News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Ugliest Highways

Started by webny99, March 02, 2022, 12:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

How about the New Jersey Turnpike from Woodbridge Township to Secaucus. It just goes by these ugly factories and railroad yards. Although you could argue that the NYC skyline is nice.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jmacswimmer

Quote from: seicer on March 02, 2022, 07:59:28 PM
Baltimore-Washington Parkway in the vicinity of Baltimore. Perhaps it's been cleaned up since then but it was a pretty rough and ugly drive:

- https://goo.gl/maps/RoZgJmUn14TxNEkj7
- https://goo.gl/maps/D3m4wmx6hvv4dQKR8
- Looks like they may have cleaned up the median but did they plant anything new? https://goo.gl/maps/VfdvLPwkHQttypAdA
-

Agreed, that is one hideous segment.  Here's another one from across town: The ghost freeway that was supposed to be I-170.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 03, 2022, 08:48:50 AM
Quote from: seicer on March 02, 2022, 07:59:28 PM
Baltimore-Washington Parkway in the vicinity of Baltimore. Perhaps it's been cleaned up since then but it was a pretty rough and ugly drive:

- https://goo.gl/maps/RoZgJmUn14TxNEkj7
- https://goo.gl/maps/D3m4wmx6hvv4dQKR8
- Looks like they may have cleaned up the median but did they plant anything new? https://goo.gl/maps/VfdvLPwkHQttypAdA
-

Agreed, that is one hideous segment.

Yeah, that's a good one. I remember thinking how ugly it was as I was sitting in the terrible traffic on my DC trip back in 2017.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 03, 2022, 08:48:50 AM
Here's another one from across town: The ghost freeway that was supposed to be I-170.

This one I don't have as much of an issue with. Sure it's empty and a bit spooky looking, but at least the pavement is in OK shape, there's not graffiti everywhere, and the median is spruced up pretty nicely.

Henry

For Chicago, I'd nominate the Ike (I-290) as its ugliest expressway, especially with all the construction that's been going on lately. It goes through a rough part of town, and certainly looks the part too, but the awesome downtown skyline view makes up for it. Before the Dan Ryan (I-90/I-94) got reconstructed back in the 90s, the same things applied to it as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jaehak

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2022, 02:06:35 PM
I-5 from Sacramento to the Grapevine.

Unless, one considers flat terrain and power lines "pretty" .

Agreed. This and I-70 in Missouri between Blue Springs and Wentzville are probably my least favorite drives. The 5 may be worse since 70 has a cool river crossing and isn't quite as long.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on March 03, 2022, 05:09:59 AM
I remember the one time I drove on Ayd Mill Road in St. Paul, MN, that road was horrible all the way around.

The 4th St viaduct between I-94 and downtown Minneapolis is another of my "favorites".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US20IL64

Quote from: Henry on March 03, 2022, 10:20:45 AM
For Chicago, I'd nominate the Ike (I-290) as its ugliest expressway, especially with all the construction that's been going on lately. It goes through a rough part of town, and certainly looks the part too, but the awesome downtown skyline view makes up for it. Before the Dan Ryan (I-90/I-94) got reconstructed back in the 90s, the same things applied to it as well.

When new(er), Ike/Congress was Mid Century Modern squeaky clean, the El/CTA transit stations looked good when new, too. Now, a run down mess, waiting for a rebuild/

Flint1979

What about the section of the Lake Ontario State Parkway that is closed in the winter? That is one ugly highway right there.

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on March 03, 2022, 10:20:45 AM
The thing with Chicago is that I never really worried too much about the expressways that go through the rough neighborhoods like the Ike on the westside or the Dan Ryan on the southside but I knew if I got off I would be in a dangerous neighborhood. Being a Sox fan I have gone to plenty of games at Comiskey Park and I got off a little early one time and went through the Fuller Park neighborhood that neighborhood is the definition of the word ugly.

skluth

IL 3 from Venice to Cahokia

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 03, 2022, 04:04:25 PM
What about the section of the Lake Ontario State Parkway that is closed in the winter? That is one ugly highway right there.

It is, although it wouldn't be too bad scenery-wise if it was paved. I still think the one in the OP is worse on balance.

jdbx

I-880 through Oakland is always pretty embarrassing when I am picking up guests from out of town:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7813731,-122.2386907,3a,75y,290.75h,92.03t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdOuPJnC0bsat9tRgmNCGoA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DdOuPJnC0bsat9tRgmNCGoA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D104.10676%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Riddled with graffiti, trash-strewn homeless encampments on both sides of the highway. An uncle who flew in from Miami told me that it reminded him of the favelas in Rio.  I guess the pavement is in good shape at least <shrug>

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 05:44:53 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 03, 2022, 04:04:25 PM

It is, although it wouldn't be too bad scenery-wise if it was paved. I still think the one in the OP is worse on balance.
It would be great if it was repaved and had it's bridges replaced. Those are some ugly bridges there too. I hear people are looking to vacation in Orleans County, NY.

formulanone

Any route with temporary Jersey barriers that been left in place for several years, long after a construction project. Bonus points when they're crumbling and slightly dislodged.

But that crap is seriously weak...I can deal with brutalist architecture, mid-century modern, and shabby appearances.

tsmatt13

There are monstrous potholes on I-95's GWB and when they get fixed, new ones always come up.
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

thspfc

Just about the entirety of I-43 is showing its age (except for within the limits of the Marquette and Mitchell interchange projects).

FightingIrish

Quote from: DandyDan on March 03, 2022, 05:09:59 AM
I remember the one time I drove on Ayd Mill Road in St. Paul, MN, that road was horrible all the way around.
Ayd Mill is a very crude road.

SSR_317

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2022, 07:45:18 AM
I-17 south of The Stack on the Durango Curve isn't much of a looker.  Much of the Black Canyon Highway portion north I-10 was built as AZ 69 isn't doesn't have any design flair to it unlike the other freeways around Phoenix.
I always joked that the original Black Canyon Freeway should have been named the CONCRETE Canyon Freeway. Talk about brutalist! Of course, back when it was new in the late 1950s, it might not have been quite that bad, but the cheap design (understandable at the time, though it made adding new lanes nearly impossibly expensive & time consuming) and the explosive growth of the Valley since (which created legendary traffic jams, making lane expansion imperative) combined to make it one of the ugliest freeways in the country. I suppose that at SOME point ADOT will finally get around to redoing that section of I-17, but if anyone wants to see what the entire BCF used to be like, that remaining stretch of the original freeway south of The Stack & north of the Durango Curve is it!

FightingIrish

Quote from: thspfc on June 18, 2022, 09:42:51 PM
Just about the entirety of I-43 is showing its age (except for within the limits of the Marquette and Mitchell interchange projects).
I-43 is just terrible all around. North of the Marquette, it goes through some of the worst neighborhoods in the city. North of Silver Spring, it drops down to two lanes in each direction, creating a nasty bottleneck. The rest of the way to Green Bay is pretty boring. And in Green Bay, it maintains it's four lane width, even across the bridge.

The Milwaukee -Beloit extension isn't as bad. Nice rolling hills, but only four total lanes from the Hale Interchange into Waukesha County. The single lane ramps of the Hale get very backed up. And the left ramp for US 45 that quickly pops up is dangerous. Another highway designed decades ago for a non-Interstate designation (the former WIS 15) that has not been upgraded much since.

At least there are vital parts of the road currently being upgraded. Silver Spring to WIS 60 is getting additional lanes, and I'm hoping that the reconstruction of the Layton Ave bridge SW of the Hale is a sign of improvements in that area.

All in all, the Milwaukee-area freeways are still better than that US 12 mess between Illinois and WIS 67. That road is straight out of a third-world country.

SSR_317

The former Airport Expressway, now renamed Sam Jones Expressway, is probably the worst, but fortunately one of the shortest, stretches of "ugly" highway in Indiana's Capitol City. Poorly designed and horribly maintained even before it stopped being the main highway route to IND airport, the Sam Jones was a major embarrassment to the Circle City, one most visitors arriving and/or departing our city by air travel no longer have to see. Which is probably why, other than the rebuild of its I-465 interchange, very little has been done to improve it.

achilles765

SH 225 here in Houston isn't winning any awards for sure.  Old, badly maintained pavement, potholes, it runs through the most heavily industrialized and poorest areas of the metro area... all you see for 22 miles or so is one petrochemical plant and tank yard after another. And some old run down cities that most people inside the loop or in the west and north never even think about. 

The stretch of I-10 East from Beltway 8 to Grand Parkway in Baytown is very similar.  Heavy industry, nasty little towns, old pavement, graffiti.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

roadman65

I would say I-70, I-78, and I-83 in PA all qualify as they look more like urban expressways than rural interstates due to them taking over previous US and state routes.

I-295 over US 130 in NJ used to be before it got reconstructed. Previously it looked like a local off freeway road and not an attractive freeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Chris19001

OCGuy81

Before they moved it underground, the Alaskan Way viaduct in Seattle was an eye sore

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 21, 2022, 04:50:05 PM
Before they moved it underground, the Alaskan Way viaduct in Seattle was an eye sore

The views from the top sure weren't ugly.  I found the Viaduct to be an extremely distinct and had a "so ugly it's beautiful"  quality.  But then again I found the Embarcadero Freeway had similar qualities which I enjoyed.  I guess that I'm a fan of mid-20th Brutalist infrastructure design and the accompanying sense of dystopia. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.