News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Alps' Roads UPDATE!

Started by Alps, August 29, 2009, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 23, 2010, 09:56:04 AM
When do we get to see your Tulsa Meet stuff? ;)

While you're waiting for Captain Slowpoke to post his pictures, you can view my photos of the Tulsa meet here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watuzi/sets/72157623399720899/

Dougtone

I think Steve will need a harem of hot, busty interns to assist with his page updates before long.  I've joked about that for Gribblenation in the past.

Alps

All hot, busty contributions are greatly appreciated.

Alps

A tremendous amount of time later, many false starts and interesting twists and turns in my life, I finally squeezed out the last of my Virginia roads and I present to you an UPDATE!  There are two new meets posted (DC from November and Detroit from January) and a lot of material from Virginia and Pennsylvania.  The highlights include three new videos, 123 new Virginia US 11 photos, plenty of new construction and post-construction photos from the Springfield Interchange/Wilson Bridge (thanks to the DC meet), and the 2009 New River Gorge Bridge Day on US 19 in West Virginia.  As usual, all of the juicy bits are listed on www.alpsroads.net/roads, and comments/contributions/corrections are always welcome and appreciated.

Ian

Great update! I enjoyed the new DC, PA, and WV photos the most. I take it that the buttoncopy on I-395 in DC aswell as I-70 in WV are still there?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

There's no button copy anymore on I-395 proper...DDOT replaced all the overhead signage along I-395 a couple years ago.  Some of the approach roads, as well as ramps to/along the Southeast Freeway still have button copy, though.

froggie

Yes, including those.  Note the exit numbers, which didn't exist before the sign changeover.

Ian

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I thought the exit tabs were just an addition and DDOT was going to leave those along. Ah well, I was hoping to get some shots of those. So do you know if the I-95/I-295 BGS under L'Enfant Promenade is still there? I know its on Steve's site and included it in the update, but I wanted to be safe since his photos are from November. I also want to get some shots of some of the other district named I-95 and I-395 shields scattered throughout the district as well as some old traffic signals including those old neon NO LEFT TURN signs (there are 2 of them just outside the Holocaust Museum, as well as a district name I-395 green sign right near it).
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2010, 11:11:22 AM
a district name I-395 green sign

did it say "District of Columbia" (most common), "D.C." (somewhat rare) or "Washington, D.C." (one example - somewhat - known)

I saw a non-covered-up "Washington D.C." I-95 shield sometime in 2001.  Have no idea where it was, though.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 11:21:04 AM
did it say "District of Columbia" (most common), "D.C." (somewhat rare) or "Washington, D.C." (one example - somewhat - known)

It said District of Columbia:
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/dc/ind_ave/

Scroll down to the bottom, its the sign next to the non cutout I-66/I-395 trailblazers.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2010, 11:26:14 AM

Scroll down to the bottom, its the sign next to the non cutout I-66/I-395 trailblazers.

bloxor.  Since when is Alps Roads a "streaming media" site, according to my company's firewall.  WTF, it wasn't blocked as recently as a week ago.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 02, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 11:21:04 AM

I believe that District of Columbia is still there as of early July. The non-cutouts are definitely still in place.

This nearby sign was corrected, though its replacement uses non-standard fonts.

froggie

Ian: I don't get into Southwest very often, so I couldn't say.  But I'll keep it in mind for the next time I bike into town.

Ian

Quote from: AARoads on August 02, 2010, 12:24:34 PM
I believe that District of Columbia is still there as of early July.

Lets hope it stays there, along with the old signals at an intersection right next to it. I don't see why it'll be replaced, except for the fact that the photo Steve has shows it peeling.

Quote from: froggie on August 02, 2010, 12:46:25 PM
Ian: I don't get into Southwest very often, so I couldn't say.  But I'll keep it in mind for the next time I bike into town.

Alright, thanks! And thanks also for telling me about the I-395 button copy replacement, since it would have been more of a bummer to discover on my own that they have been replaced.
Youtube l Flickr

NJRoadfan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 11:28:47 AM
bloxor.  Since when is Alps Roads a "streaming media" site, according to my company's firewall.  WTF, it wasn't blocked as recently as a week ago.

Let me guess... WebSense(less)? It blocks aaroads as a travel site too. Heck it was blocking my own domains as "unknown" even though I have nothing more then a parking page up.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 02, 2010, 05:21:51 PM

Let me guess... WebSense(less)? It blocks aaroads as a travel site too. Heck it was blocking my own domains as "unknown" even though I have nothing more then a parking page up.

that's the one, except it blocks Alps as "streaming media".  I've never seen anything blocked as "travel" so I don't think our company uses that as a filter.  AARoads comes through fine, as do other travel sites like Orbitz. 

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 05:31:25 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 02, 2010, 05:21:51 PM

that's the one, except it blocks Alps as "streaming media".  I've never seen anything blocked as "travel" so I don't think our company uses that as a filter.  AARoads comes through fine, as do other travel sites like Orbitz. 
It would block that page as streaming media because I have a Youtube video embedded in it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 02, 2010, 06:41:55 PM

It would block that page as streaming media because I have a Youtube video embedded in it.

damn.  it managed to find the one YouTube video embedded on your site, and hosed the entire set of hundreds of pages?  Websense, what a bunch of morons.

that explains why the site got borked just a few days ago - they just blocked YouTube and other streaming media explicitly.

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Interesting - I went in to the site @ work and it loaded - it's how your company sets up their blocker.  to block the object or the site - in your case it was the latter.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Alps

I've redesigned my site entry portal to be 500% easier to read and find links.  It's not a total site redesign by any means, but this brings it more in line with the design standards I try to hold myself to.  (No need to stifle laughter, let it out.)

Alps

And I've squeezed out another one!  1,600 photos of the Southeast US, featuring extensive new content in Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.  Among the highlights:

New road meet in Tulsa
Truck US 11/78 on 14th St. Birmingham
Old bridges in AL (US 31, Legg Bridge) and OK (OK 18, OK 66, Blackburn) including history on AL US 80 in Selma
3 videos in Alabama

So blast on over to http://www.alpsroads.net/roads and don't forget to crack a roo!

froggie

Regarding your I-22 comment on your root Mississippi page, a bit of history is in order here:  the plan for a US 78 freeway between Memphis and Birmingham goes back over 4 decades...with Mississippi completing their part in 1994.  The idea to designate it as I-22 came much later...only about 10 years ago.  So the claim that "MS and AL have made big mistakes by designating the new highway as US 78" doesn't really apply here.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on September 12, 2010, 04:51:16 PM
Regarding your I-22 comment on your root Mississippi page, a bit of history is in order here:  the plan for a US 78 freeway between Memphis and Birmingham goes back over 4 decades...with Mississippi completing their part in 1994.  The idea to designate it as I-22 came much later...only about 10 years ago.  So the claim that "MS and AL have made big mistakes by designating the new highway as US 78" doesn't really apply here.

Fair cop.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.