News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best estimated range in your car

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 04, 2022, 12:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I noticed today after I filled up my Impreza (13.2 gallon tank) that the projected range was 500 miles exactly.  This happened to be the best projected range I've gotten on the Impreza as the previous high was 480 miles.  On the last tank of gas I averaged 34.5 miles per gallon.

My personal best for projected range on any car I've owned was my 2011 Ford Fiesta (12 gallon tank).  After a copious amount of downhill driving coupled with 65 MPH traffic light free highway in rural Arizona I averaged a best tank of 47.1 MPG.  This led to a projected range of of 584 miles upon filling up the tank.   

ClassicHasClass

I'm 500 something right now in my 2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan, but it's because almost all of my driving is now long (commute from hell) and I'm never less than 40mpg when I fill up. Which is good because this car wants 91.

1995hoo

My wife's 2015 Acura TLX has shown an estimated range of over 600 miles when we've filled the tank after a run of all-Interstate driving, although I don't remember the exact highest figure. That's a decent figure for a 3.5-litre V-6.

The farthest we've gone on a tank was 534 miles (Pembroke Pines, Florida, to somewhere in South Carolina, I think Walterboro). Invariably something happens to reduce the estimated range (in that case, it was a delay due to a wreck on the highway near Jacksonville, followed by intense rain that slowed us down).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JREwing78

I have a 2018 Grand Cherokee with the V6. With a 24.6 gallon fuel tank and highway mileage between 20 to 27 mpg (depending on conditions), my highway range varies between 500 and 650 miles.

Interestingly enough, that's roughly the range my 2012 Accord got with a 18 gallon tank, but getting 28 to 36 mpg.

Mileage varies a lot thanks to Midwest temperature swings and winds, as well as my tolerance for driving the speed limit. Amazing how $5 gas increases that tolerance considerably.

tman

My '12 Camry (the 4cyl non-hybrid) tends to give a cruising range of 475-500 miles upon filling up, though I have seen it read as high as 515-520 miles after multiple highway tanks back to back. Its lifetime average is over 31mpg over the 70,000 miles or so I've had it. Toyota's system is different than the GMs I've driven in that the number you pull away from the station with is the highest you'll see until you fill up again (the number can only increase when adding fuel), whereas the GMs I'm familiar with will increase the distance to empty figure when driving if the average mpg for its recent memory is climbing. (I.E., if you drove primarily around town (300 mile tanks), and stopped for gas as you were leaving for a highway trip, you'd see a figure of 300 miles when leaving the gas station, and this number would steadily climb as you started driving on the highway, up to, say, 450 miles, then it'd start to drop from there.) The GMs also seem to have a shorter window of reference (maybe 50 miles) compared to our Toyotas which seem to have a long time horizon they use to calculate the distance to empty (hundreds of miles).

In real-world travel, that Camry has done 556.9 miles on one tank - I just hit 0 miles to empty as I stopped for gas, but still had a reserve of over two gallons left in the tank, as I only filled 14.6 gallons or so out of its 17 gallon tank (very conservative fuel light/distance to empty on our Toyotas). That was primarily highway driving with a few stops; speeds were in the 67-77mph range for most of the trip. I could've easily hit 600 miles on that tank, but didn't want to push it as it was late.

formulanone

350 miles on the Scion and about the same on the Mazda 5.

The first one has a tiny tank (11 gallons) which used to be an annoyance for long trips, but now makes the fuel stops seem less expensive, but getting 28-36mpg is fine. The second one has a bigger tank, gets 24-28mpg, but the warning light goes on a lot sooner (with about 3 gallons remaining).

Bruce

365 miles in my decade-old Hyundai Santa Fe. It's not fuel efficient but also not terrible.

Road Hog

I've gotten as much as 420 miles on a tank. Depends on the grade of fuel as much as the type of driving.

chrisdiaz

I drive a 2009 Nissan Altima. It has a 20 gallon tank, so the range figure sometimes gets into the high 500 range. Personally, I can't recall ever getting more than around 500 miles from a tank of gas. Normally I fill up every 400 miles or so.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: chrisdiaz on June 06, 2022, 10:03:18 PM
I drive a 2009 Nissan Altima. It has a 20 gallon tank, so the range figure sometimes gets into the high 500 range. Personally, I can't recall ever getting more than around 500 miles from a tank of gas. Normally I fill up every 400 miles or so.

I forget what year the model was I but I do recall a rental Altima displaying a plus 600 mile range.  That large gas tank was so convenient on road trips.

1995hoo

I think the longest range I've seen displayed in my 2004 TL was 468 miles. The farthest I've ever gone on one tank in that car is 455.2 miles coming back from Maine in 2008, and I had a gallon or two left when we stopped for gas at the last exit on westbound I-78.

ET21

Mine would probably be between 450-500 miles on a 15 gallon tank. The only long drives I can pull "estimated" totals from are my two trips to LaCrosse WI and the Twin Cities over the past 7 years. We are heading back to both locations over the course of a month this fall, so I'll be able to really test this
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 07:39:25 AM
I think the longest range I've seen displayed in my 2004 TL was 468 miles. The farthest I've ever gone on one tank in that car is 455.2 miles coming back from Maine in 2008, and I had a gallon or two left when we stopped for gas at the last exit on westbound I-78.

My TL is a generation newer, and I have to really feather the throttle to get it into the 400 mile range. Tells you how much the AWD system impedes the fuel mileage on it, as the base models of that generation without it are basically the previous generation's Type S drivetrain and get noticeably better mileage. (I thought the trade off was worth it, since the car is amazing to drive in any situation.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

My little Golf TDI has a theoretical range of over 600 miles from its 13.2 gallon tank. But because most stations are not on a freeway, and the range is simply a reflection of the present average, it's usually in the mid-to-low-500s for actual range on my center screen.

Flint1979

I have a 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid and today I filled it up and it read 628 miles. I'm pretty good at pacing it to stop and go and staying at the speed limit and keeping my tires properly inflated.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 07, 2022, 06:22:46 PM
I have a 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid and today I filled it up and it read 628 miles. I'm pretty good at pacing it to stop and go and staying at the speed limit and keeping my tires properly inflated.

The speed limit? In Michigan? What's that? :-P

Ted$8roadFan

I've had a maximum of 440 miles in my 2020 Honda CR-V, mostly in the summer with lots of highway travel.

MATraveler128

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback which has a maximum range of 321 miles.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on June 07, 2022, 07:32:40 PM

Whatever the speed limit sign says seriously with $5 a gallon plus for gas I don't see the point in speeding anymore.

Flint1979

I just topped it off again at the Costco in Midland, Michigan. I have 632 miles on my range.

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 08, 2022, 12:57:34 PM

Whatever the speed limit sign says seriously with $5 a gallon plus for gas I don't see the point in speeding anymore.

I will still go over the speed limit when it suits me. In particular, if the speed limit is 55, I try to keep it to around 65 because I get better fuel economy at 65 due to being able to use sixth gear at lower RPM (at 55, I'm in fifth gear and it's revving a bit higher).

With that said, when we were in Florida a few weeks ago we weren't in any real hurry most of the time and I enjoy our low insurance rates, so I was quite happy just to set the cruise control at 70, stay in the right lane, and watch the angst exhibited by people who think tailgating will make a difference.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 08, 2022, 01:42:13 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 08, 2022, 12:57:34 PM

I will still go over the speed limit when it suits me. In particular, if the speed limit is 55, I try to keep it to around 65 because I get better fuel economy at 65 due to being able to use sixth gear at lower RPM (at 55, I'm in fifth gear and it's revving a bit higher).

With that said, when we were in Florida a few weeks ago we weren't in any real hurry most of the time and I enjoy our low insurance rates, so I was quite happy just to set the cruise control at 70, stay in the right lane, and watch the angst exhibited by people who think tailgating will make a difference.
I never understand tailgating because all it does is clutters the traffic up. I honestly feel that I'm going to get somewhere just as fast going the speed limit as I would speeding due to the fact that I would have to stop at more red lights if I'm speeding.

Flint1979

A few weeks ago I was on I-75 and I was in the right lane doing 70 miles an hour this was on the eight lane stretch between Flint and Saginaw. A car with a Texas license plate blew past me doing about 90 or so. I just stayed at doing 70 in the right lane I come up past the Bridgeport exit to see him pulled over by a Michigan State trooper.

wxfree

I once had a small car with a 15 gallon tank that got 40 mpg, making for a range of 600 miles.  It was great on road trips.  There's a 400 mile drive I do regularly, and I could easily do it without stopping and get to the other side with over a quarter of a tank left.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Road Hog

Ever since covid hit, my gas mileage has sucked because I work from home and rarely drive outside of town. Gotta get gas soon and that $5 per gallon is going to be bloody tough.

Gas in Germany in 1989 worked out to $1.80 per gallon converting liters and DMs. What a freaking bargain today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.