News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest One Week Temperature Variations You’ve Experienced

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 07, 2020, 12:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

It got down to 14 in last year's ice storm, but was in the 60s by the following Saturday.

kirbykart

I don't know if this is the largest for me, but it is the most recent. Oct. 17th- Miserable weather, probably like 34, cloudy, rain, the worst crap imaginable. Five days later, it was beautiful, sunny, actually quite nice. Two days after that it then became unpleasantly hot, was probably almost 80 but felt even hotter.

rlb2024

My first job out of college was on the installation and commissioning crew for a series of air traffic control radar systems.  The first site I worked on was outside of Kalispell, MT.  On July 1 it was 99 degrees.  On the morning of July 4 it was 26 degrees and snowing.

triplemultiplex

Low 70's today, mid 30's tomorrow.  That's pretty stark.  The upper Midwest is getting one of those "four seasons in 48 hours" storms.
Wouldn't have it any other way. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: kirbykart on November 10, 2022, 09:50:58 AM
I don't know if this is the largest for me, but it is the most recent. Oct. 17th- Miserable weather, probably like 34, cloudy, rain, the worst crap imaginable. Five days later, it was beautiful, sunny, actually quite nice. Two days after that it then became unpleasantly hot, was probably almost 80 but felt even hotter.

I don't even think 34 to 80 is unheard of for a single day in a lot of places.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kirbykart

^No, it's really not. But this is just the one that was freshest in my head, and it did say over the course a week.

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 29, 2021, 04:25:10 PM
I think last month's coldpocalypse set my record. On February 16, the low was 15 degrees, and the following week the high was 76. A difference of 61 degrees.
I may have actually broken this in October. I was home on a break from college, where it apparently got up to about 91 degrees. Less than a week later, I was back in Tulsa right in time for a cold snap which brought a low temperature of 27. That's a difference of 64 degrees if I'm counting this right. And a couple days after that cold snap hit it got up to 90 here, so that would be my new single-place temperature variation record I've experienced at 63.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

epzik8

I feel like I've been in the mid-30s and mid-70s in the same week in Maryland, around April
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jgb191

February 1996: I remember waking up to an overnight low close to the freezing mark (mid-30s) and a high in the upper 50s on 2/16/1996; then after a warm front it was a low near 70 degrees and a high of 102 degrees on 2/22/1996.

A decade later in April 2006 a similar warmup I experienced:  4/11/2006 it was upper 50s low and high around 80 degrees and then 4/17/2006 the low didn't drop below 80 degrees and the high reached 111 degrees.

Even wilder on a single day: more recently on Christmas Eve 2015:  As a cold front raced across Texas, I remember leaving the Houston Hobby airport around 5 AM it was 71 degrees and quite humid ahead of the cold front.  Then during a fuel stop in Victoria around 7 AM the temperature was low 50s, rainy, and breezy, the cold front had passed by that time.  I continued driving south to Brownsville, reached there right before Noon and it was approaching 90 degrees and the high temperature peaked at 92 degrees.  Left Brownsville just before sunset to head back north to Corpus Christi and during a fuel stop in Riviera it was 45 degrees around 8 PM.  So to summarize, I went from 70s right before sunrise to 50s mid-morning to 90s just after noon and down to 40s by evening after sunset....all that on Christmas Eve.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

ZLoth

The Texas Extreme Weather Event of February, 2021 where it snowed all the way south to Houston Texas. Just to give some context, it is expected to get a dusting of snow in the north half of Dallas maybe once per year. On February 14th, several inches of snow fell across Texas, including DFW. Two days later, DFW had the second lowest low of -2℉ on record, tying a record set on January 31st, 1949. And, by Sunday, February 21st, the high was 75℉. Having said that, the Texas infrastructure is designed for high temperatures, high winds, and rocks falling from the sky. As a result, many areas lost power, pipes burst, and homes had damage. I considered myself lucky that I got a home that is right next to a major medical center, so I did not lose power. My power bill was higher than normal because the freeze guard on my pool kicked in and ran for ten days. That was still cheaper that trying to even GET a replacement pumps, as the backlog lasted for months.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

JayhawkCO

Tomorrow we're supposed to have a high of 49° and a low of -10°.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 20, 2022, 01:42:18 PM

Similarly, here in Wichita, the current forecast for Thursday night is -3°F, and then a high the following Thursday is 55°F.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2022, 01:49:48 PM

Similarly, here in Wichita, the current forecast for Thursday night is -3°F, and then a high the following Thursday is 55°F.

I didn't look for the weekly. Highest is next Tuesday with high of 58° and then the low is now tomorrow at -12°. 70° swing.

1995hoo

Our forecast this Friday is for a high of 55°, a low of 17°, and an overnight windchill downtown of 1° (which means below-zero windchills in the suburbs where I live). I think my fleece-lined jeans will be making an appearance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 20, 2022, 01:54:51 PM
I didn't look for the weekly.

Why not?  You posted in a "one week temperature variations" thread.
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

its supposed to drop from 57 noon thursday to 17 at 6 am Friday

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2022, 02:28:27 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 20, 2022, 01:54:51 PM
I didn't look for the weekly.

Why not?  You posted in a "one week temperature variations" thread.

I thought it was notable enough of a one day change to be pertinent. And, one of my friends has posted the one day variation on social and I hadn't taken the time to go to weather.com.

kphoger

Hmm...  I thought there was a thread for one-day temp range, but I can't seem to find it.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

We're getting the same front in Norman–high Wednesday of 44°, followed by an estimated temperature of 6° at noon on Thursday. And of course, because Oklahoma, "Windy, with a north wind 24 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

achilles765

Road trip with friends from Louisiana to Woodstock CT. January 2. Was I think about 60 when we left Baton Rouge. Left at 9 pm. By the time morning came, we were just about to transition from I-40 to I-81 and stopped for gas and breakfast. It was 22. By the time we reached Woodstock it was 7.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

zachary_amaryllis

I keep trying to tell myself that because I'm in the mountains, it might be a 'smidge' warmer. But I'm not really THAT far up, like 5500 feet.

As i sit now, it's windy as absolute hell up here, warm(for this time of morning) and dead clear.

Actually, you've probably driven by my house.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Bruce

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on December 25, 2022, 05:57:29 PM
This week: went from a low of 8F to a high of 52F.

In Wichita, last Thursday's low was —5°F, while tomorrow's forecast high is +57°F.
Male pronouns, please.

Billy F 1988

In Missoula, it's a damn heat wave. It's gone from -23 with -40 wind chill last Wednesday the 22nd to today with light rain showers and 40 making the snow all yucky and mushy.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.