News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Zoom meeting

Started by tolbs17, October 30, 2021, 11:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Should this forum set up a zoom (video call) meeting? I can do anytime for fun. Just asking.

ozarkman417

I would much prefer Discord for something like this (and that went just about as good as I expected), and surely some of us on here have simply had enough of Zoom over this past year and a half.

Roadgeekteen

Nah I'm tired of video calls
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

oscar

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 30, 2021, 11:56:32 PM
Should this forum I set up a zoom (video call) meeting? I can do anytime for fun. Just asking.

FTFY.

You can raise your suggestion on the Road Enthusiast Meetings board, with some details such as the proposed topic for discussion, who might be able to help host (such as someone with a Zoom account able to handle the meet), and scheduling.

I was just involved in a Zoom meetup of college classmates, and simply setting up a time that worked for whoever might be interested took a lot of work. Our group lives mainly on the West Coast, but has people in other North American time zones, and one in Jerusalem who we really wanted to include, which meant picking a time when she'd still be awake. Also, many of us still have day jobs. We went with noon Pacific time on a Sunday. Similar issues with this forum if our members in Europe or the U.K. want to join in.

I have no idea about how Discord works. More universal familiarity with Zoom, but if the people who want to participate prefer Discord, go for it.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Also worth noting that, unless the host has a paid Zoom account, the Zoom meeting is limited to 40 minutes.

zachary_amaryllis

satellite internet is unusable for zooming because of latency. they say they've worked that out, but you just can't beat the speed of light -- my first hop is 44000 miles, when i'm at home.

someone suggested i use my phone and hook up to wifi, which, up here... is satellite.

stupid viasat.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hotdogPi

I prefer Zoom over Discord.

Regarding the 40 minutes: you can just create another meeting immediately after.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on October 31, 2021, 06:59:00 AM
I prefer Zoom over Discord.

Regarding the 40 minutes: you can just create another meeting immediately after.
Second that.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on October 31, 2021, 08:57:00 AM
Another no here.

The chat contains far fewer people than the forum. Even if we get a small fraction on Zoom, it can still happen.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on October 31, 2021, 09:34:28 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 31, 2021, 08:57:00 AM
Another no here.

The chat contains far fewer people than the forum. Even if we get a small fraction on Zoom, it can still happen.

We had something like this already via Roadwaywiz YouTube webinars during the pandemic.  Basically they were as close to actual virtual road meets as we are likely to get. 

hbelkins

If you want to set up something, go for it. AFAIK the forum has never officially sanctioned any activity, be it an in-person meet or a virtual one.

How active is the chat? I've never done any chats. I ventured into the old IRC chat a couple of times but no one was active. The issue is that people often have other things to do than engage in an active chat room. Reading forum posts can be done at leisure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I never found the forum chat to be user friendly aside from a lap top or desk top.  Other media interfaces lend themselves far better to be used on a mobile device for chat room purposes.  I browse through the forum pretty much periodically through the day when I'm bored (which is often). 

tolbs17

Quote from: hbelkins on November 01, 2021, 10:23:46 AM
If you want to set up something, go for it. AFAIK the forum has never officially sanctioned any activity, be it an in-person meet or a virtual one.

How active is the chat? I've never done any chats. I ventured into the old IRC chat a couple of times but no one was active. The issue is that people often have other things to do than engage in an active chat room. Reading forum posts can be done at leisure.
Semi-active. I hardly even go there

Scott5114

From what I can tell, the chat is active every day, but only during the evening hours. If you show up during working hours, or after about midnight Eastern Time, it's usually empty.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.