News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketchup99

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 19, 2021, 11:17:05 AM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 19, 2021, 09:25:28 AM
Perhaps, but remember PA cannot legally post 60, and I can't really see 65 ever being posted on much of the Schuylkill. Not saying it shouldn't be, but that's not even imaginable.
Although such was a Work-Zone Speed Limit but I did see some Speed Limit 60 signs along I-99's current work zones.  The regular speed limit there is 70.

The above was the first time I've seen a SPEED LIMIT 60 sign in PA.
Recently? Where?

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 19, 2021, 11:52:26 AM
Perhaps, but remember PA cannot legally post 60, and I can't really see 65 ever being posted on much of the Schuylkill. Not saying it shouldn't be, but that's not even imaginable.
Although such was a Work-Zone Speed Limit but I did see some Speed Limit 60 signs along I-99's current work zones.  The regular speed limit there is 70.

Recently? Where?

I can also attest to seeing a Work Zone Speed Limit 60 sign recently here in PA. I also don't remember exactly where, but I think it was either I-78 or the PA Turnpike out by Somerset.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Crown Victoria on May 19, 2021, 12:14:43 PM

Recently? Where?

I can also attest to seeing a Work Zone Speed Limit 60 sign recently here in PA. I also don't remember exactly where, but I think it was either I-78 or the PA Turnpike out by Somerset.

There was one on I-79 in Cranberry when they were redoing a pair of bridges.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 19, 2021, 11:50:02 AM
Variable speed limits really should only be implemented when there is an active roadway hazard (roadwork, fog, construction, accident, etc.) The entire NJ Turnpike has variable speed limits, but its rare to see them set below the normal 55/65 unless there is some sort of triggering event. Normal traffic congestion isn't one of them!
Traffic congestion? Wouldn't traffic just slow down naturally?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JREwing78

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2021, 05:21:00 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 19, 2021, 11:50:02 AM
Variable speed limits really should only be implemented when there is an active roadway hazard (roadwork, fog, construction, accident, etc.) The entire NJ Turnpike has variable speed limits, but its rare to see them set below the normal 55/65 unless there is some sort of triggering event. Normal traffic congestion isn't one of them!
Traffic congestion? Wouldn't traffic just slow down naturally?
They want to avoid the really sudden stops, caused by impacting another vehicle, a guardrail, a bridge, etc.

Or, at least have the speeds slow enough that the stops aren't deadly.

empirestate

Is that kind of like how you can't get an 18-pack of beer?

Roadgeekteen

Ah, bureaucracy. Because the law said "65" and not "up to 65", they can't post 60. Typical politicians.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

While perhaps urban speed limits could go above 55 mph, even if they are to be capped at 55 mph, the variable speed limits should be realistic in the fact they don't just drop to 35 mph cause a work truck is parked on the shoulder. At least only lower it from the default (low or not) limit when there's truly congestion.

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 12:03:05 AM
Ah, bureaucracy. Because the law said "65" and not "up to 65", they can't post 60. Typical politicians.

Mm, I'd say typical lawyers. The exact construction of language is a big part of their course of study.

On the other hand, the typical politician probably is a lawyer, so you've got one there!

PHLBOS

Recently? Where?
As recent as 3 weeks ago.  Along I-99 about 2 miles north of the Turnpike.  The zone is about 10 miles long.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ketchup99

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 20, 2021, 10:42:36 AM

Recently? Where?
As recent as 3 weeks ago.  Along I-99 about 2 miles north of the Turnpike.  The zone is about 10 miles long.
Interesting, might go check it out and see if it's still there.

MASTERNC

If you read Section 3363, it does seem to indicate that on expressways/Interstates, the speed limit can be set at the discretion of PennDOT (after a study) but not higher than 70 MPH.  Seems there is some wiggle room there.  Emphasis is mine.

Quote§ 3363.  Alteration of maximum limits.

On highways under their respective jurisdictions, local authorities subject to section 6109(e) (relating to specific powers of department and local authorities) or the department, upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation, may determine that the maximum speed permitted under this subchapter is greater or less than is reasonable and safe under the conditions found to exist upon any such highway or part thereof and establish a reasonable and safe maximum limit. The maximum speed limit may be made effective at all times or at times indicated and may vary for different weather conditions and other factors bearing on safe speeds. No maximum speed greater than 55 miles per hour shall be established under this section except on highways listed in section 3362(a)(1.1) (relating to maximum speed limits), where the maximum speed for all vehicles shall not be greater than 70 miles per hour.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 20, 2021, 05:00:02 PM

If you read Section 3363, it does seem to indicate that on expressways/Interstates, the speed limit can be set at the discretion of PennDOT (after a study) but not higher than 70 MPH.  Seems there is some wiggle room there.  Emphasis is mine.

Quote§ 3363.  Alteration of maximum limits.

On highways under their respective jurisdictions, local authorities subject to section 6109(e) (relating to specific powers of department and local authorities) or the department, upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation, may determine that the maximum speed permitted under this subchapter is greater or less than is reasonable and safe under the conditions found to exist upon any such highway or part thereof and establish a reasonable and safe maximum limit. The maximum speed limit may be made effective at all times or at times indicated and may vary for different weather conditions and other factors bearing on safe speeds. No maximum speed greater than 55 miles per hour shall be established under this section except on highways listed in section 3362(a)(1.1) (relating to maximum speed limits), where the maximum speed for all vehicles shall not be greater than 70 miles per hour.
Ok, seems like they allowed 60 when they allowed 70.

Ketchup99

3362.  Maximum speed limits.

(a)  General rule.--Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with section 3361 (relating to driving vehicle at safe speed), the limits specified in this section or established under this subchapter shall be maximum lawful speeds and no person shall drive a vehicle at a speed in excess of the following maximum limits:

(1)  35 miles per hour in any urban district.

(1.1)  65 miles per hour or 70 miles per hour for all vehicles on freeways where the department has posted a 65-miles-per-hour or 70-miles-per-hour speed limit.

(1.2)  25 miles per hour in a residence district if the highway:

(i)  is not a numbered traffic route; and

(ii)  is functionally classified by the department as a local highway.

(2)  55 miles per hour in other locations.

(3)  Any other maximum speed limit established under this subchapter.
This makes it seem like 65 and 70 only are allowed, not 60.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 20, 2021, 10:59:55 PM

(a)  General rule.--Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with section 3361 (relating to driving vehicle at safe speed), the limits specified in this section or established under this subchapter shall be maximum lawful speeds and no person shall drive a vehicle at a speed in excess of the following maximum limits:

(1.1)  65 miles per hour or 70 miles per hour for all vehicles on freeways where the department has posted a 65-miles-per-hour or 70-miles-per-hour speed limit.

:banghead:

sprjus4

The first statue posted seems to allow PennDOT to increase the speed limit up to a maximum of 70 mph on limited access highways, the second statue posted simply sets statuary limits.

So while the statutory on limited access highways is 65 mph or 70 mph, they are legally allowed to post anything up to 70 mph that's not statutory, which includes 60 mph.

Ketchup99

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 21, 2021, 12:34:00 AM
The first statue posted seems to allow PennDOT to increase the speed limit up to a maximum of 70 mph on limited access highways, the second statue posted simply sets statuary limits.

So while the statutory on limited access highways is 65 mph or 70 mph, they are legally allowed to post anything up to 70 mph that's not statutory, which includes 60 mph.
Brings up another question: If 60 is legal, does PennDOT know this?  :sombrero:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 21, 2021, 01:37:35 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 21, 2021, 12:34:00 AM

Brings up another question: If 60 is legal, does PennDOT know this?  :sombrero:

It would seem so, as it was posted.

Roadgeekteen

Does PA post 60 in work zones?

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Going by that logic, 30, 40, and 45 would appear to not be allowed either.  As such, I'm going to go with the way sprjus4 interpreted it.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 08:29:57 AM
There have been multiple examples listed of them doing just that.  Here's another from I-380.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2021, 01:11:21 PM

Going by that logic, 30, 40, and 45 would appear to not be allowed either.  As such, I'm going to go with the way sprjus4 interpreted it.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 08:29:57 AM
There have been multiple examples listed of them doing just that.  Here's another from I-380.
Then they must be allowed to post 60.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2021, 01:11:21 PM

Numeeous people need to reread the very first line of the quoted law.

The speeds listed are MAXIMUM speeds, not the only permitted speeds.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.