News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwy 61 Revisited

If it were a true beltway, there would be access ramps to both directions of I-476.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

webny99

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on July 08, 2020, 08:21:11 PM
If it were a true beltway, there would be access ramps to both directions of I-476.

Bypass seems like the more appropriate term. The new ramps connecting to I-81 to/from the north will be a bypass within a bypass if they ever come fruition.

sbeaver44

Drove through Reading today, checked out River Rd.  It has Jersey barriers at the intersection with Buttonwood St.  What's the story here?

Alps

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 18, 2020, 09:16:29 PM
Drove through Reading today, checked out River Rd.  It has Jersey barriers at the intersection with Buttonwood St.  What's the story here?
It doesn't continue... they never built the connecting stretch north.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alps on July 18, 2020, 10:26:24 PM
Ahh the good old highway that was supposed to go to KOP or somewhere else.

I asked about that as well & someone posted the wiki page about it.

Basically its the good old fashion PA system.

Create plans.

Actually start plans.

Plans run out of money.

Plans never happen.

Edit: Added link

https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/pa/pa_23/p.html

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Crown Victoria

There's been a project in the works for years to connect this part of River Road to the section further north, however progress has moved at a glacial pace (we're in PA, surprise!). According to the draft TIP for 2021-2024 for the Reading area, some work should begin soon, possibly this year or next.
https://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Planning/Documents/Transportation/FFY2021-2024_TIP/03Section2.pdf

74/171FAN

Quote from: Tonytone on July 18, 2020, 10:28:37 PM

Create plans.

Actually start plans.

Plans run out of money.

Plans never happen.

iPhone

I think we are starting to get confused over PA stubs and missing freeways.  The Reading one in the photo and the PA 23 ones (Schuylkill Parkway and the Goat Path) are unrelated.  Though you are right that many of these projects stopped during construction as a result of running out of funding.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Tonytone

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 19, 2020, 09:24:09 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 18, 2020, 10:28:37 PM

Create plans.

Actually start plans.

Plans run out of money.

Plans never happen.

iPhone

I think we are starting to get confused over PA stubs and missing freeways.  The Reading one in the photo and the PA 23 ones (Schuylkill Parkway and the Goat Path) are unrelated.  Though you are right that many of these projects stopped during construction as a result of running out of funding.
Even though they are all 3 different projects. If it was built it was all on the same route.

iPhone

Alex4897

Quote from: Tonytone on July 19, 2020, 09:30:20 AM
Even though they are all 3 different projects. If it was built it was all on the same route.
That's not even remotely true, the PA 23 stubs were part of the Lancaster - Norristown Expressway, part of a relief route along PA 23 itself between Lancaster and Norristown, the link you posted said as much already. PA 23 doesn't go anywhere near Reading, and Reading is nowhere near the straight line drawn between Lancaster and Norristown. Not to mention those inter-city connections are already satisfied by the US 222 freeway and the partial US 422 freeway.
👉😎👉

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 19, 2020, 12:37:56 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 19, 2020, 09:30:20 AM
That's not even remotely true, the PA 23 stubs were part of the Lancaster - Norristown Expressway, part of a relief route along PA 23 itself between Lancaster and Norristown, the link you posted said as much already. PA 23 doesn't go anywhere near Reading, and Reading is nowhere near the straight line drawn between Lancaster and Norristown. Not to mention those inter-city connections are already satisfied by the US 222 freeway and the partial US 422 freeway.
You're right. I just found out about the Reading highway. I thought it was the Bridgeport stub.

However the Goat Path & Parkway were gonna connect if completed. If I looked at the two plans correctly.

iPhone

Roadsguy

Does anyone know if actually extending the four lane section of River Road from the stub at Buttonwood Street to connect to PA 183 is still being planned? The project called the River Road Extension doesn't do this, but simply connects the northernmost end of River Road (where it becomes Spring Street) to Windsor Street to allow better access to PA 183.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 19, 2020, 02:15:31 PM
Does anyone know if actually extending the four lane section of River Road from the stub at Buttonwood Street to connect to PA 183 is still being planned? The project called the River Road Extension doesn't do this, but simply connects the northernmost end of River Road (where it becomes Spring Street) to Windsor Street to allow better access to PA 183.

As far as I know it still is planned, but who knows when it will actually happen. I've been trying to find some information but no luck so far. Having a fully complete River Road would be beneficial for opening up the old industrial area along the proposed route, as well as providing a connection if North Wyomissing Blvd. is ever extended across the Schuylkill River (waxing Fictional here...).

74/171FAN

The FONSI and EA are up for I-83 East Shore Section 2 as of the July 2020 Update.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Ketchup99

Question about PA speed limits. As we all know, rural freeways are 65 or 70, with a couple stubs at 55. Seems to me like many limits could be raised, and new 75 or 80 zones implemented. What does everyone think? Potential 75-80 zones include I-80 (everything west of 380), I-81 (I-78 to I-80), I-99 (south of State College, except Altoona), Turnpike (tons), I-79 (north of Turnpike), I-90 ("BuT iTs An UrBaN aReA!"), and I-84 (east of Scranton there's nothing and you can slow down for yourself on curves), US-322 (Lewistown-Harrisburg), US-15 (south of the Dillsburg quagmire and the future I-99 part), and the large parts of the NE Extension. Are there any I missed?

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Ketchup99 on July 21, 2020, 10:48:09 PM
....US-15 (south of the Dillsburg quagmire.....)
You can say that again.  I hate that stretch when going to my in-laws.  Anyone know of plans in the works to bypass Dillsburg on 15 or otherwise eliminate the signalized intersections?

seicer

At least I-99 north of State College is now 65 MPH, up from 55 MPH! I think I said it here before, but there is no uniform rationale for speed limits in the state.

Bitmapped

Question about PA speed limits. As we all know, rural freeways are 65 or 70, with a couple stubs at 55. Seems to me like many limits could be raised, and new 75 or 80 zones implemented. What does everyone think? Potential 75-80 zones include I-80 (everything west of 380), I-81 (I-78 to I-80), I-99 (south of State College, except Altoona), Turnpike (tons), I-79 (north of Turnpike), I-90 ("BuT iTs An UrBaN aReA!"), and I-84 (east of Scranton there's nothing and you can slow down for yourself on curves), US-322 (Lewistown-Harrisburg), US-15 (south of the Dillsburg quagmire and the future I-99 part), and the large parts of the NE Extension. Are there any I missed?

You're not going to see 75mph or 80mph zones. The design speeds of the roads don't support it.

It would be better to focus on eliminating the arbitrary speed zones, like the 55mph "urban area" zones on I-79 near Pittsburgh and I-99 near Altoona, and the 45mph traffic signal zones on US 22 between Monroeville and Ebensburg. Stuff like this is probably more supported from an engineering perspective. It's also going to give the most "bang for the buck" in terms of aligning speed limits with driver expectations.

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 21, 2020, 11:32:06 PM

You're not going to see 75mph or 80mph zones. The design speeds of the roads don't support it.

It would be better to focus on eliminating the arbitrary speed zones, like the 55mph "urban area" zones on I-79 near Pittsburgh and I-99 near Altoona, and the 45mph traffic signal zones on US 22 between Monroeville and Ebensburg. Stuff like this is probably more supported from an engineering perspective. It's also going to give the most "bang for the buck" in terms of aligning speed limits with driver expectations.

What about the 219 freeway?
--David Byrne

Ketchup99

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 21, 2020, 10:57:09 PM
....US-15 (south of the Dillsburg quagmire.....)
You can say that again.  I hate that stretch when going to my in-laws.  Anyone know of plans in the works to bypass Dillsburg on 15 or otherwise eliminate the signalized intersections?
God, that would be nice. As a part of the I-83 project, I'd like to see Rochester-Harrisburg be I-83 and then Harrisburg-DC (via 15 and I-270) as 83W and Harrisburg-Baltimore-Annapolis as 83E. I have a diagram of what the full freeway conversion in and around Dillsburg might look like:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1h01yUIPZu3unhxPD2BXuBZEIZi8aOuAq&usp=sharing
This also deals with the mess of the 581/15 interchange. Sadly I don't think either part of my plan has a chance.
75 would be permitted south of the point called "75mph speed limit line" and potentially 55 would remain north of it, maybe 65. Traffic flows around the latter.

Ketchup99

I don't know what the actual design speeds of these roadways are, but I've driven all of the roadways in question (except I-90 and US-322 - 75mph) comfortably at 80mph or better. Many have very little traffic - I-99 south of Altoona probably has the least.

Hwy 61 Revisited

--David Byrne

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ketchup99 on July 22, 2020, 09:42:52 AM

I don't know what the actual design speeds of these roadways are, but I've driven all of the roadways in question (except I-90 and US-322 - 75mph) comfortably at 80mph or better. Many have very little traffic - I-99 south of Altoona probably has the least.

Did you drive them in a fully loaded, 80,000 pound 18 wheeler?

Design speeds take into account all traffic.  Not just your comfort level.  If the design speed was 70 mph, it doesn't mean you'll crash at 72 mph.  Likewise, if the design speed was 70 mph, it doesn't mean you'll survive a crash going 68 mph.

Ketchup99

A speed limit doesn't require traveling at it. If your truck is governed to 65, then you can keep going 65. A truck/car differential of 10-15mph is by no means unheard of. If we want to avoid trucks going 75-80, we can hold the truck limit at 70. And many states have limits above 70 with trucks governed to 65 and it's fine.

61, thanks for the traffic counts. They seem to (at first glance) confirm what I was saying about I-99.

MASTERNC

I do wish they'd post more highways at 70 MPH.  An example would be US 222 north of Lancaster.  Traffic already goes over 70 MPH anyway, and the road is rather wide (i.e. no major geometric deficiencies)

Hwy 61 Revisited

--David Byrne

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.