News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Help Corco plan Labor Day '09 Road Trip

Started by corco, April 27, 2009, 06:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

So, I' m planning on taking a trip Labor Day 09, and I need some route suggestions.

Here are the parameters:

The first day (Saturday), I will be taking US 20 across Nebraska and Iowa and spending the night in Dubuque.

Now, that leaves me with two days to get home. Here's what I want:

1. Avoid interstates and divided highways as much as possible (ideally I would never travel on an interstate, divided highways are impossible to avoid altogether)(also, once I get to Colorado or the Nebraska panhandle I'm fine with interstates because I can see that stuff anytime)
2. Stay within the states of Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, and Illinois (any, some, or all)
3. Switch routes as little as possible, allowing me clinch some stuff at least within a state
4. Roughly follow the Mississippi River from Dubuque south to wherever I head west
5. The westerly path must be mostly south of US 34
6. Maximum 800 miles on Sunday, 950 on Monday

Your hypothetical routes are appreciated  :D

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

corco

Not at all, but for a trip like this I really want to see the scenic parts of Iowa/Missouri/Kansas/Nebraska, which you just don't see on the freeways. My objective for this trip is to see cool things, and if I'm just driving out there for the heck of it I'd rather avoid the freeways so I can actually pass through and see some small towns.

SSOWorld

oh.

I've found scenery in both - but yeah the small towns aren't there.  I've limited scenic travel to around the home base for now.  anyway....

try this one (though 14 hours is too long for me to drive on one day)
http://tinyurl.com/c7uhoh
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

corco

Quoteoh.

I've found scenery in both - but yeah the small towns aren't there.  I've limited scenic travel to around the home base for now.  anyway....

try this one (though 14 hours is too long for me to drive on one day)
http://tinyurl.com/c7uhoh

I do like that. I should mention that once I get to Colorado I'm fine with interstates because I can see all t hat anytime, and once you take that Estes Park hook out it's not so bad at all  :-D

QuoteReally...?
What?

This is what I've come up with, http://tinyurl.com/dbw7hr, (following US 61 instead of the interstates where they are close togehter) but I do like what you do through Kansas and Nebraska better, and how yours avoids the cities altogether

yanksfan6129

^ If you go farther north in Kansas, then you can check out Mt. Sunflower-a state highpoint that isn't really a mountain.

corco

Quote^ If you go farther north in Kansas, then you can check out Mt. Sunflower-a state highpoint that isn't really a mountain.

That's a good point. If I abandoned the route-clinching notion I could take Masterson's route to Minden, Nebr. and visit Pioneer Village (which I've always wanted to check out), then take US 281 south back to Lebanon, see the geographic center of the lower 48, and then head down to US 40 and head west all the way to Denver, stopping at Mt. Sunflower. That wouldn't be too hard to do and would be pretty fun

I do like the idea of taking Missouri 32 across Missouri though, because the squiggliness of the line indicates it's probably a pretty fun drive...if I could figure out how to work both in that would be ideal. Maybe I leave Friday, spend the night in central Nebraska on US 20, and then don't stop in Dubuque...but I did want to stop in Dubuque, so we'll see.

Chris

Quote6. Maximum 800 miles on Sunday, 950 on Monday

Wow, that's a lot on one day considering you're not taking freeways. I can't imagine driving to Barcelona in one day not using freeways  :-o

Voyager

Yeah no freeways? There's really not that much in Nebraska. :crazy:

corco

QuoteWow, that's a lot on one day considering you're not taking freeways. I can't imagine driving to Barcelona in one day not using freeways 
I'm super good at driving long distances. I pulled 1,500 miles by myself in one day once. The trick is nicotine. Throw a giant wad of chew in your mouth when you get tired and you won't ever fall asleep. Also, the speed limits on the 2-lanes in Kansas and Nebraska are mostly 65 (and on US-20 in Iowa), so it's not like avoiding the freeways costs that much extra time.

QuoteYeah no freeways? There's really not that much in Nebraska.

Someone from California would say that. I would argue strongly that Nebraska/Iowa/Kansas/Missouri are some of the most beautiful and interesting states in the country, you just have to know where to look to find the beauty. It's more of an understated beauty though, not like Mt. Shasta. Frankly, when I'm done with school I want to move to somewhere in that four state region.

Voyager

corco

QuoteConsidering you'd be, at best, averaging about 50 MPH on your goal of 2-lane roads (at least east of the Missouri River, and quite likely less if you stop to look at stuff), I think your 800/950 mile days are too ambitious.

That said, taking US 136 across northern Missouri on the return trip is an option for you.  You'd make better time along US 36, but it'll also take you the better part of an hour to get down to Hannibal from Keokuk....

Yeah, I'm sort of realizing that. I've decided, I think, that I'm planning on taking a route that looks something like http://tinyurl.com/d8o4mk , leaving midday Friday, spending the night in central Nebraska, and then swapping Dubuque for Hannibal. That's fine I guess, because I've been to Dubuque, but never Hannibal. That's a lot more manageable of a mileload-there will still be 12 hours of daylight at Labor Day, so I should be able to never have to drive in the dark except on the final day, which is fine because that's close to home.

Chris

At 30 miles per gallon, this route will cost you approximatly:  2558 miles / 30 mpg = 85 gallon * $2 per gallon = $ 170 in the US, but approximatly 2558 miles / 30 mpg = 85 gallon * $ 6.5 per gallon = $ 552,50 in Europe  :-o

corco

I think I've finally figured out the trip- and it's something significantly different and will take an extra day. I'm going to go this route

http://tinyurl.com/laborday2009roadtrip

clinching US 54. I'll sleep in Ainsworth Nebr., Monmouth Ill., Wichita Kan., and Alamogordo N.M.

If anybody has any cool suggestions regarding the route (or things to see/places to eat on the way!), let me know

Chris

Alps

Quote from: Chris on June 16, 2009, 11:47:25 AM
In five days? Quite a trip  :clap:
I plan to drive about 800 miles to Indy in one day... making it there in time for dinner...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.