Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

__________ is/are overrated.

<< < (170/175) > >>

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 10, 2022, 06:02:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 08, 2022, 02:14:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: plain on June 08, 2022, 01:34:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 11:23:30 AM ---Water is a scam.

--- End quote ---

Especially most of these bottled waters

--- End quote ---

Aside from boil notices I tend to agree domestically.  Most domestic tap water “to me” tasted better than the bottled water brands.

--- End quote ---

Or if you live in a state (like Florida) with higher risk of natural disasters that actively encourage folks to have bottled water in the event of a major hurricane.

--- End quote ---

I'd be more worried about someone living in an area where natural disasters occur with little to no notice:  A tornado or earthquake variable area, for example.

Unless the person lives off the grid, someone in a hurricane prone area will have several day's notice that a storm could be approaching.  And while we think of Florida being hurricane prone, it's such a big state that most areas rarely see a significant hurricane.

While there's plenty of news stories out there warning people to always have significant supplies of emergency food and water on hand, the reality is someone will probably do fine with what's in their pantry for a week if they absolutely had to.  It's those that run out of money, don't have electric, or whose home was destroyed that tend to have the most problems...and the emergency supply of food ain't gonna do them any good when their home is collapsed onto those supplies.

formulanone:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 10, 2022, 08:37:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 10, 2022, 06:02:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 08, 2022, 02:14:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: plain on June 08, 2022, 01:34:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 11:23:30 AM ---Water is a scam.

--- End quote ---

Especially most of these bottled waters

--- End quote ---

Aside from boil notices I tend to agree domestically.  Most domestic tap water “to me” tasted better than the bottled water brands.

--- End quote ---

Or if you live in a state (like Florida) with higher risk of natural disasters that actively encourage folks to have bottled water in the event of a major hurricane.

--- End quote ---

I'd be more worried about someone living in an area where natural disasters occur with little to no notice:  A tornado or earthquake variable area, for example.

Unless the person lives off the grid, someone in a hurricane prone area will have several day's notice that a storm could be approaching.  And while we think of Florida being hurricane prone, it's such a big state that most areas rarely see a significant hurricane.

While there's plenty of news stories out there warning people to always have significant supplies of emergency food and water on hand, the reality is someone will probably do fine with what's in their pantry for a week if they absolutely had to.  It's those that run out of money, don't have electric, or whose home was destroyed that tend to have the most problems...and the emergency supply of food ain't gonna do them any good when their home is collapsed onto those supplies.

--- End quote ---

Still, you should prepare because even though there's reports of truly awful damage, statistically most people are only mildly affected by a hurricane or other natural disaster.

If you can afford to be prepared, do it. Better to be away from the uncanny valley of opportunistic panic hoarders and empty shelves. Then in 6-12 months, you rotate your stock, depleting what you can (water, food, batteries, et cetera) and re-stock. Less of it goes stale, leaks, or becomes unusable by that method. Obviously items with short shelf lives don't work in that type of rotation schedule, you prepare for that on an ad hoc basis.

thspfc:

--- Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 05:35:50 PM ---This one is for the runners on here:

What do you think of pre-run stretching?  Overrated or properly rated?

I've never been one to stretch before exercising unless the weather is cold.  I'm more likely to stretch afterward, though.

--- End quote ---
Properly rated.

thspfc:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2022, 06:13:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2022, 05:25:08 PM ---Doing yard work is overrated.

--- End quote ---

Not only that, but the idea that you need to have a well-kept, finely manicured yard that requires constant attention, spotless grass with no dead areas or unsightly weeds, and so on.

--- End quote ---
Sadly, the more you actually use your yard, the worse its condition gets. I love the look of perfect grass as much as anyone, but I couldn't bear to mess it up by doing something on it.

In colder climates, if you want a decent-looking yard, you pretty much have to leave it untouched between the first major snowfall and the last.

Scott5114:
That's partly why I stopped spraying for weeds—if the perfect uniform appearance is already marred by dandelions or whatever, nobody's going to notice my footprints from when I go over to check on the trees or go get rain out of the barrel or whatever.

I'm sure there's a certain type of person who would seize up knowing that I've started intentionally planting clover in bare patches that I've never been able to get actual grass to grow in. Clover is nice because it grows to a fairly uniform height that is acceptable enough without having to be mowed. Bees like it, too, which some may see as a drawback but I see as a benefit. I like bees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version