News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Gas Station Fandom

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 22, 2022, 06:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Also, it really depends on where you are how big of an issue it would be even if the police were called. A couple of months back after I had a minor car accident, and was waiting on someone to come pick me up, I asked the Pottawatomie County sheriff deputy on the scene if it would be all right if I were to go to the bathroom on the side of US-177. He seemed a little surprised that I even felt the need to ask first.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2022, 09:37:19 PM
I'm generally not averse to peeing outside in a rural area (did it all the time as a kid), but I hesitate to do it in an urban area, for fear some busybody would call the cops.
There are plenty of places to urinate in urban areas where no one can see you.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 26, 2022, 10:14:27 AM
I'm generally not averse to peeing outside in a rural area (did it all the time as a kid), but I hesitate to do it in an urban area, for fear some busybody would call the cops.

And it seems like most of them that are used are in Wrigleyville after a game...
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

skluth

Or even where they can see you. The pissoirs of Paris and Amsterdam are practically wherever you happen to be.

Scott5114

Indeed, but I'm always paranoid that I'll look around, make sure that I can't be seen from any direction...and somehow totally miss the direction someone is actually spying on me from.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2022, 08:02:51 PM

Indeed, but I'm always paranoid that I'll look around, make sure that I can't be seen from any direction...and somehow totally miss the direction someone is actually spying on me from.
If I have to go so badly that I need to pee in an alley, then I'm usually done well before anyone could spot me, let alone call the cops or confront me.  Dumpsters provide excellent cover.

kphoger

If they're spying on me, then that's a "them problem", not a "me problem".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SSOWorld

It's a great country, but it's a strange culture. </George Carlin>
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rick Powell

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2022, 12:41:17 PM
We're starting to see more Clark's Pump and Shop locations, but I know nothing about them.

Clark Oil was founded in the Milwaukee area during the Great Depression and their stations were common around the Chicago area during the 60s and 70s. They started disappearing but appear to be making a comeback via franchising.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Brands

TheHighwayMan3561

Happened to me once in HS, and it was one of those Karens who went out of her way to make sure I noticed her angrily glaring at me.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wriddle082

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 28, 2022, 12:25:07 PM
We're starting to see more Clark's Pump and Shop locations, but I know nothing about them.

Clark Oil was founded in the Milwaukee area during the Great Depression and their stations were common around the Chicago area during the 60s and 70s. They started disappearing but appear to be making a comeback via franchising.

It's not the same company at all.  John Clark Oil Co. is a regional gas and diesel distributor based in Ashland, KY, and has long had a stranglehold on fuel prices of most of the gas stations in that area, with the exception of the Flying J in Cannonsburg near I-64 and the Pilot in Grayson near I-64, both of which tend to run a bit cheaper.  Anyway, one of the first Clark Pump N Stops opened in the early 80's and is two blocks from my grandparents' house, and their distribution hub is about a mile away from it.

XamotCGC

When did gas stations start using digital displays for gas prices?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Scott5114

Quote from: XamotCGC on May 28, 2022, 06:48:12 PM
When did gas stations start using digital displays for gas prices?

Around here, the first ones started to appear sometime between 2005-2010.

vdeane

I'm taking Fastrac off my preferred station list.  Scottsville has joined Marketplace in not having windshield washing fluid.  Since I can no longer clean my windshield at Fastrac, they no longer serve my needs, so I think I'll start using the nice Mobil station at Winton/Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Road (formerly Speedway) until Byrne Dairy has some more locations in the Rochester area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 28, 2022, 02:10:43 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on May 28, 2022, 12:25:07 PM

It's not the same company at all.  John Clark Oil Co. is a regional gas and diesel distributor based in Ashland, KY, and has long had a stranglehold on fuel prices of most of the gas stations in that area, with the exception of the Flying J in Cannonsburg near I-64 and the Pilot in Grayson near I-64, both of which tend to run a bit cheaper.  Anyway, one of the first Clark Pump N Stops opened in the early 80's and is two blocks from my grandparents' house, and their distribution hub is about a mile away from it.

Even moreso than SuperAmerica/Speedway?

Given that KY 7 is my route of choice to reach I-64 if I'm going somewhere that involves traveling through the Huntington area, I'm grateful for that Pilot in Grayson. They keep gas prices in check there. I'll often gas up there if heading north or northeast, and stop at the Speedway across the road on my way home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on May 28, 2022, 08:59:46 PM
I'm taking Fastrac off my preferred station list.  Scottsville has joined Marketplace in not having windshield washing fluid.  Since I can no longer clean my windshield at Fastrac, they no longer serve my needs, so I think I'll start using the nice Mobil station at Winton/Brighton-Henrietta Town Line Road (formerly Speedway) until Byrne Dairy has some more locations in the Rochester area.

Yep.  No washer fluid, no bathrooms, no sale.

hbelkins

I was finally able to pay a visit to the new Kentucky Buc-ee's today. It was only four miles or so off one of the alternative routes between here and Lexington.

Gas was 20 to 30 cents cheaper than the other gas stations in the Richmond area. It was $4.499 there, while it was between $4.699 and $4.799 everywhere else. A message at the pump indicated that ethanol-free gas is available at some of the pumps. The price was posted inside the store and it's above $5.

How would I describe the store itself? A hybrid of Cracker Barrel, Hobby Lobby, Cabela's, Lowe's, and a standard convenience store. Half the store seemed to be souvenir and home decorative stuff, with some outdoors supplies thrown in. There were grills, smokers, deep fryers, coolers, all sorts of things. They even had bags of deer corn for sale.

There was a touch screen system for ordering burritos, hot dogs, and that type of thing, and a display case/serving station for pastries (I didn't get a sausage kolache today), and the meat sandwiches are prepared and wrapped in the center of the store and kept under heat lamps.

The place was jam-packed. Too many people for my tastes. The gas pumps were very busy. I'm not sure if the proximity to the interstate as the only gas station at that exit was the draw, or the low price (I didn't see any indication of the pump price until I got to the pump.)

It's also pricey. $7.99 for the brisket sandwich, which was tasty, but overpriced for what you get. You can get twice as much meat at Arby's for less money. Jerky was $7.99 for a small bag and twice that for a large bag. (Walmart is cheaper).

Bottom line? I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. It's a novelty, for sure. "Everything's bigger in Texas." The price of gas is worth driving four miles south of the Richmond bypass if you need more than just a splash, but I don't plan on being a frequent customer. Once the newness wears off and the crowds thin out, I may go back, but I won't be making special trips or extra efforts to patronize Buc-ee's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Royal Farms finally opened up a couple weeks ago here. Looked decent, but wasn't as busy as the Sheetz on the other side of 95. Still not fully stocked, had no beer at all.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Hunty2022

Sheetz south of Ruckersville is apparently closed now. A few months ago, I read that there would be a new drive thru there.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.