News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Place names that should be spelt differently according to pronounciation

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, November 02, 2023, 06:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 03, 2023, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: jlam on November 02, 2023, 11:49:03 AM
Colorado has a lot of them (mostly poor Spanish pronunciations):

Del Norte — Pronounced del nort (not the typical pronunciation of del nortay)

Huerfano — Pronounced warfuhno (not the typical pronunciation of wearfuhno)

Louisville — Pronounced looissvill (not Kentucky's pronunciation)

Monte Vista — Pronounced montuh visstuh (not the typical pronunciation of montay veestuh)

Rio Grande — Pronounced reeoh grand (not the typical pronunciation of reeoh granday)

Of course, that's just a few.

Those are all mild. Buena Vista is just atrocious.
Buena Vista County in Iowa is BOON-a Vista and so is Buena Vista University as well. It makes me wonder why I ever bothered with Spanish class in high school.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: webny99 on November 04, 2023, 10:39:58 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2023, 03:30:00 PM
Here are some actual ideas:

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

I am on board with these. Tucson took me years to get right. It's too close to Tuscan (as in Tuscan Garden), and for whatever reason it's almost impossible to differentiate between 'cs' and the more common 'sc' at a quick glance. The latter is also a much more natural pronunciation that blends and rolls off the tongue much easier. Adding a 'k' to make that '-ck' sound stand out would be great.

Unless, I'm being whooshed, I'm not sure I follow. There is no "ck" sound in Tucson.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 05, 2023, 01:56:22 PM

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

I am on board with these. Tucson took me years to get right. It's too close to Tuscan (as in Tuscan Garden), and for whatever reason it's almost impossible to differentiate between 'cs' and the more common 'sc' at a quick glance. The latter is also a much more natural pronunciation that blends and rolls off the tongue much easier. Adding a 'k' to make that '-ck' sound stand out would be great.

Unless, I'm being whooshed, I'm not sure I follow. There is no "ck" sound in Tucson.

The 'c' makes the 'ck' sound, hence Tuckson.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: webny99 on November 05, 2023, 03:04:37 PM

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

The 'c' makes the 'ck' sound.

In the actual English pronunciation of Tucson, though, the "c" does not make a "ck" sound, but rather an "ss" sound. It's "too-sahn."
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 05, 2023, 03:14:35 PM

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

In the actual English pronunciation of Tucson, though, the "c" does not make a "ck" sound, but rather an "ss" sound. It's "too-sahn."
No it doesn't.  The s is already there.  The c is just silent, hence Tucson not being pronounced as it's spelled.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vdeane on November 05, 2023, 03:30:20 PM

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

No it doesn't.  The s is already there.  The c is just silent, hence Tucson not being pronounced as it's spelled.

I agree that Tucson isn't pronounced like it's spelled, but the "ck" doesn't make it better, which is why I'm wondering if I'm being whooshed.

Rothman

We're going from entertaining to excruciating.

Who's got two thumbs and is all for Tuckson?  Rothman.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 05, 2023, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 05, 2023, 03:30:20 PM

I agree that Tucson isn't pronounced like it's spelled, but the "ck" doesn't make it better, which is why I'm wondering if I'm being whooshed.

On second thought... I may have overthought this and taken kphoger too seriously.

Both Tuckson and Spokain emphasize the mistaken pronunciation, not the actual one.

MikieTimT

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 06, 2023, 08:01:24 AM
On second thought... I may have overthought this and taken kphoger too seriously.

Both Tuckson and Spokain emphasize the mistaken pronunciation, not the actual one.

Correct.  Although I actually typed "Spocain", but same difference.

Should be [not]Two Sonn[/not] and Spocann.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Tuckson, AZ
Spocain, WA

'TOO-san', 'Toosan'

:cool:

Mike

golden eagle

I just recently found out that Peabody, MA is pronounced Pea-ba-dee. I'll think of that pronunciation when I think of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis or watching Mr. Peabody & Sherman on the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons.

Brandon

Quote from: Big John on November 02, 2023, 06:47:50 AM
Worcester MA

Exactly.  If you're going to pronounce it "Woostah", spell it "Woostah", not wor-ce-ster (and for God's sake, pronounce the frigging r).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on November 12, 2023, 09:36:26 AM
(and for God's sake, pronounce the frigging r).

This is dependent on local accent. Personally, I don't drop R at the end of words, so I pronounce the final letter in Worcester.

If all spoken by the same person, Wooster OH, Worcester MA, and Worcester UK should all be pronounced identically, notwithstanding your proposal to change it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on November 12, 2023, 09:39:34 AM

This is dependent on local accent. Personally, I don't drop R at the end of words, so I pronounce the final letter in Worcester.

If all spoken by the same person, Wooster OH, Worcester MA, and Worcester UK should all be pronounced identically, notwithstanding your proposal to change it.
I had a teacher in elementary school in MA that would take all the unpronounced Rs and stick them in other places, such as when he's ask us to "draw(er) a picture."  Found the mixture of both not pronouncing and adding Rs to be somewhat rare in MA.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: webny99 on November 06, 2023, 08:01:24 AM

Ah, so I was being whooshed. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. 

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on November 12, 2023, 09:39:34 AM

They'd all sound different.  One is obviously "Woo-ster".  The other two, to a speaker of Inland North, look like "wor-ces-ster".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SD Mapman

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 02, 2023, 08:00:28 AM
Don't get me started on the botched pronunciations of French names in the US.

Since you're from Quebec, we won't make fun of you when we ask how to pronounce Pierre, SD (we make fun of everyone else).
Honest question, how would you pronounce Belle Fourche? We pronounce it like "Bell Foosh" which I think is closer to the correct French but I never took any French in school.

My personal annoyance: Norfolk, NE (should be Norfork, started out as "North Fork" (of some sort) but the post office misread it into Norfolk and they never bothered to fix it).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Urban Prairie Schooner

freebrickproductions

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 12, 2023, 05:46:15 PM
My personal annoyance: Norfolk, NE (should be Norfork, started out as "North Fork" (of some sort) but the post office misread it into Norfolk and they never bothered to fix it).

Just like Arab, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

7/8

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2023, 09:55:17 AM
I had a teacher in elementary school in MA that would take all the unpronounced Rs and stick them in other places, such as when he's ask us to "draw(er) a picture."  Found the mixture of both not pronouncing and adding Rs to be somewhat rare in MA.

This is called "intrusive R". I hear used by English people on TV.
Quote from: WikipediaThe phenomenon of intrusive R is an overgeneralizing reinterpretation of linking R into an r-insertion rule that affects any word that ends in the non-high vowels /ə/, /ɪə/, /ɑː/, or /ɔː/; when such a word is closely followed by another word beginning in a vowel sound, an /r/ is inserted between them, even when no final /r/ was historically present. For example, the phrase bacteria in it would be pronounced /bækˈtɪəriərˌɪnɪt/. The epenthetic /r/ can be inserted to prevent hiatus (two consecutive vowel sounds).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.