Solo Drivers In Carpool Lanes? Lawmaker Wants Freeway Reform

Started by cpzilliacus, February 20, 2013, 01:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

KNX 1070: Solo Drivers In Carpool Lanes? Lawmaker Wants Freeway Reform

QuoteCommuters who have long suffered from carpool lane envy could soon find some relief if one San Fernando Valley lawmaker has his way.

QuoteAssemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Burbank) has introduced Assembly Bill 405, a measure that will create a pilot program of sorts to ease such traffic congestion by permitting single-occupancy vehicles to access the high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes — also known as carpool lanes — on the 134 Freeway during non-peak hours.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

time-selective carpool lanes are common in other areas than SoCal.  NorCal, for example, has occupancy-based restrictions only during weekday rush hours.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 20, 2013, 01:19:33 PM
time-selective carpool lanes are common in other areas than SoCal.  NorCal, for example, has occupancy-based restrictions only during weekday rush hours.

Nearly all of the HOV lanes in Metropolitan Washington, D.C. are part-time.

Only  exception is U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) in Prince  George's County, Maryland.  The HOV lanes there are Southern California-style, HOV-2 24/7.

And the HOV/Toll lanes on I-495 in Fairfax County, Virginia accept HOV-3 vehicles for free at all times (with an E-ZPass Flex transponder).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SignBridge

Our infamous Long Island Expwy. also restricts the HOV lane only during rush hours, Mon. thru Fri.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2013, 03:56:37 PM
What advantage is there to full-time?

Probably more useful on roads with significant congestion outside of rush hour. Though I can't think of any freeway that has bad enough traffic at 3am to warrant an HOV lane.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 26, 2013, 05:17:53 PM

Probably more useful on roads with significant congestion outside of rush hour. Though I can't think of any freeway that has bad enough traffic at 3am to warrant an HOV lane.

3am is an extreme example.  I remember I-95 around Fort Lauderdale being wedged by about 4pm, while the carpool lane became carpool-only around 5.

I think somewhere between "full-time" and "about 3 hours a day" is the correct choice.  I wonder what causes transportation departments to gravitate solely towards those extremes.

jake@aaroads.com

kkt

Many highways have lots of congestion at unpredictable other times.  If the road is empty enough for the HOV lane to be unrestricted, it's empty enough that the traffic will fit into the general purpose lanes.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 26, 2013, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 26, 2013, 05:17:53 PM

3am is an extreme example.  I remember I-95 around Fort Lauderdale being wedged by about 4pm, while the carpool lane became carpool-only around 5.

I think somewhere between "full-time" and "about 3 hours a day" is the correct choice.  I wonder what causes transportation departments to gravitate solely towards those extremes.

I think rather than go to the effort of doing a study to determine at what hours the road is backed up they just figured it'd be easier to go all the way with a 24/7 lane or just do it during rush hours.
There are plenty of roads around here that are backed up long outside the HOV hours.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

there are times that are not quite rush hour where opening the carpool lane to general use would increase traffic flow quality. 

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 26, 2013, 05:28:06 PM
I think rather than go to the effort of doing a study to determine at what hours the road is backed up they just figured it'd be easier to go all the way with a 24/7 lane or just do it during rush hours.

This might have been NDOT's approach on the US 95 HOV lanes in Las Vegas. They originally opened as 24/7, but have since been scaled back to about 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon on weekdays.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on February 28, 2013, 01:33:30 AM

This might have been NDOT's approach on the US 95 HOV lanes in Las Vegas. They originally opened as 24/7, but have since been scaled back to about 3 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon on weekdays.
Are the HOV lanes on US 95 "continuous access" like in Northern California or are they "limited access" like in most of Southern California?  I seem to recall the US 95 HOV lane was separated from the general purpose lanes by a single solid white line but it's been a while since I drove that portion of US 95.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

swbrotha100

Quote from: myosh_tino on February 28, 2013, 02:30:04 AM

Are the HOV lanes on US 95 "continuous access" like in Northern California or are they "limited access" like in most of Southern California?  I seem to recall the US 95 HOV lane was separated from the general purpose lanes by a single solid white line but it's been a while since I drove that portion of US 95.

I think those HOV lanes are similar to the ones on the freeways in the Phoenix area.

Road Hog

I hate HOV lanes. They are terribly inefficient. I understand the sentiment behind them – to encourage carpooling – but in terms of people count per hour (not to mention vehicle count, of course), they carry way less than any one of the main lanes. I think a lot of states have recognized this problem belatedly and are going to a managed-toll-lane design.

If fuel savings is the end goal, then more fuel can be saved by opening up that extra mostly-empty lane, relieving congestion, and avoiding cars wastefully idling in a traffic stack-up.

kkt

Quote from: Road Hog on February 28, 2013, 07:07:40 PM
I hate HOV lanes. They are terribly inefficient. I understand the sentiment behind them – to encourage carpooling – but in terms of people count per hour (not to mention vehicle count, of course), they carry way less than any one of the main lanes.wastefully idling in a traffic stack-up.

Encouraging carpooling is not the only purpose.  Here, express busses use the HOV lanes so they can keep their schedule pretty well during traffic jams.  It works pretty well, the busses run full during rush hour and here the passenger count is higher in the HOV lane than the general purpose lanes.

roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on February 28, 2013, 02:30:04 AM

US 95's HOV lanes are separated by a single solid stripe and are continuous access. They say it's to discourage darting in and out of the lanes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Quote from: Road Hog on February 28, 2013, 07:07:40 PM
I hate HOV lanes. They are terribly inefficient. I understand the sentiment behind them – to encourage carpooling – but in terms of people count per hour (not to mention vehicle count, of course), they carry way less than any one of the main lanes. I think a lot of states have recognized this problem belatedly and are going to a managed-toll-lane design.

If fuel savings is the end goal, then more fuel can be saved by opening up that extra mostly-empty lane, relieving congestion, and avoiding cars wastefully idling in a traffic stack-up.

As I've mentioned before, the mainline lanes carrying more cars does not necessarily equate to less throughput for the highway as a whole.  Fewer lanes means less lane changing, which keeps the flow steadier, which helps maintain throughput.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

It also means that a single slow poke can ruin the driving experience for everyone else.  I'm not normally a left lane blocker, but I WILL exhibit that behavior on I-490 between NY 31F and NY 96 at Bushnell's Basin, simply because if I don't, I'll get trapped by someone going 10 mph under the limit in the right lane with no opportunity to pass because of traffic.  Traffic moves slower than it otherwise would because NYSDOT never built the extra lanes that have been planned for 20 years now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.