Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

<< < (377/378) > >>

1995hoo:
You’re correct about VRE—it is a peak-direction service and it also runs only on weekdays (but not federal holidays).

davewiecking:
Currently, yes. Increasing VRE service is the main reason for the additional train bridge over the Potomac, and also the extra track about to be added along this corridor.

davewiecking:
And speaking of the HOT lanes, I was looking at the NEXT plans, and noticed that this project does not include the GW Pkwy interchange, but does subsume the southbound CD lanes connecting these ramps and the Georgetown Pike (VA-193) interchange. This makes sense, because there’s no telling what or when MD will do something with the ALMB over the Potomac. Transurban started removing half of the VA-193 bridge last week.

mrsman:

--- Quote from: davewiecking on August 01, 2022, 08:24:25 AM ---And speaking of the HOT lanes, I was looking at the NEXT plans, and noticed that this project does not include the GW Pkwy interchange, but does subsume the southbound CD lanes connecting these ramps and the Georgetown Pike (VA-193) interchange. This makes sense, because there’s no telling what or when MD will do something with the ALMB over the Potomac. Transurban started removing half of the VA-193 bridge last week.

--- End quote ---

VA is moving ahead and MD is falling behind.  The new MD governonr to be elected this coming November could dicatate a lot of transport policy.  If the Democrat wins, I don't expect any HOT lane expansion into MD, even between 270/495 and the bridge.

There is probably no appetite for the massive land takings necessary for HOT lanes to extend along 495 to College Park, but most of the land necessary to expand lanes from the bridge to 270/Shady Grove is within the existing highway right of way.  It just needs some political will.  Especially given that other bridges over the Potomac are not happening, so the only relief would be HOT lanes on the bridge.

1995hoo:
On the 11:00 news last night, Channel 4 reported that the I-395 HO/T lane ramp on the south side of the Seminary Road interchange (the high-level ramp constructed a few years ago), which is now restricted to HOV-3 traffic only at all times, will open to all traffic after Labor Day. They said non-HOV traffic will pay a toll. It wasn't clear from the report whether the toll will be a separate toll for that particular ramp or whether the ramp will just get the standard HO/T rules applicable to the rest of the reversible roadway. Either way, it makes eminent sense to make that change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version