News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 18, 2021, 06:49:50 PM
The Bridgeville proposal is peculiar and is probably designed to catch all the commuter traffic.

I'm surprised the Mon River bridge on I-70 wasn't on the list.

I believe they just finished a big rehab of the I-70 ("Speers Bridge") about 3 or so years ago, so it should hopefully not need the toll treatment (assuming this actually goes thru) for another 15-20 years.

The toll plan aside, the one article I read mentioned that they don't just want to widen I-79 in the Bridgeville area, but also want to re-design & re-construct the interchange.   I am now curious as to what a re-design will look like.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jmd41280

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 18, 2021, 06:49:50 PMI'm surprised the Mon River bridge on I-70 wasn't on the list.

I'm very thankful for that, for several reasons. For one, I cross this bridge twice daily due to my commute. Also, the resultant shunpikers would create massive traffic problems on PA 906, the 2-lane Charleroi Monessen Bridge, and PA 88 through downtown Charleroi.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.1313465,-79.8726375/40.1510735,-79.9074562/40.1229187,-79.8819233/@40.1251069,-79.9094968,13.39z/data=!4m10!4m9!1m0!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-79.8874591!2d40.1287404!3s0x88351c92f38df6f1:0x6a753318fbc31bfb!1m0!3e0
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2021, 10:56:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 19, 2021, 10:12:03 PM
My understanding is that tolling of major bridges on existing free interstates is legal as long as the money isn't diverted away from the road.  As such, unless PennDOT is planning to do something like they were with the prior I-80 tolling initiative, I would expect at least some of these to easily get approved.  The more minor bridges might be an issue.
The issue w/PA's past Act 44 & 89 initiatives is the lack of genuine transparency with regards to where the toll revenue is actually going when such are being proposed/marketed to the taxpaying public.

In the case of Act 44; while it was mentioned that a percentage of the toll revenue would go to transit agencies; most thought that such would completely go towards actual projects as opposed to allegedly subsidizing union pensions.

Act 89 was advertised & marketed completely for roadway & transit projects as a means of getting taxpayer support for such.  However, it was later discovered that revenue was also going to State Police funding; something that was never mentioned at all when marketed/advertised.  While I personally have nothing against funding the State Police; sneaking such into gas tax increases is deceptive to say the least, flat out wrong to say the most.

Given the above & PA's past flat-out reluctance to abide by federal rules for allocating revenue via tolling the fore-mentioned I-80 more than once under 2 different administrations & parties; I wouldn't trust them doing the right thing with this current plan.

For the record, the only federal approval for such has been in Rhode Island; but tolls on those highways are only charged for large commercial trucks.  The PA plan will be to charge tolls for all vehicles.
My understanding is that the plan is to do these projects as P3s, with the private company collecting the toll revenue.  Unless you're insinuating that PennDOT is lying?

While the RI truck tolls are the only time I know of this tolling authority going through, it's not the only attempt.  Also see CT's tolling plan and the I-10 bridges around Mobile, AL - both of these plans would have tolled all vehicles, and it was politics that shot them down, not the feds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

famartin

I'm guessing PennDOT got the memo about not using VMS's for non-road messages (drove I-95 in Philly on Tuesday, still had the COVID quarantine messages, today they are gone).

74/171FAN

Quote from: famartin on February 20, 2021, 11:11:46 PM
I'm guessing PennDOT got the memo about not using VMS's for non-road messages (drove I-95 in Philly on Tuesday, still had the COVID quarantine messages, today they are gone).

Yeah I did not see any COVID quarantine messages on I-99, I-80, I-180, etc. yesterday either.

When they closed the I-83 South Bridge NB one weekend last month, all the COVID quarantine messages in Harrisburg and York were replaced with messages related to the I-83 closure.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Mr_Northside on February 20, 2021, 04:48:36 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on February 18, 2021, 06:49:50 PM
The Bridgeville proposal is peculiar and is probably designed to catch all the commuter traffic.

I'm surprised the Mon River bridge on I-70 wasn't on the list.

I believe they just finished a big rehab of the I-70 ("Speers Bridge") about 3 or so years ago, so it should hopefully not need the toll treatment (assuming this actually goes thru) for another 15-20 years.

The toll plan aside, the one article I read mentioned that they don't just want to widen I-79 in the Bridgeville area, but also want to re-design & re-construct the interchange.   I am now curious as to what a re-design will look like.

That whole area is substandard (45 MPH, no acceleration lanes) and will need to be replaced in order to remedy those issues, especially if they are modernizing the rest of I-70

74/171FAN

PennDOT: Work to Realign Routes 160/756 (Elton Intersection) to Begin

In reality, this is a realignment of PA 756 just west of the PA 160 intersection.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on February 20, 2021, 10:58:21 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 19, 2021, 10:56:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 19, 2021, 10:12:03 PM
My understanding is that tolling of major bridges on existing free interstates is legal as long as the money isn't diverted away from the road.  As such, unless PennDOT is planning to do something like they were with the prior I-80 tolling initiative, I would expect at least some of these to easily get approved.  The more minor bridges might be an issue.
The issue w/PA's past Act 44 & 89 initiatives is the lack of genuine transparency with regards to where the toll revenue is actually going when such are being proposed/marketed to the taxpaying public.

In the case of Act 44; while it was mentioned that a percentage of the toll revenue would go to transit agencies; most thought that such would completely go towards actual projects as opposed to allegedly subsidizing union pensions.

Act 89 was advertised & marketed completely for roadway & transit projects as a means of getting taxpayer support for such.  However, it was later discovered that revenue was also going to State Police funding; something that was never mentioned at all when marketed/advertised.  While I personally have nothing against funding the State Police; sneaking such into gas tax increases is deceptive to say the least, flat out wrong to say the most.

Given the above & PA's past flat-out reluctance to abide by federal rules for allocating revenue via tolling the fore-mentioned I-80 more than once under 2 different administrations & parties; I wouldn't trust them doing the right thing with this current plan.

For the record, the only federal approval for such has been in Rhode Island; but tolls on those highways are only charged for large commercial trucks.  The PA plan will be to charge tolls for all vehicles.
My understanding is that the plan is to do these projects as P3s, with the private company collecting the toll revenue.  Unless you're insinuating that PennDOT is lying?
Given the past lack of transparency; I wouldn't be surprised and that isn't exclusively directed towards PennDOT.

Quote from: vdeane on February 20, 2021, 10:58:21 PM
While the RI truck tolls are the only time I know of this tolling authority going through, it's not the only attempt.  Also see CT's tolling plan and the I-10 bridges around Mobile, AL - both of these plans would have tolled all vehicles, and it was politics that shot them down, not the feds.
While I can't answer for the I-10 bridges in Mobile, AL (such example reads to be only for one of road as opposed to several Interstates in AL); we will likely never know whether the feds would've approved the CT tolls had Gov. Lamont not jumped the shark by including I-684 in his tolling plan as well as Westchester County, NY objecting to what was basically a blindside.

In short, attempting to implement tolls vs. actually doing such are two very different things.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ketchup99

For what it's worth, I saw quarantine signs on US-322 between State College and Lewistown on Friday.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Ketchup99 on February 22, 2021, 06:15:40 PM
For what it's worth, I saw quarantine signs on US-322 between State College and Lewistown on Friday.

I probably should have mentioned that the VMS's I saw on Saturday all were referring to potential changing winter conditions along I-99 due to flurries that resulted from the lake effect snow coming from Lake Erie.

famartin

Quote from: Ketchup99 on February 22, 2021, 06:15:40 PM
Maybe they came down Friday night or some districts  following through when others aren't. Was on 95 in Philly again tonight and all the covid signs are still gone. I think all are now time to locations.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 19, 2021, 04:18:45 PM
The I-79 project sees to be a move to capitalize on Southern Beltway future shunpikers.

Just heard on the news is that it's suppose to help fund 3-laning I-79 there.

MASTERNC

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 23, 2021, 11:16:34 PM
The I-79 project sees to be a move to capitalize on Southern Beltway future shunpikers.

I just don't see the need right now - there is no congestion on 79 in that area.  The congestion is on the intersecting roadway because of all the exiting traffic and a T intersection just beyond the interchange that leads to two-lane roads.

74/171FAN

PennDOT: Potters Mills Work to Resume March 1

This work is specifically for the old US 322 alignment (SR 2015).

And for more US 322 construction:

PennDOT:  Work to Start Wednesday on Route 322 Near Philipsburg

Bitmapped

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 24, 2021, 08:39:31 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 23, 2021, 11:16:34 PM

I just don't see the need right now - there is no congestion on 79 in that area.  The congestion is on the intersecting roadway because of all the exiting traffic and a T intersection just beyond the interchange that leads to two-lane roads.

I-79 is relatively busy in general, often with restricted passing opportunities in the 2-lane part south of Bridgeville. It is congested at rush hour.

74/171FAN

PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Interstate 80 - North Fork Bridges Project, Jefferson County

Comments will be accepted until March 22, 2021.  The big note here is that I-80 EB will be realigned to parallel the new I-80 WB bridge.

jemacedo9

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 01, 2021, 02:26:31 PM
PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Interstate 80 - North Fork Bridges Project, Jefferson County

Comments will be accepted until March 22, 2021.  The big note here is that I-80 EB will be realigned to parallel the new I-80 WB bridge.
...which solves the construction staging problem...the same thing was done on the Susquehanna River East Branch crossing...build the EB structure on a new alignment, switch WB to to the new structure and rebuild the WB structure, then place both directions on the new structures and then demolish the old EB structure.  (I think the Susq crossing was the switched opposite of this.)

Alps

But the big question: will it be tolled.

Roadsguy

The bridges look to be wide enough for three lanes each way!
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 01, 2021, 10:05:34 PM

The bridges look to be wide enough for three lanes each way!

The proposed bridges do have a 27-foot inside shoulder, but I suspect this is more with the idea of supporting future climbing lanes here than with the thought that I-80 is going to be 6-laned across Pennsylvania.

74/171FAN

PennDOT Update on US 15 south of Dillsburg: Project on Route 15 in Adams and York Counties to Begin Sunday Night

Of note here is a new jughandle on US 15 at County Line Road.  I am unsure if this is the project where a bunch of crossovers were planned to be closed. 

Roadsguy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 05, 2021, 03:04:19 PM
PennDOT Update on US 15 south of Dillsburg: Project on Route 15 in Adams and York Counties to Begin Sunday Night

Of note here is a new jughandle on US 15 at County Line Road.  I am unsure if this is the project where a bunch of crossovers were planned to be closed.

This is that project; I just checked the plans on ECMS. All intersections on the at-grade expressway section between York Springs and Dillsburg will be converted to superstreet intersections or just plain RIROs, and the accel/decel lanes at the PA 94 interchange will be lengthened on the north side (not the south side, though, because they won't be widening the bridge over PA 94).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sbeaver44

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 06, 2021, 11:40:36 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 05, 2021, 03:04:19 PM

This is that project; I just checked the plans on ECMS. All intersections on the at-grade expressway section between York Springs and Dillsburg will be converted to superstreet intersections or just plain RIROs, and the accel/decel lanes at the PA 94 interchange will be lengthened on the north side (not the south side, though, because they won't be widening the bridge over PA 94).
And still I'm sure PennDOT wouldn't up the speed limit from 55.  I still think these are good safety improvements.  Maybe this is a time to test a 60 zone.

Ketchup99

The Legislature would have to approve it if the limit were to exceed 55.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.