess works if your life goals include clinching I-25 and US-73, but is probably not what you want to do for your first-ever trip of this length. (A good chunk of the experience of a trip like this for most people is seeing the gradual change in scenery from the familiar to not-so-familiar as you go from the West to the East and back, and that experience would be lost with a routing such as this.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Again, this is a draft where I try to solve the traveling salesman problem. I'll probably split this up into better chunks as I get closer to seriously planning this.

I do want to hit up as much as I can, as I'm probably not going to have time to take a month or so off for travel for at least a few years (if not longer).

TheHighwayMan3561

I've been considering a springtime trip to the Texas Hill Country and then up into New Mexico to chase away the winter blues.

14 years and counting I've said I'll go back to New England, so we'll see where time and money comes out.

Regionally, I should do more trips across the Dakotas, maybe into eastern Montana too.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on December 14, 2021, 06:31:03 AM
Again, this is a draft where I try to solve the traveling salesman problem. I'll probably split this up into better chunks as I get closer to seriously planning this.

I do want to hit up as much as I can, as I'm probably not going to have time to take a month or so off for travel for at least a few years (if not longer).

If you're a computer guy, http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/.

thspfc

I'm going to southwestern Colorado in February. Sadly don't have the time to drive the whole way. Flying from O'Hare, so that will probably be my first look at the fully completed I-39/90 in southern WI. I always look forward to driving I-90 between South Beloit and Chicago. Once in Colorado, I'll drive the Million Dollar Highway for the first time.

I'll be bouncing around WI quite a bit, as usual.

hbelkins

Quote from: thspfc on December 14, 2021, 10:47:32 PM
I'm going to southwestern Colorado in February. Sadly don't have the time to drive the whole way. Flying from O'Hare, so that will probably be my first look at the fully completed I-39/90 in southern WI. I always look forward to driving I-90 between South Beloit and Chicago. Once in Colorado, I'll drive the Million Dollar Highway for the first time.

I'll be bouncing around WI quite a bit, as usual.

Where are you flying to?

The last week of February is when I'd be in the area if I do end up going with my brother to the Grand Canyon while he hikes it, but I don't know that I'd be up to drive US 550 in February. I can't imagine that road being fun to drive at all if it's snowing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

doorknob60

Not a road trip, but I'm flying to LAX in January, and spending a week in the area, mostly visiting theme parks. I doubt we'll venture outside of LA and Orange counties though. Maybe Riverside or San Bernardino but we don't have concrete plans there.

In July, I believe we'll be flying to Norfolk, VA, visiting family there, visiting the Virginia theme parks (BGW and KD), then driving up to Hershey, PA to see a show there and visit Hersheypark. After that, we may visit Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ, and possibly the American Dream mall. Haven't decided yet which airport we'll be flying back from, or which day. JFK has some direct flights to BOI, but depends on the day we want to leave. Otherwise Newark would probably be more convenient (just would not be a direct flight). Holding off on booking the flights for this trip because I believe they'll get cheaper in a couple months, they're a bit higher than normal right now. I'm tracking them on Google Flights.

Nothing else is fully planned yet, though we'll probably do a shorter trip sometime in spring (Mar-May). Visiting family in Oregon is always an option, as is a trip to Salt Lake City. Could pop down to NorCal too maybe (by car or plane).

There's a band my wife wants to see live, and their US tour is in early fall, so we'll probably try to hit them up in Denver (that would be a fun road trip, I've never been to CO before), Tacoma (closest to Boise), Oakland, Vegas, or LA. Tickets are all sold out lol so we'd need to get them second hand.

If Portland Retro Gaming Expo happens next year (cancelled the last 2 for Covid), I definitely want to attend again. That's usually in fall. We usually drive but one time we flew because we had just driven to Portland the weekend prior to the expo for a funeral, and didn't want to make that round trip 2 weeks in a row (that was a good call).

Daniel Fiddler

Belated congratulations, Jayhawk!  :)

I don't have any children, but my younger brother has two sons, an 8 and a 5 year old.  So I am a proud uncle.  They are my mother's only grandchildren since my late sister didn't have any kids either.

I am trying to persuade my mother, my younger brother, his current wife (not my nephews' mother, that's his ex-wife), and my nephews to make a week long trip to Orlando all at my expense except for a timeshare week my mother has banked.  My nephews have never been to Florida, and I would like for them to go to Walt Disney World, Islands of Adventure, and Sea World.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.