News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daytime Maintanence Construction & delays!

Started by Mergingtraffic, July 14, 2009, 08:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I travel from Danbury to Waterbury, CT between 9am & 3pm along I-84 quite often and I always get stopped for some maitanence construction project, such as fixing a guiderail pole, mowing, sign replacement, tree trimming etc.
I've gotten stuck on all the major expressways in the state for this type of stuff.

The DOT usually closed one lane when this happens.  And the lane is only closed for about 500 feet or so.  However, the traffic backups can go for miles at times. 

It seems that thinking is it's okay to close a lane for these small projects, but to me closing a lane, is closing a lane.  If you close a lane to smoke a cigarette, it will create traffic backups.  It doesn't matter what the reason is.

Anybody else have these problems in their state.  I know the work has to get done but I-84 is a major highway here.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Terry Shea

Quote from: doofy103 on July 14, 2009, 08:39:34 PM
I travel from Danbury to Waterbury, CT between 9am & 3pm along I-84 quite often and I always get stopped for some maitanence construction project, such as fixing a guiderail pole, mowing, sign replacement, tree trimming etc.
I've gotten stuck on all the major expressways in the state for this type of stuff.

The DOT usually closed one lane when this happens.  And the lane is only closed for about 500 feet or so.  However, the traffic backups can go for miles at times. 

It seems that thinking is it's okay to close a lane for these small projects, but to me closing a lane, is closing a lane.  If you close a lane to smoke a cigarette, it will create traffic backups.  It doesn't matter what the reason is.

Anybody else have these problems in their state.  I know the work has to get done but I-84 is a major highway here.
Speaking of mowing, they aren't going to mow the medians or sides of the highways in Michigan anymore to save money.  What a pretty sight that's going to be.  :crazy:

Truvelo

Over here pretty much all routine maintenance on freeways is done at night to minimise the impact on traffic. This often means three lanes dropping to one. On certain routes this can still mean lengthy delays on the approach in the early hours of the morning.

As for grass cutting I've seen a growing number of medians now made of concrete which seems a simple way of avoiding the hassle of mowing. However this wouldn't work particularly well in North America where medians can be wider than the entire right of way of some of our freeways. Below is a classic case of why such trivial work shouldn't be done during working hours Monday to Friday.

Speed limits limit life

Michael

Many freeways in the central New York area have work done on them at night, especially on the Thruway.

njroadhorse

Almost all the work done recently on I-80 was at night here in NJ.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Bryant5493

Most roadwork here in Metro Atlanta is done between 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. (Monday-Friday) and all day, most times, on weekends.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Crewdawg

In metro Phoenix they do most of there work on the weekend and just close all of the freeway down and you have to take surface streets.  Real pain  :banghead:

Chris

^^ wel if there are holes in the freeway it's probably the best  ;-)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.