News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite Caltrans Screwups

Started by Occidental Tourist, March 07, 2022, 01:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I get that it isn't the usual CalTrans way of signing things.  I just have a hard time considering that a "screwup", when the HOV lanes I've actually used (not in California) have been part-time HOV.  That is to say, outside of rush hour, they are general traffic lanes.

Here is an example.  If the two downward-pointing arrows below I-35W were replaced with "LEFT 3 LANES", I wouldn't consider that to be an error.  Heck, the lane line is even dashed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

That's just it, I don't think they are ever general purpose. 

Example HOV signage on I-405:

https://flic.kr/p/257Rvqr

But to your point, I don't disagree that it isn't a substantial screw up.  There are plenty of lane markings at the 405/710 junction indicating the HOV lane.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2022, 03:51:40 PM
Here is an example.  If the two downward-pointing arrows below I-35W were replaced with "LEFT 3 LANES", I wouldn't consider that to be an error.  Heck, the lane line is even dashed.

To your credit, British Columbia does not make any distinction with regard to HOV or general purpose lanes on pull-through signage. Here is an example, but all APLs along Hwy 1 are like this; sometimes you see an HOV tab as well, such as here.

Scott5114

This sort of ambiguity is another reason why "Left 487,364 Lanes" type signage is rarely the right solution to anything.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2022, 10:08:51 PM
This sort of ambiguity is another reason why "Left 487,364 Lanes" type signage is rarely the right solution to anything.

I agree, but if it were prohibited then it's likely that the locations that do it would simply remove the "left x lanes" legend, leaving a pull-through sign without any lane guidance.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

FredAkbar

This sign has always bothered me: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4420033,-119.8077771,3a,75y,271.19h,79.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7oMch-zSOnYDVBEfMxj4NA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

101N at CA-217 in Goleta. The sign indicating that Fairview Ave is upcoming, has an arrow over just the #2 lane (out of 3 total lanes), as if the #3 lane here were an exit only lane for CA-217 (it's clearly not). The Fairview Ave exit obviously exits from the #3 lane, not the middle lane.

It's been like that since I lived there 10-15 years ago. Is it somehow intentional, like they don't want people clogging up the #3 lane too early in preparation for the next exit 1+ miles away? Seems like a stretch.

ran4sh

Other states do a lot worse than that. Such as having a down arrow for thru traffic that points to the left lane, when both the left and right lane are available for thru traffic.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

SeriesE

Quote from: ran4sh on March 12, 2022, 07:08:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2022, 10:08:51 PM

I agree, but if it were prohibited then it's likely that the locations that do it would simply remove the "left x lanes" legend, leaving a pull-through sign without any lane guidance.

That is perfectly fine - it becomes the MUTCD E6-2a pull through sign. In SF Bay Area, most pull through signs do not have arrows.

Sacramento has part time HOV lanes, and there's one pull through sign on I-80 W that treats it as a normal lane.

ran4sh

I think you're missing the point. Yes it is MUTCD-compliant, but it is less useful to drivers than a sign that has lane information on it.

ClassicHasClass

It's a weird holdover, too. Caltrans generally moved away from that. In D8 when NEXT RIGHT or NEXT EXIT greenout fell off, it usually revealed a lane down arrow. CA 60 I think still has one or two of these examples in Moreno Valley.

jdbx

Quote from: FredAkbar on March 12, 2022, 07:33:37 PM
This sign has always bothered me: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4420033,-119.8077771,3a,75y,271.19h,79.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7oMch-zSOnYDVBEfMxj4NA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

101N at CA-217 in Goleta. The sign indicating that Fairview Ave is upcoming, has an arrow over just the #2 lane (out of 3 total lanes), as if the #3 lane here were an exit only lane for CA-217 (it's clearly not). The Fairview Ave exit obviously exits from the #3 lane, not the middle lane.

It's been like that since I lived there 10-15 years ago. Is it somehow intentional, like they don't want people clogging up the #3 lane too early in preparation for the next exit 1+ miles away? Seems like a stretch.

My theory is that the sign is a relic from when US-101 was only 2 lanes through there, and after the highway was widened the sign was never moved or updated.  Maybe a greenout was placed over the arrow at the time of construction, but knowing Caltrans, whenever the sign was replaced they used the original signing plans.

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on March 11, 2022, 05:04:18 PM

To your credit, British Columbia does not make any distinction with regard to HOV or general purpose lanes on pull-through signage. Here is an example, but all APLs along Hwy 1 are like this; sometimes you see an HOV tab as well, such as here.

On an unrelated note, I like how they have the A & B slightly smaller than the numbers on the exit tabs. I think it's much more understandable that way.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on March 14, 2022, 01:29:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 11, 2022, 05:04:18 PM

On an unrelated note, I like how they have the A & B slightly smaller than the numbers on the exit tabs. I think it's much more understandable that way.

Yeah, I always thought that was neat. BC has quite a few unique aspects to their signage, typical of Canadian provinces. They also like to use interpuncts rather than hyphens, which I've not seen elsewhere.

The Ghostbuster

I'm surprised no one mentioned the one-time sign goof of CA 152 being signed as Interstate 152: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix52.html. Of course, that was over 20 years ago, but it would qualify as my favorite Caltrans screwup.

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 14, 2022, 03:20:53 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the one-time sign goof of CA 152 being signed as Interstate 152: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/ix52.html. Of course, that was over 20 years ago, but it would qualify as my favorite Caltrans screwup.

Wait, how am I just now finding out there's a town in California named "restrooms"?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2022, 03:22:21 PM

Wait, how am I just now finding out there's a town in California named "restrooms"?

Accurate name too, not many places to stop on 152 west from there until Casa de Fruita. 

ClassicHasClass

Well, the town itself translates it as "the baths" (besides omitting the tilde). I guess that's accurate, but I'm not a native speaker.

Usually stopped there for the bathroom and a burger though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on March 15, 2022, 06:24:29 PM
Well, the town itself translates it as "the baths" (besides omitting the tilde). I guess that's accurate, but I'm not a native speaker.

The food options in Los Banos are surprisingly varied.  I never really found Pacheco Boulevard (CA 152/CA 33) to be as big of a traffic pain as it is often made out to be.  I can think of many far worse places to stop for a meal or just to take a break.

heynow415

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2022, 06:30:55 PM

The food options in Los Banos are surprisingly varied.  I never really found Pacheco Boulevard (CA 152/CA 33) to be as big of a traffic pain as it is often made out to be.  I can think of many far worse places to stop for a meal or just to take a break.

And a bit farther north, there's Manteca (Lard).  Many towns got their odd names from recording or post office establishment errors way back when but for others, what would have inspired the name can be a fascinating read.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: heynow415 on March 16, 2022, 12:57:29 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 15, 2022, 06:30:55 PM

And a bit farther north, there's Manteca (Lard).  Many towns got their odd names from recording or post office establishment errors way back when but for others, what would have inspired the name can be a fascinating read.

Rail sidings can have very interesting place name origins.  My favorite in the area is Modesto which is a play on "Modesty"  given the guy the Southern Pacific wanted name the place after refused the honor.

kphoger

Quote from: heynow415 on March 16, 2022, 12:57:29 PM

Yep.  "Manteca" was a misspelling by the Central Pacific Railroad.
Male pronouns, please.

pderocco

That's funny. La Jolla Parkway once had a BGS directing people to I-52. It has since been corrected. But of course, that wasn't Caltrans. https://pbase.com/pderocco/image/84182708

kurumi

(EDIT: it's satire, this sign is indeed from Utah, sorry)

Come onnnnn Caltrans, it's like you're not even trying :-)

I see this abomination every day on Moffett Boulevard (no, that's not true)

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on March 23, 2022, 01:55:23 PM

Where on Moffett Boulevard?  Fair chance that's the military responsible that mess.

There is some pretty alien looking US 101 signage departing Moffett Field on Moffett Boulevard southbound.  The military in general has some fascinatingly weird signage that tends to get posted on their properties pretty much nationwide. 

plain

Quote from: kurumi on March 23, 2022, 01:55:23 PM

Did you post the correct image? I never been to the west coast but I'm certain CA doesn't use yellow signal housings and that's obviously a UT state route on the street blade...
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.