News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This way/that way ( <===> ) sign that goes a little further

Started by txstateends, August 10, 2012, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

Forgive my description, but I didn't peruse the MUTCD to find the official name of the sign....

Anyway, one of these is in Carrollton, TX, and is, well, a little MORE than necessary::::

This is BY FAR, the stretchiest version of this type of sign I've ever seen.

Oh, and for the unbelievers (or at least those that think 'photoshop'): http://goo.gl/maps/1uevA
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

6a

Brian556

QuoteAnyway, one of these is in Carrollton, TX, and is, well, a little MORE than necessary::::

I noticed that one.

codyg1985

Maybe people were running through the sign too much??
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

xcellntbuy

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 11, 2012, 10:24:11 AM
Maybe people were running through the sign too much??
That is what I would assume.  It could be one of those intersections that has some sort of optical illusion, mirage or sameness that would cause someone not to pay attention.  Instead of a series of red or yellow diamonds with reflectors, a large two-way traffic sign was used.

Road Hog

Quote from: Brian556 on August 11, 2012, 09:49:30 AM
QuoteAnyway, one of these is in Carrollton, TX, and is, well, a little MORE than necessary::::

I noticed that one.

Hard not to.  :-D

Anyway, Belt Line in Carrollton is not state-maintained, so that's a city special.

Brian556

QuoteAnyway, Belt Line in Carrollton is not state-maintained, so that's a city special.

I'm thinkin' that sign was installed by a contractor.

exit322

Brian556

This one was installed by a TxDOT contractor at the end of the odd exit ramp for Lake Dallas. Small enough?

Road Hog

Ha! I love the normal-size guide sign, the tiny arrow sign, and the uber-large interstate sign. Talk about contrasts.

PurdueBill

Quote from: exit322 on August 12, 2012, 12:24:16 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on August 11, 2012, 02:39:14 PM
Akron, Ohio has been known to balance that out by using the equivalent in a way-too-short version.

I think that's a university job given the road going left from that intersection is no longer technically open.

City ownership of Carroll St. continues a little ways eastbound at least past Buckeye St, and the road going left is very much open--it leads to a couple thousand parking spaces in two decks, the turnaround outside the student center, truck loading docks for the student center, etc...it's definitely still city jurisdiction and up close you could see the AKTE logo on the sign.  (It's in light lettering inside the black border--not going to be visible in any street view.

vtk

Quote from: Brian556 on August 12, 2012, 01:44:16 AM
This one was installed by a TxDOT contractor at the end of the odd exit ramp for Lake Dallas. Small enough?

That reminds me of a sucker that's been licked almost all the way down to the stick.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on August 13, 2012, 06:44:03 PM

That reminds me of a sucker that's been licked almost all the way down to the stick.

that sounds like what happens when one of PT Barnum's characters is all out of money.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I lol'ed.

Ian

Must have been left in the dryer too long...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Central Avenue

I love how it's roughly the same size as the arrow plaque below the I-35E shield.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.