News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qguy

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 24, 2020, 08:11:05 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 22, 2020, 10:34:27 AM
A Berks County landmark along I-78 closes forever...

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/roadside-america-closes-after-85-years-in-business/article_d4df6b22-2cc2-11eb-a453-5748f3fac08c.html?fbclid=IwAR1uXwOHX-dBzVzMxjfZviGVEmvZ3PoVxbs6DBjrlOtL9vizyGygs09XbUs
I'll be honest, I thought this place was a tourist trap; something like South of the Border and Wall Drug. Never stopped by - didn't look interesting and I was always on trips to better places.

No, the place was amazing. Trains and buildings everywhere. Many buttons to push to activate various features. All very three-dimensional. Once an hour, it would run through a night cycle as well. The house lights would go dark, all the little street lights and buildings' inner lights would sequence on, the moon and stars would shine, a flag would fly, and a recording of Kate Smith singing God Bless America would play. Very patriotic.

It was one of my favorite places. I visited with my family a few times as a boy and took my own kids there a few times. Glad I did. So sad to see it go.

ixnay

Quote from: qguy on November 24, 2020, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on November 24, 2020, 08:11:05 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 22, 2020, 10:34:27 AM
A Berks County landmark along I-78 closes forever...

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/roadside-america-closes-after-85-years-in-business/article_d4df6b22-2cc2-11eb-a453-5748f3fac08c.html?fbclid=IwAR1uXwOHX-dBzVzMxjfZviGVEmvZ3PoVxbs6DBjrlOtL9vizyGygs09XbUs
I'll be honest, I thought this place was a tourist trap; something like South of the Border and Wall Drug. Never stopped by - didn't look interesting and I was always on trips to better places.

No, the place was amazing. Trains and buildings everywhere. Many buttons to push to activate various features. All very three-dimensional. Once an hour, it would run through a night cycle as well. The house lights would go dark, all the little street lights and buildings' inner lights would sequence on, the moon and stars would shine, a flag would fly, and a recording of Kate Smith singing God Bless America would play. Very patriotic.

It was one of my favorite places. I visited with my family a few times as a boy and took my own kids there a few times. Glad I did. So sad to see it go.

Even as a little lad, for some reason I was always less of a fan of toy trains than the 12-inch-to-the-foot scale variety (although I did have a basic Lionel set back then), but I was at Roadside America twice (a quarter century apart) and enjoyed it, especially the interactive elements.

Now Shartlesville's only active landmark is across I-78 from RA:  the antenna farm for Reading's 830 am. :)

I'll withhold judgment on South of the Border as I have never stopped there (although my mother and stepfather [RIP to the latter] did and were unimpressed).  As for Wall Drug, I have been no closer to the Dakotas than Cincinnati or the DFW metroplex (specifcally their main airports).

ixnay

dkblake

Quote from: ixnay on November 26, 2020, 12:12:18 PM

I'll withhold judgment on South of the Border as I have never stopped there (although my mother and stepfather [RIP to the latter] did and were unimpressed).  As for Wall Drug, I have been no closer to the Dakotas than Cincinnati or the DFW metroplexm (specifcally their main airports).

ixnay

I was at Wall Drug maybe 7 or 8 years ago and it was honestly totally unmemorable? Far more memorable were the alien vistas of the Badlands and sunset over the absolute nothingness of I-90 through central South Dakota.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

tylert120

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 11, 2020, 06:52:03 PM
The US 422 Schuylkill River Bridges project should be completed next week.

The roadway has been fully open for a few weeks now and the speed limit is up to 55 MPH (higher than pre-construction).

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

QuotePA 29 Realignment in Collegeville for new Royal Farms location:  https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-6/pages/details.aspx?newsid=6258

The Collegeville Borough News Facebook page stated that the realignment opened on November 18th.

rickmastfan67

74/171FAN

jemacedo9

Tonytone

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 17, 2020, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 17, 2020, 07:47:05 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 17, 2020, 02:39:17 PM
I-80 Westbound Still Closed After Clinton County Crash Involving 66 Vehicles

One westbound lane is open on I-80 now.

Every winter there seems to be one of these multi-vehicle crashes on I-80...the photos looked crazy,
What im confused about is why do people really speed in the snow especially with PA's Hilly, curvy & potholed roads it just doesn't make sense.

The suvs & the trucks are the main culprits zooming by because they have 4WD only to see them in a ditch or crushed up against the median wall down the road.

Slow down in inclement weather folks!!

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

74/171FAN

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 17, 2020, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 17, 2020, 07:47:05 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 17, 2020, 02:39:17 PM
I-80 Westbound Still Closed After Clinton County Crash Involving 66 Vehicles

One westbound lane is open on I-80 now.

Every winter there seems to be one of these multi-vehicle crashes on I-80...the photos looked crazy,

There are enough days of snow squalls coming from Lake Erie in the winter to make me cautious driving northwest of Harrisburg this time of year. (though they reach here some days)

seicer

I haven't been in any snow-related accidents, but I can attest to being stuck in several major traffic jams because of snow.

I remember being on Interstate 80 several years ago in clear weather and running into an intense snow squall that led to white-out conditions within seconds. I slowed down from 80 MPH to around 45 MPH and put on my hazards and most other vehicles were doing the same. It didn't matter as a tractor-trailer had jackknifed up ahead. I was able to stop in time but others were not at lucky.

About 10 years ago, I was running fairly fast on a relatively clear Interstate 75 near Findlay, Ohio and hit a snow squall. I slowed to about 55 MPH and went into the right lane to let a tractor-trailer pass who then proceeded to jacknife in front of me. I started to slow down (but not slam on the brakes), watching the truck swerve off the left shoulder, cross in front of me and then veer down into the berm on the right.

Gnutella

Quote from: Tonytone on December 17, 2020, 08:05:44 PM
What im confused about is why do people really speed in the snow especially with PA's Hilly, curvy & potholed roads it just doesn't make sense.

Because I-80 is not potholed and has plenty of straight segments. Add in some dumb drivers, and you get pile-ups in the snow.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Gnutella on December 18, 2020, 03:18:49 AM

Because I-80 is not potholed and has plenty of straight segments. Add in some dumb drivers, and you get pile-ups in the snow.

Yep.  There's nothing really unique about PA that you don't find in other states.  And this seemingly yearly issue of accidents on their roads isn't in one spot or on one highway, but has occurred all over the state.  Just drivers who absolutely refuse to slow down properly, and think they can speed their way thru a snowstorm.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 18, 2020, 08:38:25 AM
Quote from: Gnutella on December 18, 2020, 03:18:49 AM

Yep.  There's nothing really unique about PA that you don't find in other states.  And this seemingly yearly issue of accidents on their roads isn't in one spot or on one highway, but has occurred all over the state.  Just drivers who absolutely refuse to slow down properly, and think they can speed their way thru a snowstorm.
You both are correct & in my statement it was more general to the state of PA. I understand I-80 can be hit with squalls suddenly so that you cant really plan.

However alot of PA the area I can think about most I/95 & Philly has a lot of hills in the city & 95 also has alot of curves & dips. People should exercise a little more caution. But this isnt just a PA problem as Jeff has pointed out this is just regular human behavior. Happens everywhere

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

TheGrassGuy

Where can I find a list of every quadrant route in PA? The lists on Wikipedia are incomplete (e.g. Bucks County only lists two 3000's routes and zero 4000's routes), and they only exist for about a third of the counties.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

74/171FAN

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 04, 2021, 01:35:59 PM
Where can I find a list of every quadrant route in PA? The lists on Wikipedia are incomplete (e.g. Bucks County only lists two 3000's routes and zero 4000's routes), and they only exist for about a third of the counties.

The best that I know of would be the SLDs

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 04, 2021, 01:42:14 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 04, 2021, 01:35:59 PM

The best that I know of would be the SLDs.
Wow. That's a loooong list. :wow:

TheGrassGuy

Any Wikipedia editors in here, willing to decipher the SLDs and make easily readable lists?

Hwy 61 Revisited

Went for a ride today with my parents on the newly-expanded Route 115 segment. It was somewhat trippy seeing the old PA 903 Y-intersection revised into a traffic light, but I agree that it's mostly better-designed.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.