News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

It's June 1 (first day of the season in the Atlantic) and no name has been used yet, which didn't happen since 2014. Now, I dispute if there was any pre-season storms in every year in between, as I don't count subtropical cyclones and I thus I don't consider 2019 to have had a storm too early.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

triplemultiplex

They managed to squeeze in a pre-season tropical storm in the eastern Pacific, I see.
Atlantic will have to wait another day or two it looks like.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 89

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 02, 2022, 12:31:11 PM
They managed to squeeze in a pre-season tropical storm in the eastern Pacific, I see.

Not quite. Eastern Pacific season starts May 15.

ET21

The PTC today near the Yucatan is what's left of Agatha from the Pacific basin, one of those storms that'll traverse both basins.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 89

Quote from: ET21 on June 02, 2022, 04:32:28 PM

The PTC today near the Yucatan is what's left of Agatha from the Pacific basin, one of those storms that'll traverse both basins.

Is it technically a basin crosser though? I thought Agatha got torn apart by Mexico mountains and absorbed into this low that's now about to develop.

ET21

Quote from: US 89 on June 02, 2022, 07:21:40 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 02, 2022, 04:32:28 PM

Is it technically a basin crosser though? I thought Agatha got torn apart by Mexico mountains and absorbed into this low that's now about to develop.

The system was torn apart by Mexico, but the broad low pressure center survived and reorganized quickly as it got back into the Gulf/NW Caribbean due to the abnormally high water temps in the region.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

route56

Well, we definitely had a basin crosser with Bonnie. The 1500Z advisory was the point where the NHC moved the storm from the Atlantic to the Pacific basin. They erroneously designated that advisory as Advisory 1. They have since assigned it the correct advisory number (#20)

Meanwhile, an Invest that was considered to be a low probability to develop into a tropical cyclone all of a sudden became Colin over a 'brown ocean.'
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

epzik8

My mom in Myrtle Beach had herself a surprise today with Colin.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

US 89

Quote from: route56 on July 02, 2022, 03:22:44 PM
Meanwhile, an Invest that was considered to be a low probability to develop into a tropical cyclone all of a sudden became Colin over a 'brown ocean.'

Eh, I bet NHC is going to move Colin's formation time back 12-24 hours to when it was offshore of South Carolina in the post-season analysis. It most definitely looked like a tropical cyclone on Friday night.

SectorZ

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml#t

Tropical Cyclone:
    A warm-core non-frontal synoptic-scale cyclone, originating over tropical or subtropical waters, with organized deep convection and a closed surface wind circulation about a well-defined center.

They did a good job of maintaining that standard by claiming a tropical storm formed over land.

I used to respect the hell out of the NHC, but they've been doing stuff like this way too much of late. It's a bit of an embarrassment to meteorology.

CoreySamson

Ever since Colin dissipated back in early July, the Atlantic basin has been eerily quiet for almost two months, which was not expected, especially considering how active this hurricane season was projected to be. What's really strange is that a La Niña year such as this year without an August storm has never been recorded in history. I wonder what's up with that.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alex

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 30, 2022, 10:55:29 PM
Ever since Colin dissipated back in early July, the Atlantic basin has been eerily quiet for almost two months, which was not expected, especially considering how active this hurricane season was projected to be. What's really strange is that a La Niña year such as this year without an August storm has never been recorded in history. I wonder what's up with that.

Persistent Saharan Dust, which infuses dry air in tropical waves or systrns and offsets development.

CNGL-Leudimin

Hurricane Danielle, first hurricane this year in the Atlantic, but not the first hurricane with an Atlantic name this year. Strange, but has happened.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

epzik8

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 02, 2022, 05:33:03 PM
Hurricane Danielle, first hurricane this year in the Atlantic, but not the first hurricane with an Atlantic name this year. Strange, but has happened.
Under the previous naming conventions, Bonnie would have been Bonnie-Darby.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Roadgeekteen

Back in Amherst, and it is around 80 and sunny.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

And what relates that to a tropical storm? The thread for current weather where one is is another.
Quote from: epzik8 on September 02, 2022, 09:38:39 PM

Yep, and Otto in 2016 would have been Otto-Virgil.

Rothman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 03, 2022, 06:00:40 PM
And what relates that to a tropical storm? The thread for current weather where one is is another.
Quote from: epzik8 on September 02, 2022, 09:38:39 PM

Yep, and Otto in 2016 would have been Otto-Virgil.
This is just what Roadgeekteen does.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alex

Tropica Fiona just formed east of the Northern Leeward Islands in the Atlantic and the Aleutian Islands are going to be impacted by the powerful remnants of Typhoon Merbok, which is very far north in the Pacific:

https://twitter.com/NWSAnchorage/status/1570239728464830465?t=RGTXs5q8rxzel-FHqLhZ5g&s=19

CNGL-Leudimin

I've been visited by ex-hurricane Danielle in the last few days. A very welcomed rain, but we need more!

triplemultiplex

Fiona really turned on the waterworks in the Greater Antilles.  With Maria, it was the wind, but for Fiona, it's the rain causing such problems for Puerto Rico.  Damn these slow moving tropical systems!

Now Fiona is expected to strengthen to a Cat 4 as it slowly makes it's way toward Bermuda, hopefully staying west of it.
Possibility at this point of Fiona remaining hurricane strength all the way to Nova Scotia.

US 89

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 20, 2022, 02:40:53 PM
Fiona really turned on the waterworks in the Greater Antilles.  With Maria, it was the wind, but for Fiona, it's the rain causing such problems for Puerto Rico.  Damn these slow moving tropical systems!

Now Fiona is expected to strengthen to a Cat 4 as it slowly makes it's way toward Bermuda, hopefully staying west of it.
Possibility at this point of Fiona remaining hurricane strength all the way to Nova Scotia.

I'd say more than possible. NHC is currently calling for a 100 mph landfall on eastern Nova Scotia. Better question is whether it will still be a tropical system or if it's transitioned to a strong extratropical cyclone by then.

As cool as Fiona looks on satellite, I am now much more interested in what is currently Invest 98L, east of the Windward Islands. All models develop this into what will likely be Tropical Storm Hermine, and most track it towards the northwest Caribbean, where a highly favorable environment will likely be waiting for it. Far too early for any real forecasts, but suffice it to say that all of Florida and the Gulf Coast should probably be paying attention.

Alex

Quote from: US 89 on September 20, 2022, 05:42:36 PM
As cool as Fiona looks on satellite, I am now much more interested in what is currently Invest 98L, east of the Windward Islands. All models develop this into what will likely be Tropical Storm Hermine, and most track it towards the northwest Caribbean, where a highly favorable environment will likely be waiting for it. Far too early for any real forecasts, but suffice it to say that all of Florida and the Gulf Coast should probably be paying attention.

And Hurricane Hermine in 2016 made landfall in the Big Bend area of Florida. What are the odds of a named storm hitting the same place during its next use on the 6 year naming cycle?

Scott5114

Wish we could get a tropical cyclone to make landfall in Texas and have its remnants make their way here to Oklahoma. We've had a really dry summer, and need the moisture (and the powerful low to break the current pattern).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

triplemultiplex

Sheesh, at this rate, the remnants of Fiona are going to be dumping on the ice sheets of Greenland by next week.  Wonderful...

US 89

Watching Hurricane Ian very closely. Modeling suggests the most likely scenario at the moment is a track that comes very close to the coast somewhere in the general Tampa vicinity, possibly making landfall, and then slowly moves north-northwest. The good news is that there will be a lot of shear in the northern Gulf, so it will be weakening (possibly rapidly) as it continues its march north even if it is still partly over water. Uncertainty in track is way higher than usual even 3 days out as models have been all over the place.

I don't think hurricane force winds are going to be an issue here in Tallahassee, but depending on ultimate track tropical storm force winds and several inches of rain could definitely be in the cards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.