News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Salem Bypass

Started by silverback1065, April 02, 2013, 09:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I just noticed on Google Maps that a bypass of Salem, IN appeared.  Does anyone know what route is signed along it?  I assume its 135, but can't find any info on the matter. 

tdindy88

I'm not incredibly familar with the project myself, but I think it is only meant to connect SR 135 to the south with SR 56 to the east, at least at the moment. I'd imagine that the overall goal is to connect up with SR 135 to the north of town too, but that maybe for later, like with the North Vernon bypass project which is only going to be half finished when the first round of work is done. I don't know anything about numbering and as far as I know it may not even be an INDOT route.

kphoger

Everything I can find from INDOT simply calls it "Salem Bypass", which leads me to believe it carries no route number.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2013, 10:17:23 PM
Everything I can find from INDOT simply calls it "Salem Bypass", which leads me to believe it carries no route number.

After searching some more, it will be SR 135 and SR 60, but I guess not until it's done.  Signing it Truck SR 135 would be a good idea until it's done, but it looks like it will be numberless until it's done.

vtk

I just spotted this on the map. It doesn't look like a particularly useful bypass, only providing an advantage to traffic between 135 south of town and 56 east of town. INDOT has construction photos online but nothing about the justification for its existence nor any hint of future extension. A news article about its opening last year doesn't say anything about future phases either.

Is the 135 to 56 movement particularly heavy, or was this a misappropriation of funds?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

tdindy88

I believe the point is to get traffic away from the public square in the center of town, where the Washington County Courthouse is. They probably didn't want two state highways and the traffic they bring to go around that public square anymore.

edwaleni

Quote from: vtk on December 02, 2022, 09:10:29 PM
I just spotted this on the map. It doesn't look like a particularly useful bypass, only providing an advantage to traffic between 135 south of town and 56 east of town. INDOT has construction photos online but nothing about the justification for its existence nor any hint of future extension. A news article about its opening last year doesn't say anything about future phases either.

Is the 135 to 56 movement particularly heavy, or was this a misappropriation of funds?

The purpose as reported back in 2013.

INDIANAPOLIS — A new stretch of road opened Thursday to support a growing southern Indiana town. The goal of the new bypass is to relieve traffic around the city of Salem. The bypass runs south and east of the Washington County city. Motorists will only be able to enter or exit the bypass at Indiana 60 or at either end of Indiana 135 and Indiana 56. The bypass is only four miles long, but Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman said Thursday that all projects, big and small, are important. "While there's much talk about the Ohio River Bridges or I-69, Major Moves projects of all sizes are benefiting communities around the state,"  Skillman said. "The idea is to drive economic development to our communities and leapfrog our competition in other states for new business."  Shortly after a Thursday morning ceremony, the first section of the road opened just south of Salem between Indiana 135 and Indiana 60. The remainder is anticipated to open within one to two weeks, stretching to Indiana 56 just east of Salem. Washington County provided all of the development and engineering work for the project, including design and land purchases. The Indiana Department of Transportation financed the construction and oversaw the contractor's work. "This project would not have happened without the participation and partnership of local leaders,"  said Kathy Eaton-McKalip, INDOT's director of grants and local programs. "Looking ahead, partnering with communities or the private sector is increasingly the model for getting big projects done."

silverback1065

i wonder if it will make it to 135 on the north side one day

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 02, 2013, 09:12:58 PM
I just noticed on Google Maps that a bypass of Salem, IN appeared.  Does anyone know what route is signed along it?  I assume its 135, but can't find any info on the matter.
Yes, SR 135 is signed along it. Even SR 60 is routed along it to connect on the eastern end at SR 56.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.