Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

TV shows set in cities that get city features horribly wrong

(1/46) > >>

roadman:
My comment about a Cheers episode in the "You're too old if ..." thread reminded me of a gaffe in that same episode, when the closing scene in It's a Wonderful Life was interrupted by a breaking news alert that "Boston Airport" was closed (it's been called, and known as, Logan Airport for several decades now).

Can anybody recall similar gaffes on popular TV shows or movies?  Note that cases where private brands or properties were deliberately re-branded or mislabeled to avoid possible trademark permission or "free advertising" issues don't count.

Big John:
One episode of Picket Fences had this.  (Though not set in Green Bay, was set in a fictional town close to it.) Had a big issue with Green Bay bussing all their minority African-American students to their town.  If you look at Green Bay demographics, you see that native Americans and Hmong are the largest minority populations and blacks make up a very small minority, not enough students in the whole city to fill the school buses shown on that show.

kkt:

--- Quote from: roadman on October 04, 2013, 09:38:04 AM ---My comment about a Cheers episode in the "You're too old if ..." thread reminded me of a gaffe in that same episode, when the closing scene in It's a Wonderful Life was interrupted by a breaking news alert that "Boston Airport" was closed (it's been called, and known as, Logan Airport for several decades now).

--- End quote ---

That's probably just for familiarity to viewers who aren't from New England and haven't traveled through there.  If Cheers had been set in Atlanta, they would have referred to the Atlanta Airport, not Hartsfield-Jackson.

spooky:
Rizzoli and Isles is set in Boston and consistently refers to an institution of higher learning abbreviated BCU. At first I thought they were going for a combination of BC (Boston College) and BU (Boston University), which would result in a rather anachronistic "Boston College University", but it turns out their fake college is Boston Cambridge University.

--- Quote from: roadman on October 04, 2013, 09:38:04 AM ---Note that cases where private brands or properties were deliberately re-branded or mislabeled to avoid possible trademark permission or "free advertising" issues don't count.

--- End quote ---

Note that Rizzoli and Isles definitely falls under this heading, since they rebrand many things about Boston - the Marathon, the Red Sox, etc. Plus no one ever drinks Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

PHLBOS:
In the series Spin City which is supposed to take place in NYC; one outside shot was of US 30 Westbound (Admiral Wilson Blvd.) in Camden, NJ that showed a BGS for I-676 North (directing motorsits to the Ben Franklin Bridge & Philadelphia).  I nearly died when I saw that scene, since I used that road and passed by that BGS everyday when commuting from work in Pennsauken at the time.

Another Cheers error was in the episode that involved Sam, Norm & Cliff sky-diving; the opening scene has Sam & Rebecca going through some marketing suggestions for the bar. 

One suggestion Sam read off was for the bar to offer a Happy Hour; Rebecca replied back, "Not legal in the State of Massachusetts.".  Massachusetts is a Commonwealth.

Road-geek Cheers error: when Woody & Sam get into his (Sam's) Corvette (w/Woody behind the wheel) to head north, Woody reads off the I-93 signs not only using an older set of exit numbers (I forget whether the numbers he read were the original ones (25=128) or the ones from the early 1970s) but the first one he reads off (supposedly just after getting on I-93 North from the bar in Boston) off (for Concord Road IIRC) is near/at Wilmington. 

Note: the episode in question was made after 1987 (when I-93's exit numbers changed to its present numbers).

--- Quote from: kkt on October 04, 2013, 01:05:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: roadman on October 04, 2013, 09:38:04 AM ---My comment about a Cheers episode in the "You're too old if ..." thread reminded me of a gaffe in that same episode, when the closing scene in It's a Wonderful Life was interrupted by a breaking news alert that "Boston Airport" was closed (it's been called, and known as, Logan Airport for several decades now).

--- End quote ---

That's probably just for familiarity to viewers who aren't from New England and haven't traveled through there.  If Cheers had been set in Atlanta, they would have referred to the Atlanta Airport, not Hartsfield-Jackson.
--- End quote ---
The Jackson part of ATL's official name didn't come about until the 2000s well after Cheers ended.  :)

As far your stated reasons for using a generic airport name rather than the actual name is concerned; while there might be some validity to that reason, it's rather shallow... especially since the show was well into its 6th season when this particular episode aired.  One would think the writers would know the proper names for most Boston area features & landmarks by then and use them for authenticity purposes.

If Cheers was set in NYC, would New York Airport refer to LaGuardia or JFK?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version