News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Drum solos

Started by hbelkins, May 20, 2022, 02:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

This is the greatest drum solo in the history of drum solos. There will never be a better drum solo.

I'm not wrong.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

Any drum solo longer than Ringo's on Abbey Road is too long

kphoger

I like the drum solo on Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

However, even as a drummer, I don't care for most drum solos.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

The YouTube video doesn't work for me (it says "video unavailable"). What's the name of the song? I can see it's Rush from the thumbnail and I like them. :)

Takumi

For me, you can't top Jimmy Chamberlin. Here he's performing one of his most iconic, uh, performances, Geek USA.
https://youtu.be/FGQno-9SJuI
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

I mean, I like the drum groove in that song, always have.  But to me, it's a groove, not a solo.

As for my favorite drum parts that aren't solos, I'm partial to Refrigerator Car by the Spin Doctors.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2022, 03:07:07 PM
I like the drum solo on Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

Joe Morello's aptitude with 5/4 time was the whole reason "Take Five" was written. (Apparently he'd been bugging Brubeck to put together a 5/4 piece for a while so he could show off, which lead to the idea of the Time Out album.) Working in 5/4 was difficult enough for everyone else that it took more than 20 takes and two sessions to get the album version.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: skluth on May 20, 2022, 03:02:32 PM
Any drum solo longer than Ringo's on Abbey Road is too long

Then I guess this one isn't up your alley, although it includes Lee Oskar, the harmonica player from War (think Low Rider) and author Ken Kesey.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

adventurernumber1

Cream's "Toad,"  Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick,"  and Black Sabbath's "Rat Salad"  are all classic drum solos from the early rock genre and are all very good.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

Quote from: 7/8 on May 20, 2022, 03:08:53 PM
The YouTube video doesn't work for me (it says "video unavailable"). What's the name of the song? I can see it's Rush from the thumbnail and I like them. :)

It's "Working Man/Finding My Way" from the "All The World's A Stage" album.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I liked the ones when the Allman Brothers were live! Usually the end of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed is when Jamioe and the late Butch Trucks would take turns beating the drums.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

mgk920

'In A Godda Da Vida' by iron Butterfly, the mooooong version that took up an entire vinyl album side.  You can close this thread now.

:nod:

(Oh yea, yes, I loved the simpsons' take on this song too!

Mike

roadman65

I heard Keith Moon hated solos.  There was a concert where Townsend and Entwistle both purposely stopped playing the music on stage to get get Moon unexpectedly to play a solo where he said out out loud " Drum Solos are boring."  

However Moon did somewhat of a solo at the end of Love Reign O'er Me that is one of his greatest playing IMO.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

In the words of one YouTuber, no one wants to hear just drums.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

It's good to hear as bridge between two verses or between a verse and the chorus.

Perfect example would be in The End off the Beatles Abbey Road. Ringo does a small solo between the intro and the main verse.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

Quote from: roadman65 on May 31, 2022, 09:41:50 AM
It's good to hear as bridge between two verses or between a verse and the chorus.

Perfect example would be in The End off the Beatles Abbey Road. Ringo does a small solo between the intro and the main verse.

As I said in the second post in this thread, "Any drum solo longer than Ringo's on Abbey Road is too long."

triplemultiplex

Long drum solos were invented so the rest of the band could rip another line of coke offstage and keep going.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

Quote from: skluth on May 31, 2022, 10:37:21 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 31, 2022, 09:41:50 AM

As I said in the second post in this thread, "Any drum solo longer than Ringo's on Abbey Road is too long."

Well Keith Moon on Love Reign O'er Me is accompanied by Entwistle's bass and Townsend beating his guitar to give the Quadraphinia Rock Opera a Grand Ending.

BTW if I spelled the opera wrong  certain spell checkers, no pun intended. Tired of looking up obvious words.

Sheryl Crowe

7/8

Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2022, 08:00:35 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 20, 2022, 03:08:53 PM

It's "Working Man/Finding My Way" from the "All The World's A Stage" album.

Thanks, just listened to it now, Neil Peart is a beast on the drum kit!

A great one for me is the live version of Indiscipline off Absent Lovers by King Crimson. The song starts with a fantastic drum solo by Bill Bruford (and his drumming is killer throughout the whole song!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.