News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How many states have a place called "[State Name] City, [State Name]"?

Started by KCRoadFan, February 27, 2024, 11:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Having recently gone through Nebraska City, NE, on a day trip to Lincoln and Omaha, I was wondering about how many states have a place called "[the name of the state] City" within the state. Anyway, here are the ones I know about, as well as how big or small they are and/or their claim to fame:

California City, CA - A big disappointment in the Mojave Desert, about 100 miles north of LA. Built in the 50's as a master-planned community with room for hundreds of thousands of people, today it's only home to about 15,000 residents. To this day, California City has many streets that are completely empty, with no houses or buildings of any kind along them, thanks to the ambitions of developers that fell through.

Colorado City, CO - A small town - really, not much more than a spot in the road - off I-25 between Pueblo and Walsenburg; also, "Old Colorado City" is the name of a neighborhood in Colorado Springs, off US 24 between downtown and Manitou Springs, with many eclectic shops and restaurants.

Florida City, FL - A south suburb of Miami, of a little over 10,000, along US 1 next to Homestead; it was heavily damaged in Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Idaho City, ID - A resort town in the Salmon River Mountains, northeast of Boise.

Illinois City, IL - A small town along the Mississippi River, just west of Rock Island.

Iowa City, IA - A college town of about 75,000, about 2 hours east of Des Moines, an hour west of Davenport, and half an hour south of Cedar Rapids; the home of the University of Iowa and a former state capital.

Jersey City, NJ - A densely populated inner-ring suburb located across the Hudson River from New York City; home to about 280,000. (I know it doesn't have "New" in the name, but it counts for this list!)

Kansas City, KS - An inner-ring suburb named for - and adjacent to - my hometown, the larger and better-known city of the same name in Missouri. Formerly known as Wyandotte City, KCK - as it's known to distinguish it from KCMO - is home to a little over 150,000, about 30% of the size of its Missouri counterpart.

Minnesota City, MN - A town of about 200 along the Mississippi River, next to Winona in the southeast part of the state.

Missouri City, MO - A small town along the Missouri River, about 20 miles northeast of KC.

Nebraska City, NE - A town of about 7,000 along the Missouri River, which I recently visited, about 45 miles south of Omaha; it claims to be the home of Arbor Day and has a bunch of "Corso" numbered streets for whatever reason.

New York City, NY - None other than the biggest city in the country - home to about 8 million - and one of the best-known cities in the world.

Ohio City, OH - Not actually a city or town itself, but rather the name of a neighborhood in Cleveland, just west of downtown.

Oklahoma City, OK - The capital and biggest city of the state, home to about 700,000; best known for being where Tim McVeigh blew up a federal office building with a truck bomb in 1995.

Oregon City, OR - The endpoint of the Oregon Trail and the capital of the Oregon Territory in the 1840s, and is also known for being where the famous coin flip took place that gave Portland its name; it is now a south suburb of that city and has a population of about 37,000.

Texas City, TX - A port town of about 55,000, southeast of Houston and across the shipping channel from Galveston; it is best known for a disaster that killed hundreds of people in 1947 when a ship exploded in the harbor.

In total, that's 15 states I found that have a city or town with the name [Name of the State] City, as well as an additional state in which one of its cities has a neighborhood with such a name. Anyway, can you think of any other examples around the country?

By the way, as an aside, here are the ones I know of that have the name "[State Name] City", but are in a different state:

Arkansas City, KS - A town of about 12,000 along the river of that name, southeast of Wichita and near the Oklahoma border.

Colorado City, AZ - A small town near the Utah border and down the road from Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks; best known for being run by a Mormon cult (or at least, it once was).

Kansas City, MO - My hometown! Home of the Chiefs, Royals, and great barbecue.

Michigan City, IN - A suburb of Chicago, next to the Indiana Dunes along Lake Michigan.

Missouri City, TX - A southwest suburb of Houston.

Nevada City, CA - A resort town in the Sierra Nevada mountains between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Virginia City, NV - An old silver-mining town, founded in 1859, near Reno and Carson City; based on this history, it is now a major tourist town in the region.

Again, any other such towns you can think of?

jlam

dlsterner

Maryland City, MD

Census-designated place near Laurel.  About 16000 people per 2010 census.  Not incorporated, but few cities in Maryland are.

wriddle082

There is a very small unincorporated community called Tennessee City located in western Dickson County along US 70 between McEwen and Dickson.  Nothing much there but a gas station, a fire department, and a Dollar General (because why not?).  And not too terribly far away from there to the northwest is Tennessee Ridge, an incorporated town just west of Erin.

Ted$8roadFan

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2024, 07:04:44 AM

Quote from: jlam on February 28, 2024, 12:17:22 AM
If you go international, you also have Quebec City, QC

Officially, it's just Quebec.

And, officially, New York City is just New York.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

I don't know how it's possible that this got overlooked, but:

Arkansas City, AR

They've even got a whole Interstate queued up to cross the Mississippi River there in half a century or so...

bwana39

If we get to counties it goes farther. There is only one where the city,county, and state are all the same.
Oklahoma, (City), Oklahoma (County), Oklahoma.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Scott5114

Quote from: bwana39 on February 28, 2024, 11:21:49 AM
If we get to counties it goes farther. There is only one where the city,count, and state are all the same.
Oklahoma, (City), Oklahoma (County), Oklahoma.

Technically not, though, since Oklahoma City's legal name does explicitly include the word "City" (the government is legally "The City of Oklahoma City").
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 27, 2024, 11:51:45 PM
Michigan City, IN - A suburb of Chicago, next to the Indiana Dunes along Lake Michigan.

That would be news to Michigan City residents.  They believe they're a part of Michiana (with South Bend and Elkhart), not Chicagoland nor NW Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jlam

You also left out Colorado City, TX, a Limon-sized ranching town along I-20.

Rothman

And Colorado City, AZ was run by FLDS, not "Mormons" (just plain old LDS...).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Virginia City, VA. A wide spot in Wise County located along Alt. US 58 between Norton and Abingdon, just west of St. Paul. A huge power plant was constructed there during the past 20 years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

fhmiii

Of note for those who get confused about the name of Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS and the Missouri-side city being the larger one:

Both cities are named for the Kansas River, the mouth of which is just a few hundred yards northwest of where the state line meets the Missouri River.  The state of Kansas is also named for the river, the basin of which covers most of the northern half of the state, plus much of southern Nebraska and eastern Colorado.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_River

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

miclugo

If having "city" in another language counts, Indianapolis.  If the state's name being in another language counts, Charleston and Carolina (although Charleston is actually named for King Charles II and Carolina for King Charles I).  The "Minne-" in Minneapolis is the same as the "Minne-" in "Minnesota".

And a quick Google finds Dakota Citys in Nebraska and Iowa, but I can't find one in either Dakota.

freebrickproductions

Alabama City, AL, is technically a "ghost town", as it merged with the neighboring city of Gadsden in 1932. Today it still exists as the neighborhood of Alabama City within Gadsden.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

lepidopteran

There is also a village named Ohio City in Van Wert County.  Not a very big place (Wikipedia gives a population of 651 in the last census), but it used to have 3 railroads going through the center of town, at different angles.  All tracks have since been ripped out, with one line converted to a bike trail.

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

golden eagle

Quote from: jlam on February 28, 2024, 12:03:16 PMYou also left out Colorado City, TX, a Limon-sized ranching town along I-20.

LIMON!!! That would make Todd (Control City Freak) freak out.

golden eagle

There used to be a Mississippi City, MS, until it was annexed by Gulfport in the 1960s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.