News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Odd cultural/regional/national customs

Started by hbelkins, June 01, 2022, 03:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Inspired by the #swedengate hashtag trending on Twitter over the weekend.

According to a Reddit post that went viral there and then on Twitter with the above-mentioned hashtag, it's a custom in Sweden that if you are a child who is invited over to a friend's house, you don't get to eat with the family. They will make you stay in your host friend's bedroom and entertain yourself while the family eats.

Also according to posts using that hashtag, if you are an adult and you are invited to eat at a friend's home, you will be asked to pay for your portion of the meal.

This invited a number of comparisons to other regions and cultures, notably rural/southern United States where not only will you be served a meal if you're visiting, you may be sent home with a plate of leftovers.

Anyone here with firsthand knowledge of this alleged Swedish/Nordic custom? Or any other odd and unusual customs?

Removing shoes in someone's house is one I've heard of often.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2022, 03:10:46 PM
Also according to posts using that hashtag, if you are an adult and you are invited to eat at a friend's home, you will be asked to pay for your portion of the meal.

Among younger people in the US I don't think this is terribly uncommon. I was briefly part of a game night group where the hosts asked for a small contribution for cooking. I also have a couple friends I visit, we'll cook at their house, and at the grocery store we'll split the costs for the ingredients - it's not 50/50 nor do we make that much of an effort for a 50/50 split; or if they pay in full for one meal I'll pay for the next one.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

We took and take off our shoes.  Rare to come across a house where you don't in the Northeast (just ask the host if you need to).

I've come to associate Utah with filthy carpets...but my sample there is more than a little biased.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I think it's a little strange my wife insists that I hug every one of her family members when we are leaving her Dad's house.  I'm to understand from her this is just expectation in Hispanic households. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 01, 2022, 05:55:33 PM
I think it's a little strange my wife insists that I hug every one of her family members when we are leaving her Dad's house.  I'm to understand from her this is just expectation in Hispanic households.
Ha!  Just went through a similar awkwardness with my wife's family (non-Hispanic).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

And do you air-kiss the females' cheeks?

I went several years thinking I was supposed to plant one on their cheeks.  Oops.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 01, 2022, 05:59:40 PM

And do you air-kiss the females' cheeks?

I went several years thinking I was supposed to plant one on their cheeks.  Oops.

A couple of her older female family members still do that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.