News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Automobile Club of Southern California (ACSC)

Started by ACSC Collector, July 16, 2013, 10:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSC Collector

Since there are many subjects of signs, highways, maps and other road nostalgia, we seem to be forgetting one of the most important factors in road building and that is our auto clubs. The Automobile Club of Southern California was by far one of the biggest automobile organizations in the U.S. and one of the longest. Started in 1900 by just a fistful of organizers who were fortunate to own a "horseless carriage", became one of the leaders in automobile road building during the "Good Roads" era. ACSC was a major player in developing California roads and superseded the golden state in highway maintenance until the 1950's. I would like to hear about maps, roads , magazine articles and other ACSC subjects that might suit you fancy.

CASIGNS

For info and photos of ACSC sign try these two site:

www.caltrafficsigns.com

http://acsc-signs.blogspot.com/

Brian

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ACSC Collector

Ha, Ha! You must have been that lil' driver looking lost : ).  :hmmm:

hm insulators

When and where was that picture shot? That's a fantastic collection of signs!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

approximately 1929, probably at ACSC headquarters.

jake@aaroads.com

ACSC Collector

I drive by the ACSC headquarters all the time so I will look to see if that house is still standing. The area certainly does not look the same anymore. USC campus is right next door. That is where the ACSC archives are stored.

The High Plains Traveler

I find NOTICE THIS IS NOT A THROUGH ROAD to be way more succinct than DEAD END.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

myosh_tino

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 23, 2013, 10:25:58 PM
That road sign from the ACSC later evolved into the Caltrans' standard "NOT A THROUGH STREET" sign.  Sad part was when California adopted the 2003 national MUTCD, those signs were all to be replaced with "DEAD END" signs from the SHSM manual.  :-(
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

I'm struggling to understand how 'NOTICE THIS IS NOT A THROUGH ROAD' is a more succinct message than 'DEAD END'... "Succinct" means compact, brief or concise--expressing something clearly in few words...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

incorrect.  it's NOTICE THIS IS NOT A THROUGH ROAD AUTOMOBILE CLUB SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.

much more concise.

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: roadfro on July 24, 2013, 04:47:53 AM

I'm struggling to understand how 'NOTICE THIS IS NOT A THROUGH ROAD' is a more succinct message than 'DEAD END'... "Succinct" means compact, brief or concise--expressing something clearly in few words...
Did I forget my [irony][/irony] tags? I was commenting on a sign  that, even for the early days of road signage, was extremely wordy (the NOTICE part especially).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 24, 2013, 12:44:20 AM
That road sign from the ACSC later evolved into the Caltrans' standard "NOT A THROUGH STREET" sign.  Sad part was when California adopted the 2003 national MUTCD, those signs were all to be replaced with "DEAD END" signs from the SHSM manual.  :-(
Oddly, California was the first place I'd ever seen "NO OUTLET" signs as a kid, since NJ uses "DEAD END" exclusively.

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 19, 2013, 09:40:05 AM

:sombrero:
An old schoolyard one block from my house still has those old STOP signs, minus the ACSC logo at the bottom.

ACSC Collector

Amazing, Kings County line and San Gabriel city limits on the same sign post. No wonder that lil' tyke is confused! :happy:

Alps

Quote from: Quillz on July 24, 2013, 07:58:11 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 19, 2013, 09:40:05 AM

:sombrero:
An old schoolyard one block from my house still has those old STOP signs, minus the ACSC logo at the bottom.
Old = former yard? They can be yours! (And we want photos.)

Quillz

It's still actively in use, unfortunately. The school has long closed down, but a music academy meets there several times a week.

Also note that where the ACSC logo would be, instead it says "LAPD."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.