News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California trip suggestions

Started by texaskdog, November 01, 2012, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Going on our honeymoon in September.  Erica wants to go to San Francisco.  I know it's about 14 hours per day over 2 days (from Austin TX) through either Tucson or Gallup, NM.  Any suggestions on things to not miss along the way? 

Also what is the best way to avoid LA traffic (I know, avoid LA) yet see most of the best parts of the coast?  We'll likely head through on a Monday.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: texaskdog on November 01, 2012, 10:24:31 AM
Also what is the best way to avoid LA traffic (I know, avoid LA) yet see most of the best parts of the coast?  We'll likely head through on a Monday.

Traffic on the L.A. freeway network is nearly always heavy.  If you are driving from Texas, you might stop someplace along the way east of Los Angeles, and then depart either very early (as before 4 A.M.) or mid-day (after, say, 10 A.M.).

KNX 1070 AM (CBS, all news)  has "traffic and weather together on the 5's" 24/7. 

One attraction off of I-10 near Palm Springs, Calif. is the Joshua Tree National Park.  It's am amazingly beautiful desert park, with plenty of yes, joshua trees.  There is a cross-park road that has direct access from I-10 Exit 168.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on November 01, 2012, 10:24:31 AM
Going on our honeymoon in September.  Erica wants to go to San Francisco.  I know it's about 14 hours per day over 2 days (from Austin TX) through either Tucson or Gallup, NM.  Any suggestions on things to not miss along the way? 

10-210-5-126 is usually a good bypass of most of the slog that gets you to the beach fairly quickly.  if you're coming in on 40 from Gallup, consider 40-58-33, also to Ventura.  33 is a bit winding of a mountain road but is well worth it for the scenery.  if you don't want to do 33, continue on 58 to Santa Margarita, and then take 101 to San Luis Obispo and get on 1 from there.

the most worthwhile section of 1 south of San Francisco is between Cambria (last gas for 75 miles!) and Carmel.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

We have no desire to actually go to LA but would like to drive the coast.  The northern route heads through Bakersfield but we just want the best combination of seeing as much of the road as we can yet missing the traffic.  Thanks for your ideas, I like to plan early. 

Also want to hit Redwoods, Yosemite, and Sequioa...before angling back to Zion & Grand Canyon.

kkt

I'll second I-40 to CA-58, then south on CA-33.  That avoids LA completely and hits the coast at Ventura so you get most of the pretty, rural part of the coast.  There's also several ways to loop around the east and south sides of Bakersfield if you want to avoid the city.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kkt on November 01, 2012, 06:46:46 PM
I'll second I-40 to CA-58, then south on CA-33.  That avoids LA completely and hits the coast at Ventura so you get most of the pretty, rural part of the coast.  There's also several ways to loop around the east and south sides of Bakersfield if you want to avoid the city.

58 to Bear Mountain Road (CA-223) to Old River Road to Maricopa Hwy (CA-166) to 33 is the one I'd recommend - if you dare make that left turn off the 58 expressway.  it's kind of insane.

jake@aaroads.com

Interstatefan78

Another better way to avoid LA traffic is to use 40-15-58-5-46-101 this routing will avoid using the West Side Freeway from Lost Hills up to Vernalis since this stretch of I-5 North completely has farms lining up the highway, but US-101 from Paso Robles all the way to San Francisco sees some farm lands and a forest near prundale, but urban scenery from San Jose to San Francisco. CA-46 in Paso Robles has some vineyards lining Rte 46 west and east

Alps

Take state routes, county routes, or old 66 (unnumbered in places) through AZ and NM. You can actually go faster on those than the Interstates, and definitely the US highways. No police. (I went mumblety-five MPH on NM 9, for example.) Also, you get more scenery that way.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on November 01, 2012, 09:02:36 PM
Take state routes, county routes, or old 66 (unnumbered in places) through AZ and NM. You can actually go faster on those than the Interstates, and definitely the US highways. No police. (I went mumblety-five MPH on NM 9, for example.) Also, you get more scenery that way.

you need to know where you can do that.  I once got pulled over on an old, unnumbered 66 alignment.  talked my way out of the ticket when I (completely honestly) pointed out that the reason I'd been doing 71 in a 55 is because I had just finished passing someone on a two-lane road.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 01, 2012, 09:37:47 PM
Quote from: Steve on November 01, 2012, 09:02:36 PM

you need to know where you can do that.  I once got pulled over on an old, unnumbered 66 alignment.  talked my way out of the ticket when I (completely honestly) pointed out that the reason I'd been doing 71 in a 55 is because I had just finished passing someone on a two-lane road.
Whaaaaaaaat. I saw next to no one on any 66 alignment that wasn't within a tourist trap.

texaskdog

I'll need to dig out a California map.  About 75% sure we'll be coming from Tucson.  From everything I read we need to hit the beach by San Luis Obispo.  :)

mapman

Quote from: texaskdog on November 05, 2012, 01:42:57 PM
I'll need to dig out a California map.  About 75% sure we'll be coming from Tucson.  From everything I read we need to hit the beach by San Luis Obispo.  :)

Then you may want to use either 46 or 58 to get to the coast -- both meet US 101 in San Luis Obispo County (albeit the northern end of the county).  The beach areas in San Luis Obispo County are either just south of the city of San Luis Obispo (Avila Beach, Pismo Beach, etc. via US 101) or to the west (Morro Bay and Cambria via 1, 41 or 46).

Note that 58 is a much slower and windier drive between I-5 and US 101, compared to 46, which is more direct but has a lot of truck traffic.

texaskdog

Quote from: mapman on November 06, 2012, 02:09:33 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on November 05, 2012, 01:42:57 PM

Then you may want to use either 46 or 58 to get to the coast -- both meet US 101 in San Luis Obispo County (albeit the northern end of the county).  The beach areas in San Luis Obispo County are either just south of the city of San Luis Obispo (Avila Beach, Pismo Beach, etc. via US 101) or to the west (Morro Bay and Cambria via 1, 41 or 46).

Note that 58 is a much slower and windier drive between I-5 and US 101, compared to 46, which is more direct but has a lot of truck traffic.

Good stuff to know!!!!!  We have a long drive that day, won't be much of a "scenery day".  Erica is really excited about the idea of climbing Half-Dome in Yosemite.

citrus

Quote from: texaskdog on November 06, 2012, 08:17:59 AM
Good stuff to know!!!!!  We have a long drive that day, won't be much of a "scenery day".  Erica is really excited about the idea of climbing Half-Dome in Yosemite.

Just a heads up on that - check the Yosemite website about how to get permits for Half Dome. (They used to let anyone go up there, but now they limit it so it doesn't get too crowded.) It's totally worth it.

texaskdog

Quote from: citrus on November 06, 2012, 11:02:42 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on November 06, 2012, 08:17:59 AM

Just a heads up on that - check the Yosemite website about how to get permits for Half Dome. (They used to let anyone go up there, but now they limit it so it doesn't get too crowded.) It's totally worth it.

Thanks...and we'll see if I can do a 14 mile hike...topped out at 7 miles so far on a flat hike.   :)

kkt

Have you done climbing before?  The cable is secure, but it's a very exposed route.  People have been known to get panicky and freeze.  It's also very slippery if it's rainy, if that's the case it's better to come back a different day.  There are also many trails that lead to great views from the top of the valley.

texaskdog

Quote from: kkt on November 06, 2012, 02:19:19 PM
Have you done climbing before?  The cable is secure, but it's a very exposed route.  People have been known to get panicky and freeze.  It's also very slippery if it's rainy, if that's the case it's better to come back a different day.  There are also many trails that lead to great views from the top of the valley.

Erica went up Angel's Landing at Zion.  I didn't make it all the way to the top.  To me it looks safer as if you let go at Angel's, you fall off.  But that is a much shorter trail.

kkt

Quote from: texaskdog on November 06, 2012, 03:27:20 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 06, 2012, 02:19:19 PM

Erica went up Angel's Landing at Zion.  I didn't make it all the way to the top.  To me it looks safer as if you let go at Angel's, you fall off.  But that is a much shorter trail.

The last section up Half Dome is about 50 degrees on slippery rock.  That's where the cables are.  If you let go, you fall.  I guess some people clip in, but most don't.  If you haven't already, read http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/half-dome/cables-tips.htm and http://www.summitpost.org/the-cables/157874

Not saying you shouldn't do it, just know what to expect.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.