News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Radio Personalities from your hometown area in other markets

Started by roadman65, May 29, 2022, 07:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I recently drove through Mobile and Pensacola and was listening to a classic rock station there when a DJ mentioned his name. It was a former WNEW in New York City talent I remembered from the eighties. Ken Dashow ( know as the Dasher in New York) was on the PM drive slot as I heard the station for two days spending time in both cities.

There is no other station using its frequency for miles either so from Gulfport, MS to like De Funiak Springs, FL the classic rock will play uninterrupted for your journey on I-10, so I got to listen to him quite some time.

Any other familiar voices you discovered while driving in a foreign state?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

There was a Haynes Johns that worked at WXLC in Waukegan several years ago. There used to be a Haynes Johns that worked at then-WSLI-FM here in Jackson, MS in the 80s. I wonder if that is the same guy.

zzcarp

A northeast Ohio native and former announcer for the Cleveland Indians, Jack Corrigan, moved to Denver in the early 2000s and is now the main play-by-play guy for the Rockies. I rediscovered him when I moved to Colorado in 2006.
So many miles and so many roads

dlsterner

When I was a student in Florida (late 1970s) I used to listen to a radio station WAPE-AM in Jacksonville.  At the time they had a radio personality who used the pseudonym "The Greaseman".  Fast forward a few years into the mid 1980s when I moved to Maryland and started listening to WWDC-FM in Washington.  Lo and behold, "The Greaseman" had relocated there and was working at that station (and continued to do so until 1999 or so).

Rothman

Quote from: dlsterner on July 22, 2022, 05:42:52 PM
When I was a student in Florida (late 1970s) I used to listen to a radio station WAPE-AM in Jacksonville.  At the time they had a radio personality who used the pseudonym "The Greaseman".  Fast forward a few years into the mid 1980s when I moved to Maryland and started listening to WWDC-FM in Washington.  Lo and behold, "The Greaseman" had relocated there and was working at that station (and continued to do so until 1999 or so).
When I lived in DC, he got in a huge amount of trouble for making a racist joke -- he played a song by Lauryn Hill and then quipped "No wonder they get dragged behind trucks."  Had to go on an apology tour and then still got fired and ended up having to work for some dinky station somewhere.

It was really sad.  Right when I moved there, he was building his audience and was a great storyteller and could riff off of calls coming in.  I think Howard Stern influenced him and he pushed the raunch and controversy further and further (I stopped listening to him) until he blew it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dlsterner

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2022, 07:03:18 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 22, 2022, 05:42:52 PM
When I lived in DC, he got in a huge amount of trouble for making a racist joke -- he played a song by Lauryn Hill and then quipped "No wonder they get dragged behind trucks."  Had to go on an apology tour and then still got fired and ended up having to work for some dinky station somewhere.

It was really sad.  Right when I moved there, he was building his audience and was a great storyteller and could riff off of calls coming in.  I think Howard Stern influenced him and he pushed the raunch and controversy further and further (I stopped listening to him) until he blew it.
That was his second bout of trouble - previously around MLK Day he made a quip (don't remember the exact words) along the lines of "Shoot four more and take the whole week off".  Interestingly, he replaced Howard Stern at WWDC after Howard was fired for calling Air Florida and trying to book a flight from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge (this was just after the crash).  From what I've gathered the two don't care for each other.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.