News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Rank Images

Started by rickmastfan67, May 05, 2014, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Hello forum members!

The staff team has been working very hard and we are pleased to announce our new rank images are being rolled out to the AARoads forum! These new rank images will replace the default stars that were used on the forums previously. In addition, a new mod has been installed to offer the staff members and other special ranks their own group icons in addition to the post based rank images!  Special thanks go out to Zeffy who created the new images!

If you have any suggestions or commends regarding the new images, feel free to post them here!

sammi

rickmastfan67

-NCX75-

Cool stuff! Of course, I'm still at "dirt road" but these symbols are neat. Time to get going, I need to actually talk about roads, and of course, move up...

Big John

Quote from: -NCX75- on May 05, 2014, 11:13:11 PM
Cool stuff! Of course, I'm still at "dirt road" but these symbols are neat. Time to get going, I need to actually talk about roads, and of course, move up...
There are name changes and lower thresholds for certain classifications such as county highway or state route.

You were "trail" before this.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Big John on May 05, 2014, 11:16:25 PM
Quote from: -NCX75- on May 05, 2014, 11:13:11 PM
There are name changes and lower thresholds for certain classifications such as county highway or state route.

You were "trail" before this.

Dirt Road = Trail

jakeroot

So far, I'm really liking the new ranks. Especially the DOT Employee signpost -- I like the blue alongside the FHWA logo.

:clap:

Zeffy

Glad you guys like them! This is a result of deliberation and planning from April 20th. The images were made by me, but the ideas were contributed from many staff members to result in what you see. So don't just thank me - thank your staff members too! (And esp. rickmastfan for actually incorporating them!!  :sombrero::clap:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Great, now I need to find them all again. :)

These first two don't seem to be right.
was Trail (0+ posts)
was Side Road (25+ posts)

was Arterial (50+ posts)
was Viaduct (75+ posts)
was Trafficway (100+ posts)
was County Route (250+ posts)

was State Highway (500+ posts)
was Expressway (1000+ posts)
was Turnpike (1500+ posts)
was Freeway (3000+ posts)
was Interstate (5000+ posts)

was DOT Employee
was Site Contributor

was Regional Moderator
was Global Moderator
was Admin

DaBigE

As there is a category for DOT Employees, any thoughts on having a category for us traffic engineers in the private sector/consultants?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Molandfreak

was Likes the forum way, way too much (10,000+ posts)
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

-NCX75-

was Trail (0+ posts)

I only have 7 posts (I'm a newbie don't judge) and I'm "trail"... maybe it changes at five posts?

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on May 05, 2014, 11:43:26 PM
As there is a category for DOT Employees, any thoughts on having a category for us traffic engineers in the private sector/consultants?

I would agree, and not just because I'm going to school to be a PE. Seems like if anyone is qualified to speak on roads, it would be the people who freakin' build them.

Zeffy

Quote from: sammi on May 05, 2014, 11:26:19 PM
Great, now I need to find them all again. :)

was Trail (0+ posts)

We made some changes along the way, such as removing Viaduct and Trafficway and substituting others for those. My favorite rank is Parking Lot.  :sombrero:  Parking Lot takes effect for your first few posts, after that you get your very own dirt road.  ;-)

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

corco

Quote from: jake on May 06, 2014, 12:00:50 AM

I would agree, and not just because I'm going to school to be a PE. Seems like if anyone is qualified to speak on roads, it would be the people who freakin' build them.

Personally, I don't support that for exactly that reason. The last thing we need are elitist "I'm an engineer and you're not" types of posts. Let what you have to say speak for itself- if you're an engineer, you'll come out as knowing what you're talking about and you can earn respect that way. DOT Employee is slightly different because you may have information that isn't widely available, and might not be able to point to a website to cite yourself.

sammi

Quote from: Zeffy on May 06, 2014, 12:01:20 AM
Parking Lot takes effect for your first few posts, after that you get your very own dirt road.  ;-)
Something like 5 posts, I'd guess, if NCX75 is already a . :)

Molandfreak

Quote from: corco on May 06, 2014, 12:03:11 AM
Personally, I don't support that for exactly that reason. The last thing we need are elitist "I'm an engineer and you're not" types of posts.
It adds a ton of pressure, too. We already have bugo yelling at AHTD for making mistakes.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Zeffy

Quote from: sammi on May 06, 2014, 12:04:14 AM

I don't know the exact value - I suggested 5, James suggested 2-3. If he wants to reveal it he can.  ;-) 3 posts and you are a Dirt Road.

Personally, I don't support that for exactly that reason. The last thing we need are elitist "I'm an engineer and you're not" types of posts. Let what you have to say speak for itself- if you're an engineer, you'll come out as knowing what you're talking about and you can earn respect that way. DOT Employee is slightly different because you may have information that isn't widely available, and might not be able to point to a website to cite yourself.

I agree with this 100%.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Zeffy on May 06, 2014, 12:10:05 AM
Quote from: sammi on May 06, 2014, 12:04:14 AM

I don't know the exact value - I suggested 5, James suggested 2-3. If he wants to reveal it he can.  ;-)

jakeroot

I'd like to think this website is made up of users who are respectable people, and elitist "I'm an engineer and you're not" posts wouldn't occur.

DaBigE

Personally, I don't support that for exactly that reason. The last thing we need are elitist "I'm an engineer and you're not" types of posts. Let what you have to say speak for itself- if you're an engineer, you'll come out as knowing what you're talking about and you can earn respect that way.

While I see your point, I think the mods would easily handle the "elitist" engineers. Secondly, acting like such goes against our code of ethics.

QuoteDOT Employee is slightly different because you may have information that isn't widely available, and might not be able to point to a website to cite yourself.

Depending on where the person works in the DOT, that is more than likely true, unless they're the head of a division. However, unless you own your own firm, just because you're in the private sector doesn't mean you're any more likely to have the ability to cite yourself.

Regardless, I also like the new themed rank images and reorg of the member levels. :clap:  Thanks to all involved.

If a category is created for consultants/PE's, this is my suggestion for an image (similar to the DOT Employee image): Blue blade with an orange "men working" symbol sign (W21-1) and white text "Hwy Engineer"
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

vtk

So, probably no group for CE students then...

I suppose a group for "started college intending to go into CE but dropped out before entering the major" was never a realistic possibility.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

txstateends

Quote from: -NCX75- on May 05, 2014, 11:59:47 PM
was Trail (0+ posts)

I only have 7 posts (I'm a newbie don't judge)

NCX, please!!  Everyone has to start somewhere....  It's all good, besides, how do you take the journey of 1000 miles?  By starting out with a single step.  And you have!

Speaking of new journeys, I like the new rank-label look.  Oh, and WTG Zeffy, you did it again!
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Zeffy

Quote from: txstateends on May 06, 2014, 05:43:42 AM
NCX, please!!  Everyone has to start somewhere....  It's all good, besides, how do you take the journey of 1000 miles?  By starting out with a single step.  And you have!

Speaking of new journeys, I like the new rank-label look.  Oh, and WTG Zeffy, you did it again!

Agreed! You shouldn't look at your post count as "look how many posts I have!", but rather "I've made x good contributions to this forum.". And I know you can definitely make some quality contributions to the forum.  ;-)

Also, like I said txstateends, without the ideas from Alex and the rest of the AARoads staff, these icons would never exist. I put the effort into making these, but I cannot tell you how many ideas were contributed by the staff and not myself. The only one I remember making myself was the

image!  :)

nexus73

Doing California, Canadian and European style signs (plus the ones here) with the option for the user to pick their style would be sweet in my eyes!  Do something special and get a custom BGS from the site as part of your signature.  Anyways, someone had a good eye for a fancying up of AARoadforums and the new stuff looks great!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.