News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 22

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 22, 2022, 07:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Happy Twosday!  Celebrate 2/22/22 by learning about California State Route 22, the Garden Grove Freeway and the so called "Orange Crush Interchange."

California State Route 22 is an urban State Highway located in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.  California State Route 22 begins at California State Route 1 in Long Beach via 7th Street.  California State Route 22 eastbound becomes a freeway near the city limit of Long Beach and begins a multiplex on Interstate 405/San Diego Freeway in Orange County.  California State Route 22 eastbound departs Interstate 405 onto the Garden Grove Freeway towards a terminus at California State Route 55 in Orange.  California State Route 22 contains the notable Orange Crush Interchange which junctions Interstate 5/Santa Ana Freeway and California State Route 57/Orange Freeway.  Featured as the blog cover photo is the Orange Crush Interchange shortly after it was completed as depicted in the November/December 1964 California Highways & Public Works.   

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/02/california-state-route-22-orange-crush.html?m=1

M3100

Thanks for the post of 22 on 2-22-22; I rarely drive the 7th Avenue segment of CA SR 22 so that was good to see some pics. No "End 22" sign?

Regarding the connection between I-405 and SR 22: that is one of several LA-area interchanges that one cannot transition from one freeway to another in certain directions of travel via a connecting ramp.  For whatever reason (Lack of space? No rational person would need that transition?) one cannot go from NB I-405 to EB CA SR 22, or WB SR 22 to SB I-405, without traversing a short segment of Valley View.

Max Rockatansky

That's a negative on a CA 22 END assembly at PCH in Long Beach.  It looked like someone stole the CA 1 reassurance shield from the junction also.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: M3100 on February 22, 2022, 10:31:41 PM
Thanks for the post of 22 on 2-22-22; I rarely drive the 7th Avenue segment of CA SR 22 so that was good to see some pics. No "End 22" sign?

Regarding the connection between I-405 and SR 22: that is one of several LA-area interchanges that one cannot transition from one freeway to another in certain directions of travel via a connecting ramp.  For whatever reason (Lack of space? No rational person would need that transition?) one cannot go from NB I-405 to EB CA SR 22, or WB SR 22 to SB I-405, without traversing a short segment of Valley View.

The n/b 405 to e/b 22 routing doesn't actually reach Valley View.  The route is an off-ramp with a stoplight at Garden Grove Blvd, then straight through the light onto the e/b 22 on-ramp.

bing101

Dang I remember hearing that there are 34 ways to enter Orange crush interchange at one point and some of them involved CA-22 freeway.

M3100

The n/b 405 to e/b 22 routing doesn't actually reach Valley View.  The route is an off-ramp with a stoplight at Garden Grove Blvd, then straight through the light onto the e/b 22 on-ramp.

Thanks; I stand (sit) corrected.  In looking over that sort-of-interchange, I realize I never made that transition in that direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.