News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stadiums dominated by fans of the visiting team

Started by KCRoadFan, May 19, 2022, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

With the Orioles hosting the Yankees today, I thought about how the Yankees - and also the Red Sox - often have a lot of their fans at Camden Yards whenever their teams visit Baltimore. (Listening to the game on the radio, I heard a huge cheer as the Yankees tied the game in the ninth, even though the game is in Baltimore.)

That led me to wonder: what other teams are known for playing host to lots of visiting-team fans? I know that in college football, Vanderbilt largely seems to exist as a way for fans of the other SEC teams to spend a fall weekend partying it up in Nashville and (likely) seeing their team win. Elsewhere, Indiana draws a lot of Ohio State fans when the Buckeyes come to visit, and the same was true of Baylor whenever Texas/A&M/Tech came to town - at least until Baylor became a good team.

In the NFL, the Los Angeles Chargers appear to have that sort of reputation. What other teams throughout the country, in whichever league, are known for having fans of the opposing team fill their stadium (whether it be visiting-team fans in general, or those of a particular opponent)? I look forward to hearing more!

Max Rockatansky

Almost every professional sporting event in Phoenix excluding the Suns is mostly pro-road team

abefroman329

Quote from: KCRoadFan on May 19, 2022, 04:21:00 PMWhat other teams throughout the country, in whichever league, are known for having fans of the opposing team fill their stadium (whether it be visiting-team fans in general, or those of a particular opponent)?
I know Nats Park used to be full of Phillies fans when they came to town, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Unless they're doing well, NHL teams in the Sun Belt, particularly the team formerly known as the Atlanta Thrashers, although I don't know if those are fans specifically traveling for the game, or if they just happen to be in town and can see a game for 1/5 the cost of attending a game in their home town.

A little over ten years ago, IU played a football game against Penn State at FedExField, and the crowd was mainly Penn State fans.

brad2971

The last time the Cornhuskers played in Boulder at CU's Folsom Field (in 2019), the stadium was up to 60% filled with Huskers fans.

TheHighwayMan3561

There was a 2006 Bears at Rams game in St. Louis where so many Bears fans showed that the Rams had to use a silent count on offense.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alps

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on May 19, 2022, 07:27:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 19, 2022, 04:58:59 PM
Ctrl+F Tampa
no results
now result
Not talking about the Trop, I take it.
Baseball wise, the stadium only fills for Yankees games.

NWI_Irish96

If one of the White Sox/Cubs is very good and the other very bad, the good team's fans will dominate the opposing stadium.

At one point, the Nashville Predators required an in-state address to purchase tickets for home games against the BlackHawks due to being overrun by Chicago fans. Not sure if that's still a policy.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hobsini2

Miller Park in Milwaukee during Cubs games is Wrigley North.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Bruce

Blue Jays at Mariners. Whole ton of them drive down from Vancouver.

Generally whenever a Liga MX team plays at a stadium in the US, since they can draw from several states away.

jp the roadgeek

In the old days, Bruins fans used to dominate Whalers fans at the XL Hartford Civic Center

Red Sox always draw a lot of fans in Anaheim and Arlington, in addition to Oriole Park at Camden Yards Fenway South.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

I'm not a Tigers fan but I really don't hate them even though they are a divisional rival of the White Sox who I am a fan of. My dad is a Tigers fan though and about 10 years ago I went with him to Cleveland for a Tigers-Indians game. We got tickets right behind the first base dugout and had a few more people with us. I was sitting in a section dominated by Tigers fans who started a LETS GO TIGERS chant in Cleveland. I thought it was hilarious how the Tigers fans took over the ballpark so I joined in lol. Cleveland fans of course were booing and chanting LETS GO TRIBE but the Tigers fans in that section dominated it so much that when I got home to Saginaw later that night and was watching the encore of the game on tv I remembered what inning it was in and sure enough could hear the LETS GO TIGERS chants I was a part of earlier that day. Even the Tigers announcers commented on it.

I can remember when Cleveland fans had that sellout streak going and winning the division Cleveland fans would flock to Detroit.

jeffandnicole

The Philadelphia Phillies and Eagles fans travel real well. A few "travel agencies" developed, mostly dedicated to Eagles road trips, that will buy several hundred tickets (at least) and fans scoop them up, travelling to the away games.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/10/01/eagles-fans-southwest-flight/

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 19, 2022, 07:36:14 PM
Miller Park in Milwaukee during Cubs games is Wrigley North.

When the Brewers were in the AL, County Stadium was Comiskey North when they played the White Sox.  The only real exception I can think of was the "Harvey's Wallbangers" era in the early 1980s.  They had a good local following in that era, and made it to the Series in 1982.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 19, 2022, 04:27:49 PM
Almost every professional sporting event in Phoenix excluding the Suns is mostly pro-road team

In the Cardinals' case, that's true if they're playing an NFC West rival or an NFC North team (Bears, Packers, Vikings, Lions).

Chase Field has this issue (and the Diamondbacks jack up ticket prices accordingly) when the Cubs, Dodgers, or Giants are in town.  The other teams, not so much.

The Coyotes?  They draw more Blackhaws, Red Wings, and Blues fans, but overall, the Coyotes don't have much of a fan base to begin with.  Now that they're out of the hockey fan-challenged west side, that might change.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Road Hog

The Rangers charge premium ticket prices whenever the Yankees and Red Sox come to town for their one series a year.

Cowboys games are road-heavy when a big national draw like the Steelers or Packers visit. Even the NFC East home games have a strong road presence, because Cowboys ticketholders put their seats on the secondary market and make bank.

mgk920

In recent years, many NFL teams started requiring fans who are buying tickets to their home games v. the Green Bay Packers to also buy those seats to a pre-season game because the Packers travel so well, taking over the other teams' home stadia on road games.

mike

jakeroot

I went to a Dolphins game in Miami a few years ago (Dec 9, 2018), and it was mostly Pats fans. Made it a great ending.

skluth

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 19, 2022, 04:48:52 PM
There was a 2006 Bears at Rams game in St. Louis where so many Bears fans showed that the Rams had to use a silent count on offense.

That was fairly normal for the St Louis Rams. I went to a Packers game there where it was almost entirely Packers fans. The next week my boss who was a Steelers fan also experienced that. The Rams weren't very popular except those few Greatest Show on Turf years.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Petco Park is overrun with Dodgers and Giants fans when those teams play the Padres.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Any basketball arena where the host school offers open ticket sales for games when UK is playing there.

Heck, the last few UK football games at Vanderbilt, the UK fans outnumbered the Vandy fans.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2022, 01:15:16 PM
Any basketball arena where the host school offers open ticket sales for games when UK is playing there.

Heck, the last few UK football games at Vanderbilt, the UK fans outnumbered the Vandy fans.

Both Louisville and Kentucky played at ND this past season. There were 2x as many Louisville fans at their game as there were Kentucky fans at theirs.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Road Hog on May 20, 2022, 01:01:07 AM
The Rangers charge premium ticket prices whenever the Yankees and Red Sox come to town for their one series a year.

Cowboys games are road-heavy when a big national draw like the Steelers or Packers visit. Even the NFC East home games have a strong road presence, because Cowboys ticketholders put their seats on the secondary market and make bank.

I have been to Cowboys-Packers and Cowboys-Redski....Commanders at AT&T.  They are both pretty split, but the Packers are better.  It is the same at FedEx for Cowboys-Commanders because, it was explained to me, DC has a lot of Cowboys fans. 

That one year (2007 maybe) that the Longhorns went to the lowly Sun Bowl to play UTEP, the Sun Bowl was rockin with Texas fans.  I was going to make the drive El Paso, but I had to work that weekend.  Thing was, there were no more single tickets left, so you had to buy season tickets, and there were many Longhorn fans out there buying UTEP season tickets just to go to the game Texas was there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.